Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to stop smoking

wootsie73

To stop smoking is the hardest thing I've ever tried doing. The only way my husband would take off the condom for us to get pregnant was if I quit smoking, well of course after the babies were born, I started again. Stupidest thing I have ever done, twice! I quit using Nicoderm Patches both times.

My dad has has two heart attacks, has tried any and all things to quit, he cannot.

I had a stroke 1/1/2005 at the age of 36 and my Dr. told me you need to quit smoking or I guarantee you that within 5 years it will happen again and the outcome might not be so good this time. I have a husband and two kids, you'd think this would be motivation enough, thinking about them growing up without their mommy....It's not. It is the most controlling thing, it plays with your mind and has you in a choke hold. I have never been addicted to drugs, but that is exactly what nicotine is, a drug.

I quit for around three weeks after my stroke and have been smoking ever since. I was on Cymbalta for mild depression, and decided to use the patch to try quitting again....wrong! These two combonitations of drugs in my system made me psycho! I had to call my mom for an intervention one night, I could not get a handle on my emotions. So, stopped that and Dr. put me on Wellbutrin XL, I haven't quit while using that. So trying Chantix this time, with the possibility of a surgery date in Feb/March.

I really want to succeed this time. Dissappointing my husband and kids again would break my heart and theirs.

Oh, I'm now 20 hours without that nasty nicotine!!!! ha ha I'm winning!

I'm so happy to hear you are making it even though you posted a few weeks ago. I haven't checked this thread in a while. After I posted back in December, I started smoking again, but I've been smoke free for 3 days now! I'm doing very well with it this time, but I'm not happy today. My mom has been smoking out in the garage all winter, but my dad was griping about the gas bill, so she started smoking in the house today. It makes it twice as hard to stay off of them and it pisses me off since she knows what a hard time I'm having with it. Anyway, I'm still smoke free for now.

Joan

congrats to all my fellow x-smokers! i'm new to the not smoking sections, but so far so good! i just woke up and decided that getting banded was more important to me than smoking (my doc requires 3 mos. of nicotine free pre surgery)...a week after i quit i went to the doc-he suggested wellbutrin which i think has helped! you're supposed to start taking it before you quit, but i didn't want to wait for my doctor appointment, so i just quit cold turkey till i made it to see him! i am doing great-it's just a little weird not lighting up with my classmates....but i love it! kudos to the odd man out!!!

~courtney

Good Job to all the non-smokers! Wootsie, I'm sorry that others are smoking around you. It's gotta be twice as hard when those circumstances exist. I'm not sure I could have done that. I quit my bowling team this season, just because I knew I needed to quit smoking. Bowling, drinking beer and smoking all go together! I just couldn't put myself in that situation.

You CAN do this!

hey guys, good luck to all of you. Wed. is my quit date. I started Chantix last Wed. I have been smoking since I was 17 and that was a long time ago. It is so dumb of me to get all this weight off and still damage my bod

with cigs. I need all the support I can get and I will give the same. Kathy I am proud of you.:o

Ok everyone,

I'm still smoke free and I'm on day 5 now. You do know that after a week it's all mental don't you? That's what they say, but you sure couldn't prove it by me. I'm still using the Wellbutrin and Patches together, and I think that's helping a lot. I'm very DETERMINED this time. I have to do this for myself, not for anyone else. Good luck to everyone on remaining smoke free!

Joan