Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new here--just banded

Hi all

My name is Beth, I had my lap-band done on 12/20/06..just 3 days ago!. I had my surgery done in Monterrey Mexico, by Dr. Javier De La Garza. I had a wonderful experience, as far as any surgery can be "wonderful". My only problem has been shoulder pain from the gas used to inflate the abd. The incisions bearly hurt at all. I am looking forward to this pain going away so I can get on with my life. I look forward to sharing my experience with anyone who is interested and learning from all of you that post.

290/276/160---I've lost 14 lbs since preop diet

(highest 305)

Beth

My 3rd day post op was the worst day of my life. I had crippling gas pains that I almost had to go back to the hospital. I took an entire box of the Gas-X strips that melt in your mouth and it helped. My doctor said it was okay to take double of what it says on the box. I share your pain. The next day was alot better.

hi all i was banded on 12/20 also .I have pain in my arm.I think i am doing to much getting ready for Christmas.Lucky my daughter is doing all the cooking. Iam having a hard time remembering to eat .lol. This is my first time.

HI Sirena63, I was banded on nov 10 06 by DeLaGarza in Monterrey too. Great doc and a pleasure to look at too. Where do you live? I live in central Valley in Calif. Did u meet Veronica? Did u deal with Ann Marie, she's a trip. Congrats on your new life journey.......

Hello,

I just got banded too. I too was banded on 12/20 by Dr. huacuz in Tijuana. I've already lost 9 lbs, probably Water weight. My shoulder pain is killing me to the point that I actually sat and cried. Warm showers seem to make it feel better, I also applied ben gay and pop some chewable tylenols. barely works for me. Are you having the same problems?

Hi Kjojo,

I live in south Texas, 20 miles from the boarder...just a few hrs from monterrey. Went there by bus, Veronica met us at the hospital and got us all checked in. Yes, I dealt with Ann Marie, she seems to be having a rough time with her pregnancy and is in California right now. I haven't heard from her lately, so I'm not sure how she is doing. How have you done after surgery? Losing? No problems? Hungry? I have very little appetite (what a blessing) only complaint is the gas/shoulder pain...and not being able to burp when I need to!..............Beth

Hi Kaboom,

Sorry to hear about the shoulder pain, I know what you are feeling. I found that lying on the side that hurts, lying almost flat can give me some comfort. Gas X thin strips helped a little. Drinking hot tea and hot broth seem to be comforting. I get up and move around and the pain comes back, I just lie down and wait for it to subside. The nutrionist that spoke with me said to lie completely flat and let the air bubbles move down your body (that trapped air is pushing on the diaphragm,we cannot burp it out or pass it..it has to be absorbed slowly) and hopefully cause less pain. Gas-x has helped me because I cannot seem to burp and when that gas pressure builds up with the rest of the pressure, it makes it painful to move and breathe. Let's just say that today has been a much better day for me and I have been pain free for longer periods and am feeling much better. But, not good enough to go shopping or to church!.........Beth

Hi Beth and welcome, I'm a 12/20 bandser also!...right there with you on the gas pain. Haven't had to take the vicoden all day, but have used tons of gasx strips and chewables...good luck...

Merry Christmas! Keep the comment coming I am starting the process of insurance land so... I love to hear what all you newbies feel! and I hope to soon join you.

Another 12/20 bandster here...

I found that Rolaids Heartburn Plus Gas Relief helped me far more than the Gas-X. Also, laying on my port side with one leg over a pillow seemed to work pretty good for comfort. My back would start to hurt laying flat too much. Occasionally, I got this horrible pressure in my chest. I just took some really slow, deep breaths and then it would move or come out.

I am going back to work tomorrow and I feel great. 22 pounds gone since 12/13. I know this will slow down but I am enjoying the scale victory for now.

Hi Kjojo,

I live in south Texas, 20 miles from the boarder...just a few hrs from monterrey. Went there by bus, Veronica met us at the hospital and got us all checked in. Yes, I dealt with Ann Marie, she seems to be having a rough time with her pregnancy and is in California right now. I haven't heard from her lately, so I'm not sure how she is doing. How have you done after surgery? Losing? No problems? Hungry? I have very little appetite (what a blessing) only complaint is the gas/shoulder pain...and not being able to burp when I need to!..............Beth

Beth, The gas pains do go away after awhile. I don't have much restriction on my band yet. I didn't have any pre op diet like others had. So far, i'm only down 11 lbs. I think i probably gained some of that back today tho. I go back on Jan 4 for my 2nd fill, hope to feel the resrtiction then. I had 2 incidents that were very painfull. Eating too much, be careful when you get your appetite back. Worse cramps ever.

Hey Beth, thanks for the words!

How long is this horrible feeling suppose to last? I cried all day yesterday because I couldnt' even touch my arm. I tried a fleet supository. I blogged somewhere else that the gates of heaven were in stereo sound when a big blast of air came out. I even slept all night with no pain! lol...

Sadly my pain returned today but not as intense. I've been chewing on gas x chewables. Works a little I guess. I've also had to swallow just so I can burp on purpose, they dont come out unless I force them once in awhile. IT sucks! I'm so weak from this first weeks malnutrition, I can only walk for short periods. How do people go back to work so soon? Thank god I don't go back for another week.