Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I got my approval from insurance and I was so happy and then BAM THEY RUIN MY LIFE smh I have sleep apnea...now I distinctly recall the nurse saying I didn't have it but now the doc called and said I do and have to go bk and do it wirh the cpap machine.....I cried yes cried im so disappointed. ....the first available date they have is june 16th smh my surgery was supoose to be june 17th but now I have to wait.....:( my nusre is waiting for my surgeon to come in to see if she will override it.....but more than likely she wont so im upset......really wanted to get my new life started......sad that I may have to wait looks like im not in the june club anymore :(

You are still in the June club, no matter what. I am sorry about the potential delay, but if you need the CPAP, I hope you like it as much as I do. I LOVE it and I was ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY sure I did not have sleep Apnea (and oh was I wrong). The CPAP will help you recover from the anesthetic, so...

You are still in the June club' date=' no matter what. I am sorry about the potential delay, but if you need the CPAP, I hope you like it as much as I do. I LOVE it and I was ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY sure I did not have sleep Apnea (and oh was I wrong). The CPAP will help you recover from the anesthetic, so...[/quote']

What do u mean recover from the anesthetic?? What is the cpap actually for??? What does it even mean to have sleeo apnea??? Sorry for a bunch of questions im so frustrated tho:(

What do u mean recover from the anesthetic?? What is the cpap actually for??? What does it even mean to have sleeo apnea??? Sorry for a bunch of questions im so frustrated tho:(

sleep apnea basically means you stop breathing during the night and effects your sleep. If you have sleep apnea you will feel alot better after you start sleeping with a cap when you wake up.

sleep apnea basically means you stop breathing during the night and effects your sleep. If you have sleep apnea you will feel alot better after you start sleeping with a cap when you wake up.

So will I need this forever??? And how does it affect me under anesthesia

All I have 2 say is, EVEYTHING happens for a reason. I know its easier said than done but dont get caught up on what u think is negative..think about the fact that u have an approval and nobdy can take that from u. Be blessed, Im praying 4 u

Take a deep breath it's okay !!! It's on Gods timing not ours !!! Your approved that's what matters ... So it's not in June that's okay it's gonna happen either way just not as fast as you wanted :)

Okay, while you are "under" the antethesilogist keeps you breathing - no worries there. People with sleep apnea who don't use a CPAP have DIED in the first day or two post op because the recovery from sedation supresses your breathing. with sleep apnea, you actually STOP breathing for periods of time and your body wakes you up. When you are drowzy woozy from sedation, there is a risk that you won't wake up.

View this is as minimizing your risk and potentially saving your life.

I had "severe" sleep apnea prior to surgery. 150# gone and i am apnea free - so just do what the good doc says and realize this is just one more reason to lose weight.

So will I need this forever??? And how does it affect me under anesthesia

No, you will not necessarily have it forever. There are many reason for sleep apnea. One of the most frequent causes (though not always) is obesity, and specifically excess fat in the area of the airway and surrounding tissues that collapse under the negative pressure in your throat during inhalation.

During sleep you have less control over the musculature in your body (and specifically your airway) and all your muscles are more relaxed. Breathing in can cause the tissues to "collapse" a bit further than they normally do when you're awake, and that blocks your breathing.

The CPAP machines (CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) provide an "air splint" to keep a certain amount of pressure in your airway at all times, which helps keep it from collapsing and blocking airflow.

In MANY cases, as patients lose weight, their Sleep Apnea is resolved.

Thanks giys still frustrated and prolly acting like a big baby but I was so excited and now im j u st like wth but if its gonna help me then I wobt be upset I just dont understand Ive had 3 surgeries and was under for all and I didnt have to go thru none of this and its just frustrating blah oh well thanks guys!!

Btw does every surgeon require a sleep study???

Okay, while you are "under" the antethesilogist keeps you breathing - no worries there. People with sleep apnea who don't use a CPAP have DIED in the first day or two post op because the recovery from sedation supresses your breathing. with sleep apnea, you actually STOP breathing for periods of time and your body wakes you up. When you are drowzy woozy from sedation, there is a risk that you won't wake up.

View this is as minimizing your risk and potentially saving your life.

I had "severe" sleep apnea prior to surgery. 150# gone and i am apnea free - so just do what the good doc says and realize this is just one more reason to lose weight.

Great explanation CowgirlJane!

In addition, having inconsistent airflow places a significant strain on the heart (our most important muscle) as it must work extra hard to feed the body oxygenated blood (which is now decreased due to poor breathing). And the heart itself isn't getting the oxygen it needs to do the extra work. A double whammy.

Many post-op complications in patients with compromised breathing are secondary cardiac impact in nature (more so than from the anesthetic directly).

The CPAP machine helps your breathing; saves your heart muscle and is usually a life-saving device if used consistently and appropriately.

It does however take some getting used to. The mask can be uncomfortable in the beginning. The feeling of constant airflow and pressure in your head/neck is new and requires acclimatization and the sound of the machine at night will take some getting used to (for both yourself and your partner).

That being said, it is much easier to get used to than the disruption of snoring (which many sleep apnea patients have).

My husband sleeps with a cpap machine and has for years, it helps him not snore and get all the oxygen that his brain needs at night. When you stop breathing and snore at night it depletes your brain from oxygen, he doesn't like sleeping with it but he sleeps much better and doesn't have any more headaches when he wakes up in the mornings he feels much better sleeping with it.

Ok my doctor just called me and said im still getting surgery JUNE 17TH she said I have very mild sleep apnea and I reallu dont need the cpap machine. ..... she also tokd me to not have a cow and she would aee me Thursday for my pre screening I start my liquid diet on june 7th I was just frustrated but now im scared to death WAAAAAY TO MANY EMOTIONS THIS WEEK...OMGOODNESS T J ANKS GUYS FOR RESPONDING I GUESS I STill need to get this sleeo apnea togwther hopwfully losing weight hel o s

Ok my doctor just called me and said im still getting surgery JUNE 17TH she said I have very mild sleep apnea and I reallu dont need the cpap machine. ..... she also tokd me to not have a cow and she would aee me Thursday for my pre screening I start my liquid diet on june 7th I was just frustrated but now im scared to death WAAAAAY TO MANY EMOTIONS THIS WEEK...OMGOODNESS T J ANKS GUYS FOR RESPONDING I GUESS I STill need to get this sleeo apnea togwther hopwfully losing weight helps