Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice from you Bandsters!

I am flying from Edmonton to Missisauga to have my surgery the day before my appt. Is it to ambitious to plan a trip to Niagra Falls the day after my surgery? Will I be in that much pain or that uncomfortable to make it not worth it? I have always wanted to go there and I thought since being in the area with DH and DD that we might be able to make a trip of it. I will not book anything in advance just in case but I do really want to go. Do I sound a tad crazy? From what I read, some people are in lots of pain after and some are fine, I wonder what the difference is? I would just plan to go for one night and then be back in Missisauga for my follow up appt the day before I fly out. Let me know what you guys think.:girl_hug:

Becca

Becca,

How long is the flight? My only concern would be whether I could get enough walking in after the surgery to prevent the possibility of a pulmonary embolism. It's rare, but it can happen.

Other than that, I would say go for it. You'll more than likely be on clear, calorie-free liquids, or Protein shakes anyway. So, food won't be an issue. Heck, I had my surgery as an outpatient and did a little shopping the same day I was released. That same week, I cooked the entire Thanksgiving meal (My Dad did all the lifting and bending though), and that Friday, I walked the neighborhood for an hour.

Thanks Randi, it's actually just a 2h drive from where I will be so I'll make sure to stop and take a few walks!

Becca

that would have been totally out of hte question for me!! never.

Could you go out early ,and do that first? Maybe you'll be up for it, but i'm a week out and still am not up for car rides. the gas pains in the car were too bad.

The next day I really didn't want to do anything except be left to drowse in bed with books, the cat, and liquids. I wasn't in pain except from the gas - and that was really bad - but I felt druggy and tired in a nice laid-back stoned sort of a way. I actually had a wonderful time but I certainly didn't want to go for car rides and sight seeing.

Personally, I would not do it. It will feel like you got kicked in the stomache for a few days, plus the incisions I found were hurting me. Not bad, but enough to want to just lie there. Then they don't hurt at all. Everyone is different though. I just wouldnt bank on it!!

Hope that helps.:girl_hug:

I wouldn't plan on going either. i was banded on a thurs. and my brother in law's wedding was sat. I did not feel up to going.I was on demerol for 3 -4 days.

I was fine the day after surgery. I actually took care of a 4 year old the day after. We got a ride to the mall and walked around, we also walked to the park with a neighbor and her son. I was fine. 7 weeks post-op I was riding roller coasters, and doing 4 theme parks. ~Mandy

Everyone is different. Some would be fine, some wouldn't. I agree with Jack...you may "be able" to do it but you may not "want to". LOL....that would likely have been my issue. Just pass me the demerol and let me lie down in peace....that was my motto!

But yeah, I can see why you don't want to pass up the opportunity.....the best thing would have been to go a day or two earlier and do the Falls thing before the surgery day....

Either way...good luck....you really won't know how you feel until you are feelin' it!

Now why didn't I even think of booking a few days early and doing it first?! I like to think of myself as a fairly intelligent person but sometimes I have to wonder LOL. I just got caught up with "be there a day before surgery" and thats all I had in my head. Oh well, flights are all booked and it would cost too much to change. I will just see how I feel and go from there, I won't force myself to do anything if I'm not feeling up to it but I thank you all for your comments. You guys are the best!

Becca

Becca,

I know that we have the same surgery date, but when I got my pre-op package I also have an appointment with Dr. C at 12:00 on the 13th. I was origionally going to fly from Calgary to Miss. of the 13, but would have to leave here really early, and there were no flights that early. I am flying out on the Monday, maybe we will go see some sights in TO, although I woukd like to see Niagra Falls.

Do you have an appointment with Dr. C on the Tuesday as well?

Andrew

Hi! The day after my surgery I shopped for about 6 hours without a break. I didn't feel like it at first, but didn't want to miss out. (SanDiego Factory Outlet Mall). I've had a wonderful recovery so far, and I think it might be from walking walking walking. Having said that, I am now a Vitamin pusher because I got quite a bad cold after surgery. I think my immune system was down from not getting enough nutrients and doing too much. Coughing and sneezing was not fun.

If you decide to go, enjoy the falls and take your vitamins!:bananapartyhat:

Good advice!

Gaffer, my appt with Dr.Cobourn is at 3pm on the 13th so I will just make it straight from Pearson airport. My surgery is scheduled for 9am ish on the 14th but it says to be there at 8:20am. I hope I do make it to the falls, my husband really wants to go and I'm sure my daughter will love it, but I would also settle for shopping at square one to get my walking in!

The day after surgery, I had a 6 hour drive home, I felt awful, lots of pain although I did stand in a Tim Horton's line up at one of the service station off the 401. Maybe your dh could drive by the falls so you could at least see them. Let's call it a drive by viewing.

Seriously you won't know until you are there, everyone is different. Hope you feel up to it, it's worth the trip.

Good Luck

I would at least call and see what it would entail changing your tickets. I was told with ours there would be a $50.00 per ticket cost to change it, but when I told her ok, thanks but no thanks, she waived the cost, and changed them for us. It can't hurt to look into it---and then you could assure yourself of seeing the falls while you are in the area. Are you going back to the same surgeon for fills? If so, you might be able to work it into your next visit to the area.

I personally would have been fine, I am one of the ones who went shopping the next day, and then flew home 5 hours in the air, and another 5 by car on the 3rd day---and only needed a dose of Tylenol for a headache---I found the surgery to be simple, and as close to pain free as surgery can be. I would prefer doing it again to going to the dentist!!!! BUT----everyones body reacts differently to the invasion of surgery, the effects of anesthesia, and the residual gasses....so I would do what I could to plan uneventful, restful days following surgery, then if you feel up to doing something--great!! If not, no one is disappointed.

Good Luck on your surgery--hope it and your recovery are a breeze!!!

Kat