Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

today was the first day that i felt really depressed. yesterday i was told to start the phase 2 diet, well one bite of puried chicken and i felt as if i was going to die it was so painful. so today i put myself back on the Soup and liquid diet. been crying some today i was really looking forward to some different kinds of food. i read on here of people already eating regular food and heres me getting sick on one bite, i know we are all different but i feel as if all ive had is difficulty. first the bad swelling now this. yes i know its sounds as if im having a pity party but im not asking to eat myself sick i just need something more than broth and tea. im happy about the loss of weight 15lbs in 8 days, but yeah i guess i am feeling sorry for myself just alittle. thanks for all the words of advice you all have given me it does keep me strong knowing that im far from alone.

I'm so sorry to hear about this.... I haven't had my surgery yet, but I feel like you need to know someone is listening and thinking about what you have to say. I really don't know that much about about depression sometimes I ask myself am I depressed or just feeling sorry for my self????? I think I feel more emotional since I decided to get the surgery done. I notice myself crying more often.... I'm sorry you r feeling this bad... all the advise I can say is time will pass and you will get to eat just hold your head up and I'm sure you'll feel better in the morning!...... I know i will need help when my turn comes..... sorry I can't help u now.

Becky, try something besides the pureed chicken. Try some yogurt, or some mushie veggies. Sometimes chicken is an issue. I am not familiar with your prior issues with swelling, but it could have delayed your healing some, and anytime we have swelling, liquids are the answer. I think you are handling it right, and giving it some time. But when you are ready to try again---go for something besides hard Protein, even in a pureed state.

Depression is not uncommon--we are truly mourning food, and the way we used to eat. It will pass, but don't be surprised if a period of anger at the situation follows--not trying to scare, you it is just a normal part of grief, and we are greiving our loss of lifestyle and food sometimes. You are going to make it through this, and be eating soon. Til then we are here to provide support!!!

Kat

I'm still on liquids, but I read somewhere that chicken can be dry which wasn't very helpful when you first start eating "real food". I saw a lot of others on this site mentioning eating really soft things like cottage cheese and scrambled eggs when they first started out on mushy foods. I think it's a matter of progressing from Clear Liquids, to thick liquids, to soft foods, then to pureed meats. I hope your pain goes away soon!

you have to listen to your body, and not compare yourself to what others can/can't do. everybody is different, and heals differently, can tolerate different things. call your nutritionist and see what they suggest. from everything i have read so far, you have to experiment with different textures and consistencies to find what works for you. you may want to look at adding some Protein powder in, low Protein can lead to depression.

take care

Tazboobecky,

How many days are you after lap band? I had mine last Thursday so this is my seveth day. I haven't tried any mushies yet - just Soup and liquids. Cream of chicken soup tasted like the best thing! You aren't alone and feelings of loss and depression are natural. Elaine

Good advice about the foods above! Another thing to try is DISTRACTION. Go to your local library and borrow some great (preferably FUNNY) movies. I you like crafty stuff, get your hands busy, knit a scarf or something. I have had trouble with depression and chronic pain from arthritis and distraction works wonders for me. It makes the time go faster and getting your mind involved in something other than your pain can help you heal.

Good luck!

Hey you, don't let it get you down. I spent my 4th day through my 9th day crying every morning because I was sick of feeling sick. I barely ate my first real food. And well it wasn't exactly food, it was a tiny side plate of Beans and some mushed up eggs. I was so miserable a few hours later that I started to cry the other day. I was on vacation for a few days and we kept stopping at restaurants, it DROVE ME CRAZY. I couldn't order anything other than Water and one egg. Trust me your not alone. This is my 14th day and I still wake up with nausea and my tummy hurts! I am so sick of Soups. Just hang in there

Lots of Luv, Alicia

banded- 12/20/06

Dr. Huacuz

Tijuana

weight.png

Hang in there. You have to search and try alot of different foods to find what your new stomach will tolerate. I know alot of people did mash potatos and oatmeal and to this day I am still unable to eat anything of that texture. Every time I get a fill my food list changes. Things I wasn't able to eat I may now be able to and the things that were my staples may not be tolerated. Easy Mac in the little single serving containers were a life saver for me. About the depression, I am still mourning my BEST FRIEND(FOOD). Stick with it! Just give it time. Good Luck

I dont know about the others but my 3rd day home was my worst day. I was grouchy, I had some complications with the surgery. I didn't feel good. I couldn't eat to make myself feel better. I was in tears. This great 2nd chance and there I sat sobbing! It's been 2 weeks now and I am feeling much better about it all. I can eat scrambled eggs and thats really about it. I feel better just having Soups. My favorite is Pregresso chicken Noodle put thru the blender. YUMMY the noodles are thicker and it taste Chicken N Dumplings to me. Everyone needs to try it at least once. I have also gone to McDonalds twice and had their Chicken Noodle with 2 crackers smashed up in it to give it some thickness. Well I hope you get feeling better. Just pray and ask God to help you thru this. I did and I truly believe he is with me every step of the way. God Bless, Sue

I really suffered a lot with depression for the first 5 or 6 weeks. Im sure it was a combination of a lot of things that brought it on. Negative comments, missing solid food, expecting to lose 100 lbs in a day, no energy. BUT...it all let up and now I am feeling lots better. Trully the thing that helped the most (besides God) was reading. The more I educated myself on how this thing really works the more confident I felt. I guess it finally clicked. I have to go slow and wait on my body, because it doesnt respond like everyone elses. Sometimes its slower sometimes faster. Hang in there its a bumpy ride but in the end hopefully a ride worth taking!!!!!!

tazboobecky,

it is natural to feel depressed after surgery and restriction of what you can eat. we all (most of us) have always used food, practically unconciously, to soothe ourselves--you're not alone! it is an awful feeling when you can't eat what you want. how about canned, mushed up chicken, with something to make it moister--like light mayo or something? or blenderize it with some chicken Soup. i'm sure people who've been through the mushy stage here have better recipes for you (i don't cook, i'm completely unimaginative in the kitchen). oh--and my dr. said dark meat chicken--moister--is better. try a tiny bite of that if you MUST have chicken??

at least you can find some distraction and friendly help here--i've found it invaluable--and i'm not even banded yet! but monday--i will be!

great weight loss--try on something that didn't fit you last month--that should cheer you up a little--and have some Jello? chocolate pudding? something nice like that would be a treat--yes?

and, if your mood doesn't lighten up--please ask your dr. about some medication == i take effexor xr--and i love it. completely stabilizes my mood. i'm prone to depression and this has really helped my life!

best wishes,

girlin

nyc