Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yeah! After much stress, my sleeve surgery is a go...

After 3 1/2 yrs with my band (which I lost 104 lbs with, btw), we're about to part ways. Good. Causes much reflux and stomach pain. Last year, I was at my all time lowest (144) when I got a minor slip. After much unfilling/filling/tweaking, it was shown to not have changed. So I was left with whatever fill was there that didn't cause major nightime reflux. My band worked at about 50%. Sometimes it didn't feel like I even had a band. I gained 18 lbs. 2 mths ago, after 4 days of increasing stomach pain, the ER diagnosed me with a herniated band from a CT. Not only had it slipped but my stomach was protruding up over the band. I was totally unfilled and told it needed to come out. Another 12 lbs. A total of 30 gained in 18 mths.

Last month, after my appt with my surgeon about a sleeve revision, I was so excited I was getting this done. he showed me how he folds over the excess skin of the cut part of my stomach over itself reducing the chance of a leak.. Yeah. Then I went to talk to the insurance coordinator and schedule a surgery date. I found out that because I cancelled my Part B Medicare 2 yrs ago (I was paying $110 a mth for something I never used once in 12 yrs), I had to pay a $5400 drs charges in cash. Wow. I don't have $5400 lying around the house. By the time I can resign up for my Part B (July 2014) my stomach is likely to be so damaged by my band that I will have no choice but to just take it out and not revise. What to do, what to do...

We have poor credit so no loans for us. We don't own a house so no mortgage for us. We make a decent income, but it would take YEARS to save that much. A friend offered us her 0% interest for 16 mths credit card. Making 450.00 a month payments are not something that sounded good to us (we luv to travel so we'd have nothing left to travel) and we couldn't ask a friend to do that, But it's nice to fall back on if we HAD to. The last 2 weeks, we've been in Ca vacationing with my inlaws and my mom (we're from OR). My inlaws are so concerned about my bad band causing me pain. Today they offered to pay for it. Wow. Couldn't believe it. They told us there was no need to pay them back, by hubby and I talked about it today and we will eventually pay them off, little by little.

Goodbye good friend that allowed me to have more confidence in myself while losing 104 lbs. You allowed me to enjoy single digit clothing sizes, allowed me to cross my legs, polish my toe nails, and say no to seconds. I loved my band. However, it's hard to be perfect all the time and maintenance with the band is crucial. Did I follow all the rules? Nope. I ate whatever I wanted, just much less of it. So happy that my new tool will take little maintenance and will start working right away (not waiting for proper adjustment and keeping it there forever) so happy that they cut out the part of the stomach that has the ghrelin, so I won't be so hungry. Also, the part they removed is the least stretchy part keeping a stretch to a minimum. I've heard that it starts out at 2 oz and over a year can stretch to 4-8 oz, but nothing more than 8 oz. I've heard so many stories about RNY patients gaining all the weight they lost back.

Anyway, I'm so relieved. I have the best in laws in the world. My mother in law loves me so much and is so happy I married her son (we've only been married 18 mths). I think they offered me the $$ cuz she doesn't want me to get too fat so he leaves me...hubby disagrees! They've noticed my weight gain but are the most concerned about the damage the band is doing right now. I have raging nightime reflux and occasional stomach pain.

Now hopefully my stomach is good and unswollen now so they can do both surgeries at the same time.A whole new set of worries if they get in there and can only removed my band. Prayers that I wake up without most of my stomach. Can't wait to be satiated with 1/4 of a sandwich or 1/2 carton of yogurt (like I did with my new band). Please wish me luck!

Wow sounds like a lot!! But it sounds like it might be almost at an end...wishing you a lot of luck :)

What part of Oregon you from? I'm in salem who is your surgeon?

What part of Oregon you from? I'm in salem who is your surgeon?

I live in Medford (farthest South you can go in Or). I go to Dr Tersigni in Coos Bay. It's 3 hrs away but my insurance won't pay for the local dr - it has to be a Center of Excellence. Who do you go to?

I'm in oregon also- Bend. Tersigni did my band, but dr Hughes in Redmond did my revision. I love that woman!!

My band was done at salem hospital and my removal in portland and because the cost is so much lower im going to dr tersigni too :)

I live in Medford (farthest South you can go in Or). I go to Dr Tersigni in Coos Bay. It's 3 hrs away but my insurance won't pay for the local dr - it has to be a Center of Excellence. Who do you go to?

Did you like dr tersigni?

I'm in oregon also- Bend. Tersigni did my band, but dr Hughes in Redmond did my revision. I love that woman!!

I did like him but hated the drive for aftercare, and, and complications. The drive was bad from Eugene, but to Bend no way.

Dr Hughes was wonderful in taking on my fills when we moved here, and just continued my care when I had further complications and revision.

I like he and his staff too. The drive (6 hrs roundtrip) does suck tho. Especially when u have th maintenance of a band. Im looking forward to normal aftercare, not every 6 wk trips. I didn't know he was lower cost than others tho. My co pay is $5400 and I just came up with it a few days ago (my wonderful in laws that worry about my stomach). Dr T isn't really personable, but u usually see AJ (the PA) and he's very friendly and knowledgable. Altho at times I got sick of listening to the lo carb/hi Protein lectures!!!

Good luck with ur procedure! Maybe we'll meet I. The waiting room (another downside. I always wait more than an hour)