Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thought I would lose weight faster- trying to stay positive

Also, maybe you should measure yourself maybe you are losing way more inches but the scale hasn't caught it yet. Pre-op I would lose crazy inches but the scale never moved. Everyone is different. A lot of people in stalls say upping their calories has helped. Keep us posted!

lanuzaanac- good luck! I was super nervous before mine. It went so smoothly and 3 weeks out I feel great. Just make sure to get your Proteins and your energy level will bounce back quick. First week dealt with pain (nothing to crazy). Second week was just tired. What really helped me was tasting Protein Drinks before surgery so I had plenty at home of the flavors and drinks that I liked.

Hello...almost two years out now. Just wanted to let you know that the slower you lose the better for your skin recovery/elasticity. Also better for you body, as well as not losing to much hair. You will get there. It didn't come on over night, so it's not gonna come off over night either. Good luck! :)

Hi Wannabthin, I had my sleeve surgery on 5/21, so about the same time as you. My pre surgery weigh-in was 289 (down 6 lbs from liquid diet) I lost 10 lbs my first week out and another 8 over the next few days. I stalled out at 271 and have been sitting here for over a week now. I am slowly increasing my cals ( from 250 up to 550) but am only getting 45-50 Protein a day. I am not tolerating the Protein Powder and milk anymore so most of my protein is coming from the scrambled egg and plain yogurt mixed with tuna fish. I have been extremely worried about this stalling out too. It is encouraging to see that I am not the only one and that there may still be a light at the end of the tunnel. Anyone who has experienced this before who has tips to offer on how to get over this hump will be much appreciated.

Sounds like you're dead in the middle of the 3 week stall. Many people hit this inevitable stall. It's nothing to worry about and there is nothing you can do about it except don't panic or stress...just keep doing what you're supposed to do. In my sig there is a link explaining why it happens, but I'll just cut and paste it here for everyone to read....good luck and hang in there. It will end on it's own....

Weight Loss Stall or Plateau

A weight loss stall or plateau is an extended period of time during reducing efforts where is there is no weight loss according to the scale and no loss of inches according to the tape measure. This is why it is so important to take your body measurements before surgery, so you'll have a reference as your weight loss progresses post-op. We suggest you take measurements of your chest, waist and hip, neck, upper arm, thigh and calf.

Be aware it is very common for your weight loss to "stall" shortly after surgery. Diana explains the reason for this below.

The Inevitable Stall

diana-after.jpg

By Diana C.

A "stall" a few weeks out is inevitable, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of Water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of Water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a saber tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

Breathe, and fuggedaboudit for a few days.

What You Can Do About a Stall or Plateau

woman-on-scale-unhappy.jpg

If you are experiencing a post-op weight loss stall or plateau further out there are a few possible causes. First, check that are you really in a stall. If the scale has stopped moving you may be losing inches, so check your measurements.

Too Many Carbs?

Carbohydrates can start sneaking into your foods without you being aware of how quickly they are adding up. For more information on carbs, see our section on Carbohydrates. If you are struggling with your weight loss you may want to examine your daily carb count. You can try to keep your carbs under 50g a day and see if that makes a difference in your weight loss. Do not eat carbs before bedtime as it triggers insulin and initiates fat storage. There are some great web site resources you can use to keep track of what you are eating.

Fit Day

Spark People - If you join Spark People also join the DS group.

The Daily Plate

Calorie King

For more tips on keeping a food journal see the Personal Nutrition Guide.

Eating Enough?

If you are under-eating or go more than 4-5 hours without eating, your body will shift into fasting mode, slow your metabolism and conserve your stored energy (fat). This can contribute to a weight loss stall or plateau. Make sure you are eating small meals or small Snacks throughout the day and also ensure you meet your daily Protein requirements. Try eating some Protein with every meal or snack. For more information on protein requirements see our section on Protein.

Drinking Enough?

An adequate level of water in your body aids in the effective breakdown of fat. The daily minimum recommendation is 64 Fluid oz of water a day. If you are in ketosis you will need to drink even more water to ensure the ketones are flushed out of your system. You may also need more than the minimum amount of water if you are exercising or live in a warmer or dry environment.

Exercising?

Exercise can increase your metabolism and burn fat. Strength training will build muscles and will boost fat burning. In a stall you can try increasing your volume of exercise or changing up your routine to overcome a weight loss stall or plateau. If you have been doing mainly aerobic activity, try doing a bit of strength training, and if you have been doing mainly strength training, try an aerobic work-out.

The High Fat - High Calorie Stall Buster

Many DSers swear by the fat/calorie shock as an effective weight loss stall or plateau buster. Having a day of higher fat and calorie eating followed by a returning to consistent low carb eating can sometimes "shock" your body back into weight loss mode.

Great information thanks!

Thank you for this post ... I'm down 38 lbs but already in my 2nd stall from surgery date of 4-25 and I needed this to keep my positivity up! :)

Hey honey you will get there I know its super hard to be patient. I was sleeved jan 29, I was 322 jan first then day of surgery 309 I did t lose an oz for like a month as of today I am down 90 pounds I go thru spurts and stalls just gotta up the excercise an sometimes ur cal intake im a range of 600-800 cals. Hope that helps best of luck

lanuzaanac- good luck! I was super nervous before mine. It went so smoothly and 3 weeks out I feel great. Just make sure to get your Proteins and your energy level will bounce back quick. First week dealt with pain (nothing to crazy). Second week was just tired. What really helped me was tasting Protein drinks before surgery so I had plenty at home of the flavors and drinks that I liked.

Thank u for ur help. Which Protein shake do u use. I have been reading about those shakes but which one are the best one. I read that they have to b 45g of Protein but the one i found were only 9

Hey honey you will get there I know its super hard to be patient. I was sleeved jan 29' date=' I was 322 jan first then day of surgery 309 I did t lose an oz for like a month as of today I am down 90 pounds I go thru spurts and stalls just gotta up the excercise an sometimes ur cal intake im a range of 600-800 cals. Hope that helps best of luck[/quote']

Wow

lanuzaanac- first 2 weeks were clear Protein drinks. The one I liked the best was Isopure fruit Punch. You can find it online. I would drink several bottles of this throughout the day. My doc OK'd me to have full Liquid Protein drink after one week and the one I use is Proti Max Anytime! chocolate or vanilla Drink - Protein Shake, 8 oz. Its 15 grams of protein and I have a few per day.

I think many of us feel the same way. I was sleeved on May 6. My weight loss has been slower than I expected. Hang in there your not alone.

I was sleeved the 22nd also. So far I have lost 20 lbs. 15 the first 8 days, then very slowly lost 2 lbs. I just got back into the gym and dropped 3. I say your on track. I know for me I was hoping to lose more, but again happy with every pound lost. When I had my follow-up appointment I had already lost the 15% of body fat that I was intended to lose by week 6. It'll happen for us!! Keep going and don't get discouraged!!!

I was sleeved on My 22nd as well. I've lost 15 pounds so far, and seem to have stalled. I was beginning to get a bit frustrated that I haven't lost more weight after reading some of the tremendous amounts some folks have lost, but then I realized that I'm just happy to see the scale doing down instead of up. :D

Butterbean, Ty for posting the article. It helps explain a lot and while I am still stalled out as of this morning I can relax a bit and just focus on creating new healthful habits without stressing too much that I am doing something wrong.