Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 3-No Desire to eat.

I'm 3 weeks Post-op and just started on full liquids, Soup, yogurt and farina. I've had the same 4 oz of yogurt sitting on my desk since 9:30 and it's 11:15 now and I still have a quarter of it left. It's not like I'm not craving food, I had a dream of dipping french fries into over easy eggs 2'x since surgery. However, when it comes to eating my limited choices, I have no desire, I'd rather drink Isopure and Water all day and I'm so tired from only eating 600 calories a day. Anyone else feeling the same way?

I know how you feel. I am 2 weeks out and I just eat something because I know I need it. I only eat just enough to get me by. It is not that you don't want to eat, it is just that if you can't have something you want you would rather not eat anything!

I feel the same way! Because I dont feel hungry I don't feel like eating or get doing something and forget to eat. That is where I'm not getting enough of my fluids and not getting enough of my Protein in the day because I just don't think about eating because I don't feel the hunger pain.

I miss those days! They pass...

I'm 3 weeks Post-op and just started on full liquids' date=' Soup, yogurt and farina. I've had the same 4 oz of yogurt sitting on my desk since 9:30 and it's 11:15 now and I still have a quarter of it left. It's not like I'm not craving food, I had a dream of dipping french fries into over easy eggs 2'x since surgery. However, when it comes to eating my limited choices, I have no desire, I'd rather drink Isopure and Water all day and I'm so tired from only eating 600 calories a day. Anyone else feeling the same way?[/quote']

Yes I'm not hungry either. I'm forcing myself to eat to avoid a stall.

Guest Jason Cody

I am 14 days out and today was the first day that I have not felt hungry at all. I forced myself to eat; but if I hadn't I may not have lol.

I'm now almost 6 weeks out. I'm eating meat but now after eating it hurts, which in turns makes me still not want to eat.

I had cream of tomato/cheddar Soup this morning, and sipped on half a premier shake in coffee for a couple of hours this afternoon, but I'm not feeling the motivation to really have anything more right now. I need to get in more liquid and Protein, though - I know I've only taken in about 25 grams of protein and perhaps 24 oz of Water so far today. Don't know what's with me - I've been doing better than this up until now!

Doesn't it take like a year for the " hunger enzyme " to come back?

I thought the hunger hormone, Ghrelin, was permanently removed? Am I wrong? I know the part of the stomach they remove makes about 75% of Ghrelin and the pancreas makes the rest (why we're still a little hungry after surgery).

I will be bummed if it's true that it comes back...Anyone know?

I'm 3 weeks Post-op and just started on full liquids, Soup, yogurt and farina. I've had the same 4 oz of yogurt sitting on my desk since 9:30 and it's 11:15 now and I still have a quarter of it left. It's not like I'm not craving food, I had a dream of dipping french fries into over easy eggs 2'x since surgery. However, when it comes to eating my limited choices, I have no desire, I'd rather drink Isopure and Water all day and I'm so tired from only eating 600 calories a day. Anyone else feeling the same way?

My doctor tells his patients, "Don't eat if you're not hungry" - his patients never have a caloric goal to 'meet'. At your stage I did good to get in 350 calories. The problem with his advice, it's three years later and I am still not hungry!!! LOL It's wonderful. I wasn't getting in 600 calories for until month 4 and I never got more than 800 while I was losing. Not being hungry, it's a blessing, a good thing. Pray that your hunger never returns. I am hopeful, my 'new hunger' is an empty feeling once in a while.

I thought the hunger hormone' date=' Ghrelin, was permanently removed? Am I wrong? I know the part of the stomach they remove makes about 75% of Ghrelin and the pancreas makes the rest (why we're still a little hungry after surgery).

I will be bummed if it's true that it comes back...Anyone know?[/quote']

My understanding-and I am not a Doctor-is that after about a year the stomach hormonally 'resets' itself with the brain.So some hunger will return but definitely not to the extent of presurgery.Some people may be more or less hungrier than others but that has a lot to do with genetics,hormones,head hunger,exercise,food choices and so on.I guess we can only do the best we can with things we can actively manage.

Hunger enzyme? What is it's name . That's scary. I am doing this so as not to be hungry (my date 8/19). I never want to binge eat again or go on a driver-thru run at many resturants. I am praying my sleeve gives me the tool I need to be in control of my out of control self.

I am nearly 3 months out and the drop in my hunger is phenomenal, but I get occasional twinges and still get the urge to eat foods I just really like the taste of. My understanding is pretty much the same as Lessismore, as explained by my dr and dietician. Basically the body has amazing adaptive capacity, so don't assume you'll never be hungry again.

You'll read in these posts of many people who say they do feel hungry soon after surgery - whether that's "real" hunger or "head hunger" (your brain wanting you to eat what you did before) I can't say.

The thing to be aware of is the sleeve is quite complex in the way it works - ideally reduces hunger pangs AND increases restriction so you get feedback that stops you eating. Some find their taste for fatty or sweet food has changed. Most get a big kick start on weight loss that helps further weight loss (eg: for me, weight off my joints is making vigorous exercise do-able again). Over time vets say the restriction reduces a bit and hunger pangs can return.

Many only get one of these and for some none seem to help as much as they'd imagined. But everyone gets something.

This is why it's called a "tool" and not a "cure". The term annoys some but it makes a lot of sense to me... there's nothing guaranteed but whatever weight losing advantages you get post surgery, make the most of them... For however long they last.

Better to go in to this with your eyes wide open. I am really pleased I did it, but I didn't expect a "cure". I can still drink/eat loads of sugary and/or fatty foods if I really want to.

If someone really feels they have a food addiction, counselling will probably still be appropriate.

That is what I was trying to say Sydneysusan but not nearly as beautifully or thoroughly as you have.This wonderful post of yours should be pinned for everyone to access before and after the sleeve :)