Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ontario Clinics

Yes Mandi, you are always right on the mark. The Optifast shakes were about 160.00, you have to pay for the shipping and handling if you're having it sent to you. (2 week supply).

Thanks JLB and Argon for the info again.. I know, lots of questions, but this message board is great!! I just found it yesterday and can't seem to get off the computer reading.. It's a little scary, but I think alot better than having everything redirected, and you can take it away and be back to normal if you want... but reading some of the horror stories about it by the USA people does make me want to ask lots of questions. It's great to see that Canada is able to take advantage of this board and I can see that there are lots of great people on here with lots of help!! so I think I will be glued to this for a long time. I haven't told my family about it yet, just a little hint to my DH. I know he will freak at the cost, but I paid out enough for the Dr. B diet that I think this is better for the long term since I have almost put back on the 100lbs I lost with him.

So, can you eat everything again after a while or are you restricted to eating certain foods?

Hey Maggie....I see Mandi responded to all your questions so I won't!!!

I'll just add that every doc has their own version of the pre-op diet...and some ppl don't have one at all (ie. lower weight/bmi etc) while others have one for 1 week, 2, 3 or longer. For instance, my pre-op diet consisted of all the yogurt/cottage cheese, GREEN veggies and chicken (nothing on the chicken) for the first of the 2 weeks and the 2nd week was just yogurt and cottage cheese. I detest cottage cheese so the second week for me was yougurt, yougurt and more yougurt.

As for your last question....once you are banded etc....and after your post-op period, you will eventually be able to eat anything you want....just smaller amounts and itty bites and lots of chewing. Some ppl will have probs with certain foods but the intent is to have the type of restriction where you don't really have probs with anything.

Oh...and re. the vomit thing...I HATE vomiting to and would/will do ANYTHING to avoid it. I made sure they knew that I was prone to coming out of anest. vomiting....so I got some really good anti-vomit drugs during the surgery and when I came out, everything was fine. (note: you get an anti-nauseau drug anyways during the surgery but I requested a super duper strong version). Make sure you have liquid gravol (I could only find children's version) for your post-op; that as a big concern of mine (vomiting)....so I took the liquid gravol for several days (just in case) and never had a problem. As for future issue of vomiting (ie. flu or something) I just hope it will not happen!!

Yoda, that was great.. I eat way to fast, hardly chew my food at all, had a father who hated slow eaters and made us eat fast, that's what I blame it on anyhow.. So I will have to learn to chew better, I will start tomorrow on that. Had steak tonight and thought I wouldn't be having that ever again, but I'm glad to hear that I will, just small amount. I think I will ask for the super duper Gravol shot!! That's great advice..

Do you know how long it takes, and what tests need to be done before they book you for the surgery after your consult?

And do you tell people/friends about having this surgery?

I have been thinking that I won't tell anyone except maybe my DH since he will need to drive me the day of surgery. Is this normal to think this way?

Argon: Your info is always right on the mark - at least that's the way I see it! :biggrin1: But you said something that has put me back to paranioa land. :faint: "Didn't knick my liver" Huh? Is this another risk - what does it mean to the unfortunate who has their liver knicked? See - your wisdom has me forever coming up with more questions

The point of the pre-op diet (according to most) is that the loss also shrinks your liver, makes it less fatty, and easier to move around. They kind of have to lift it up and out of the way to get to your stomach, so the easier that is for them to get around, the better. I guess, if you had an immense liver that was difficult to work around, they might accidently knick it with some tools, while fiddling around in there. Then you'd bleed profusely. NO, just kidding, I don't know if you'd bleed profusely or what! Maybe it happens all the time... maybe I just want to scare you all into doing what's best for you, and sticking to your pre-op diets!

(and besides, not everyone has to go on pre-op diets, even if they are VERY large. But if your Dr requires one, do it!) ;)

Do you know how long it takes, and what tests need to be done before they book you for the surgery after your consult?

And do you tell people/friends about having this surgery?

I have been thinking that I won't tell anyone except maybe my DH since he will need to drive me the day of surgery. Is this normal to think this way?

For me, I had to have some blood taken, and that was it. I don't know what tests they ran on it though. They wanted the results 2 weeks before surgery.

My parents knew, as did my boyfriend, and 1 friend (only cause I had to) My mom has since blabbed, and told WAY more people than I'm comfortable with. If I had my way, no one would know. But I do think, now that people do, and I don't even know WHO knows, once I make it to goal, and all is good, I'll be ok telling people, if they ask.

So, yeah, totally normal... lots of people don't tell either. ;)

Yes, it's totally normal not to want to prodcast what you are doing because some aren't supportive at all - the unknown scares then and others are very opinionated. I've opted for selective telling and it's been wonderful so far. This site and others are your best form of support(besides family and close friends)

Good luck and enjoy your journey.

Argon, you are too funny! Even though us newbies are persistent with our endless questions (Ok somtimes paraniod questions) you always answer honestly but with a fresh sense of humor - keeps things in perspective!

;):) :girl_hug:

Thanks,

Janice

Maggiec, TLBC told me that I would need to have blood tests, an EKG and an xray - all done through my own doctor in my city of residence.

As for telling people - funny you should mention this. I was just thinking this afternoon about this very thing. I have not told anyone except a good friend of mine who lives in another province and doesn't have any communication with my local friends or any family members. I figured she was a good person to ask for feedback. I have various reasons for not telling everyone in my life as I'm sure most others do. I don't want to cause unnecessary worry and also some of my family are not very supportive, so I'm choosing to keep it to myself and not be (annoyed) by others who may be uninformed.

I was also thinking of starting a new thread to see what people think about Celebs or other famous people that may have had this surgery done but kept it secret. So many of them are slim and have to be for their profession. Hmmmm..... :guess

Janice

Maggie....TLBC required me to have blood tests, ECG (or is it EKG? LOL) and a chest X-ray. All of this takes no time at all.

There are a lot of threads (here on the Canuck section and also in the "general" & "support" sections) dealing with the "to tell or not to tell issue".....I recommend searching them out and you will get a wealth of responses/posts on it.

I, too, chose VERY selectively who to tell. I told Mr Yoda (obviously) and my folks (who live in a land far far away....also known at BC). A friend of mine who also had it done (a month prior to me) also knows as well as two or three other friends who knew because they knew about hers and it just sort of "came up". I would probably still like it better if even all these people didn't know but the choice was basically taken out of my hands. Otherwise, I still keep it very private.....everyone has there own reasons for not saying much (if that is what they decide to do). I know others who don't care and tell anyone and everyone and they are ok with it.....to each his/her own (only you can know about your life and about your "circle" and the support (overt or covert) that you will get so only you can make the decision that is right for you).

Just know that this is a common issue and there are many sides to it!

When you do tell, do they ask you how much it cost you? and do you tell them? I find ppl just want to find out how much you are putting out for things. Maggie

Good Morn'n Maggie!!!

I know how you feel, there's lots to think about, I'll just give you my version, take what you need.

I too was scared and nervous. I was sooooo releived to find this website, people are great!!! The pre-op is difficult, but not impossible and you have all us to come and vent with, that helps!! Lap-Band is the most exciting thing you'll ever do for yourself. It's going to be a very exciting time for you. I'm still flying now and it's been like 7-8 months. Tell who you think you want to share with. I personally only told my hubbie, kids and parents. Then when I was comfortable I told other people. I have just recently (prior to x-mas) told all my friends. Obviously, they've known somethings up, but I just confirmed it. They have been hugely supportive, but I feel, that without the significant weight loss first, maybe they would have not of been, dunno. Since telling anyone who wants to know, I have had 4 people call me for information. That makes me feel real good, that maybe I can help someone else too.

This is a very exciting time!!! Be happy and inspired, but know it's perfectly normal to be nervous!! Come talk to us, we love to help!

Hi there I', im in Ont Canada and had my band over 1 year now ( Loveing it ) Dr. Yau you rule lol

Now im ready for a Tummy Tuck. Does anyone that had one done know a Dr. for me? That i can trust? In Toronto

Any info is wecome

Thank you

Doris.:tongue:

Hi there, I was banded last month by Dr. Joffe. The cost was $15,000, but he was amazing. I go see him next week for my first fill....can't wait.