Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why so many "my journey with so and so in Mexico" posts

Has anyone else noticed the unusual amount of posts by people from the same few drs in Mexico talking about their sleeve journeys? The posts are so frequent and awkwardly similar that it makes me wonder if the people writing them are real and if they are real if they are told to write this? They are long posts too and usually within a few days of their surgery date.

My husband agrees with Lauren. Fake, fake, fake. He said, the price alone will lure some, but they NEED all these carbon copy endorsements about every aspect from the very first phone call, to being picked up at the airport, surgery, no problems and on through being delivered back to the airport.....I even read how wonderful the restaurant is in one of the hotels. C'mon, give me a break. Has anyone EVER, I mean EVER seen any of this with one of the U.S. doctors or any doctor really, outside of Mexico? I have not!! I like my doctor, I'd use him again, I'd recommend him to friends or family, but I know he isn't the only bariatric surgeon that is good here in the good ol' US of A, or Texas or even in Dallas. Unless he wants to add my name to the payroll and gives me a script, he'll have to stick to D Magazine. The 'guilty dog' barks the loudest and boy do they come out of the woodwork!!!

To those of us who were researching surgery in Mexico, having the NAME OF THE DOCTOR/FACILITY/COORDINATING COMPANY in the posts was very valuable.. We want to know what the experience will be like with a particular doctor and also the coordinating company and hospital.... Heck, I have my doctor information in my signature. I assure you they didn't pay me for it.

Doing a google search for bariatric surgeons, anywhere, country, state or city.....including Mexico, will bring up a slew of information. Including "reviews". It's as simple as that. Again I say, why are THESE doctors the only ones who have patients that give blow by blow details???!!!! How clean, how simple, how safe, no problems, great staff, everything you always wanted to know, but were afraid or to lazy or dumb to find out for yourselves. I look at these "endorsements" and just like when I see a Enquirer headline, I assume it is all exaggerated and/or out and out false!

I posted a really long post about my Mexico journey. It was real. And I am real. I did it so others who are considering Mexico would have the benefit of my experience. It is long because I couldn't post anything at all until I came back to the states because the Internet data rates are expensive internationally. So I posted my whole journey at one time instead of in pieces as those who are in the states were able to do.

I've NEVER posted a detailed post that started with my first phone call to Trevor, the seminar, surgery and onto my 1 week, 2 week, 3, 6 and 12 month follow ups. I don't think there is a soul who gives a rat's rear end to hear all that stuff. I have seen a few of the posts, like you say you posted, and I get through the first few lines and move on. I wouldn't take any post like that, seriously. It's a script, approved by someone on staff who is in charge of marketing! We all know it's made up, and I'm not saying there aren't good doctors and good/safe outcomes, but I don't for one minute believe one of these long winded commercials qualifies.

I am going to a surgeon that has never been mentioned on here, so I will probably write about it good or bad (hopefully good for my sake). I just want people to know that going to Mexico is an option -- especially with all the insurance changes that are coming up, coverage for weight loss surgery will be the first thing that employers will dump to cut costs. For some reason, some people think that I am having my surgery in a dusty hut, on a wooden table, with tequila as anesthesia, and disinfectant, oh, and I had to bring my own sharp knife.

I have never gotten the impression that anybody thinks anything like what you've listed and besides that, if people thought my surgeon, right here in Dallas used Jack Daniels as anesthesia in a less than perfect OR. Big deal, I don't care. That is HIS problem, not mine. It is HIS job to educate the public, surely not my responsibility.

I am for real, please read "My Mexico Story" I simply gave back to the boards by writing a long through story about my experience because the VST was incredibly helpful and HELPED before I had my sleeve done on May 17th 2013!!

So glad I learned how to use the "unsubscribe" function here on VST.. Happily unsubscribing from this thread now before this entire thing turns too ugly for my delicate sensibilities.

So glad I learned how to use the "unsubscribe" function here on VST.. Happily unsubscribing from this thread now before this entire thing turns too ugly for my delicate sensibilities.

I really wasnt trying to offend anyone with my posts...I know you are the real deal just not everyone is.

I really wasnt trying to offend anyone with my posts...I know you are the real deal just not everyone is.

Janice I don't think she was talking about you :)

And I know your question was not a confrontational one. This subject is a touchy one around here. Even me with my big mouth walk on eggshell around it!

But I do have a lot to say on it...

Going to Mexico for surgery? omg major scary step. So I'm sure that once someone has gone and lived! the new people thinking of going to mexico LOVE to hear every little detail.

But you are right some of these post are dirty trolls trying to muster up business (not the girls on this thread so un-wad your panties) :P

When I see someone that is obviously a coordinator I report them to Alex. And he takes care of it.

I do personally get sick of seeing some of these posts especially when they double triple post them in various sub forums...

I think it would be nice to have a title for Mexico surgeons and experiences so at least we can keep it tidy. I will ask Alex about it.

My only other issue is sometimes I get personally offended when Mexico patients in praising there experience slam the USA hospitals and doctors.

I love my country and I loved my doctor and my hospital. My husband works in the ER of the hospital that my surgeon operates out of. I can tell you it's a top notch hospital that provides great care for it patients

Janice I don't think she was talking about you :)

And I know your question was not a confrontational one. This subject is a touchy one around here. Even me with my big mouth walk on eggshell around it!

But I do have a lot to say on it...

Going to Mexico for surgery? omg major scary step. So I'm sure that once someone has gone and lived! the new people thinking of going to mexico LOVE to hear every little detail.

But you are right some of these post are dirty trolls trying to muster up business (not the girls on this thread so un-wad your panties) :P

When I see someone that is obviously a coordinator I report them to Alex. And he takes care of it.

I do personally get sick of seeing some of these posts especially when they double triple post them in various sub forums...

I think it would be nice to have a title for Mexico surgeons and experiences so at least we can keep it tidy. I will ask Alex about it.

My only other issue is sometimes I get personally offended when Mexico patients in praising there experience slam the USA hospitals and doctors.

I love my country and I loved my doctor and my hospital. My husband works in the ER of the hospital that my surgeon operates out of. I can tell you it's a top notch hospital that provides great care for it patients

Thanks for the reassurance. I totally agree with everything you wrote.

Thanks for the reassurance. I totally agree with everything you wrote.

No problem :)

My husband is in the ER right now treating patients. He's away from us at least 12 hours out of the days he's in the ER. It's a long day and our kids don't get to see dad very much on those days.. He treats everybody with respect and dignity. No matter if they are insured uninsured or an illegal alien from Mexico. Why? Because that's the way it works in the good old USA.

And I'm very proud to be American

.....star spangled banner playing in the background..... :P

I agree, Laura. For many years I was a medic for a huge city and there is certainly nothing substandard in regards to our medical treatments.. We are way above any possible treatment worldwide. However, In my research AND AREA of the country I did not find this correct with WLS. Plus, since because I've had so many wls here and in MX it's a personal choice for me that I prefer my specific surgeon in MX. Not saying I prefer any surgery in MX, but for wls it's my first choice.

I really do wish we had a corner in the forum that everyone could rate and describe a specific dr so that we could all have access to more personal knowledge of drs in all areas of the US too. That would bet a good thing

I'm going to Mexico next month. Having all the posts about the Mexico experience have really helped. I know five women from my town (pop. 4,000) who went and are thrilled with the experience there.

I don't have any issue with Dr's surgeons, nurses or any medical workers in the US. My issue is with my insurance company. My husband has always reciived good care with his surgeries and Dr care in the US. I might not have gone to Mexico if I could have had my out of pocket in the US be even close to what I paid there. However if I had not read peoples experiiences going to Mexico I would not have gone.

One of the posters above hasn't seen people who had surgery in the US post details of their surgeries. I find that odd because I have read detailed accounts of surgeries taken place all over the US and almost all of the you tube videos I have seen have been people that had surgery in the US. Isn't Luke from Mass on this forum? He is one that went into great detail along with pictures & video of his surgery in Boston.