Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How many travelled to surgery and back on your own?

How many travelled to surgery and back on your own?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How many travelled to surgery and back on your own?

• I travelled to surgery and back on my own.
    • I travelled with at least one family member/friend.

As it turns out I may have to go to the surgery alone, and I'm curious how often other people have done this. Any comments about this topic would also be appreciated. Thanks very much.

I did it. The worst part was talking to my husband and three year old on the phone afterwards, when I was sore and miserable...I met another woman who was there having surgery the day afater - we ended up walking around town and that helped a lot....its totally do-able...

At the last minute we had a glitch and I was afraid I'd have to go alone. I was determined to go no matter what, so if I had to go alone I would have. Thankfully, it all worked out and my mom came with me.

I have to be honest, I don't know how I would have gotten through it without my mom (or someone else there to support me). I had a few rough Patches and she helped me through it.

I do know people who have gone alone and been just as successful, I just think that it helps to have support with you.

I was there in Mexico with Amy (funny) and another lady and she came by herself and had no problems at all. You can tell them to have you a wheelchair ready at the airport but the walking is good for you. I think you would be fine.

Marjon - I was considering to go alone (save $$) but Dr. K insisted that you have someone stay with you the night after surgery. FYI.. incase he didn't tell you.

Shesha, I spoke to them about that. The doc's office said that I can stay the first night in the hospital if I must travel alone. The fee for that is $500. I don't want to travel alone, believe me, but my wife is having a hard time arranging the time off, so I may have no choice.

I live in Austin and was banded on December 1, in Houston. I was sure I would be just fine. The nurse in the office said that I could stay the night in the hospital and drive home in the morning. I convinced my hsband I would be just fine.

After surgery I experienced side effects from the anestesia. Anxiety and blurred vision. I ended up calling my husband....I could NOT imagine driving the next day. My husband and I left the evening after the operation. I was greatful to have someone who could come.

I do not care what a nurse says - you never know how your body is going to react to surgery. Bring someone - or have them plan on being there post surgery.

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for your responses, I really appreciate it.

Robin, I agree, I don't want to go alone, but I may have no choice. If I do go alone I won't try to come back for at least a few days. I'll hang out in a motel in Denver and watch "General Hospital," "As the Stomach Turns," "Bands of Our Lives," and other appropriate programming as I glaze out on broth, popsicles and vicadin. Actually, it sounds pretty good when I think of it.

:sick :faint:

Well I was lucky I was driven to the hospital by my DH as it was only in another suburb. I can tell you though, I could quite easily have gotten myself to an airport and onto a plane, but no way could I have handled my luggage. I was quite mobile but not up to lugging a suitcase the next day.

Emotionally its nice to have the support but I'm sure people are thinking of ALL of us when we're under, so hopefully it'll be happy times when you get back home.

Hi Everyone:

I'm going to be banded on 1/10/07. I have to drive an hour. I'll be doing this on my own - any advice out there? I do have to stay all night. My plan was to take a dose of pain meds 2 hours before I leave so that most of it is out of my system before I drive home.

I went from Houston to MX and was very glad I packed a small carryon with wheels so I didn't have to lug anything...the walking helped...so did the coffee at the kiosk that morning! Had surgery Friday, stayed in hotel/hosp saturday and then went home early Sunday...no problems at all...

Marjon, I traveled from Georgia to Monterrey, Mexico to have my lapband surgery on my own. First time ever in Mexico and I don't speak a word of spanish and I did fine. Plan to go back by myself to get my first fill. Just use common sense: I took one piece of rolling luggage with me, so the weight of it was not an issue. Also, Dr. Rumbault has you stay in the hospital after surgery and the next day, then the next day you have to stay overnight at the hotel, (he provides transportation), then you have to be seen by him at the office before you are discharged. So, I had a couple of days to recover...by the time I was discharged, I was ready to go and felt fine. Keep in mind that there are probably going to be other people there getting banded too. I met about 15 other Americans and they kind of "adopted" me and we all hung out together. I experienced no problems and have no regrets.

Marjon, I traveled from Georgia to Monterrey, Mexico to have my lapband surgery on my own. First time ever in Mexico and I don't speak a word of spanish and I did fine. Plan to go back by myself to get my first fill. Just use common sense: I took one piece of rolling luggage with me, so the weight of it was not an issue. Also, Dr. Rumbault has you stay in the hospital after surgery and the next day, then the next day you have to stay overnight at the hotel, (he provides transportation), then you have to be seen by him at the office before you are discharged. So, I had a couple of days to recover...by the time I was discharged, I was ready to go and felt fine. Keep in mind that there are probably going to be other people there getting banded too. I met about 15 other Americans and they kind of "adopted" me and we all hung out together. I experienced no problems and have no regrets.

hey, i would appreciate any info on surgery in mexico. can you help me

thanks