Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect at first consult visit.

Hi Everyone! I'm new and not sure where to begin. I have my fist consultation visit with my surgeon this Wednesday and I'm not sure what to expect. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me? What happens at your first visit? I went to the seminar and started the process of paperwork for my surgeon, which I will bring to the first consult. This is just the beginning for me, but I'm excited and nervous at the same time!

I'am in the same boat like you! Good luck for us! >>35.6 bmi

Thank you! Same to you! Hope it all goes well for you.

42 BMI ????

My first consult with my surgeon was pretty much an information-gathering session. My weight and BMI were calculated, and one of the nurses talked briefly with me about my health history, my family's health background (questions about obesity, diabetes running in the family,etc.), and asked what efforts I've made in the past to manage my weight.

If I remember correctly, I had a questionnaire from the original bariatric surgery info session that had to be filled out before the consult appointment, and once I was in the exam room, part of the discussion was just about going over my questionnaire responses. I was asked which surgery I wanted (RNY, sleeve, or lap band) and why I wanted the sleeve over the other two options. (It wasn't asked as a challenge of my choice, I think the nurse practitioner just wanted to find out what my thinking was and why I had a specific preference.) Then I was asked if I had any questions, and the nurse practitioner answered them. She also gave me a printout that charted all the different appointments I would have between then and then next consultation.

My surgeon only stopped in briefly to say hello, review my chart and let me know that he thought I'd be a good candidate for the sleeve. It was all over pretty quickly, and when I checked-out before leaving, I was given a 3-ring binder of VSG information, with tabs for me to keep other printed info from my nutritionist, psych eval, etc.; that binder has been a great help in keeping me organized!

It should be a very positive experience for you--bring a list of any questions or concerns you have, and maybe a notebook to write things down (in case your surgeon's office doesn't do the whole binder thing). You could always design your own binder, too! You must be excited to get started--good luck!

My first consult with my surgeon was pretty much an information-gathering session. My weight and BMI were calculated' date=' and one of the nurses talked briefly with me about my health history, my family's health background (questions about obesity, diabetes running in the family,etc.), and asked what efforts I've made in the past to manage my weight.

If I remember correctly, I had a questionnaire from the original bariatric surgery info session that had to be filled out before the consult appointment, and once I was in the exam room, part of the discussion was just about going over my questionnaire responses. I was asked which surgery I wanted (RNY, sleeve, or lap band) and why I wanted the sleeve over the other two options. (It wasn't asked as a challenge of my choice, I think the nurse practitioner just wanted to find out what my thinking was and why I had a specific preference.) Then I was asked if I had any questions, and the nurse practitioner answered them. She also gave me a printout that charted all the different appointments I would have between then and then next consultation.

My surgeon only stopped in briefly to say hello, review my chart and let me know that he thought I'd be a good candidate for the sleeve. It was all over pretty quickly, and when I checked-out before leaving, I was given a 3-ring binder of VSG information, with tabs for me to keep other printed info from my nutritionist, psych eval, etc.; that binder has been a great help in keeping me organized!

It should be a very positive experience for you--bring a list of any questions or concerns you have, and maybe a notebook to write things down (in case your surgeon's office doesn't do the whole binder thing). You could always design your own binder, too! You must be excited to get started--good luck![/quote']

Wow, thank you SO much for your response! I really appreciate how informative and helpful that was. Now I have a much better sense of what to expect during my visit. I love the binder idea! What a great way to stay organized and on top of everything. If my surgeon's office doesn't supply one for me, I will certainly make one. Thanks so much for your help! I'm excited to get started!

My first consult with my surgeon was pretty much an information-gathering session. My weight and BMI were calculated' date=' and one of the nurses talked briefly with me about my health history, my family's health background (questions about obesity, diabetes running in the family,etc.), and asked what efforts I've made in the past to manage my weight.

It should be a very positive experience for you--bring a list of any questions or concerns you have, and maybe a notebook to write things down (in case your surgeon's office doesn't do the whole binder thing). You could always design your own binder, too! You must be excited to get started--good luck![/quote']

My experience was like Vixynne :) ... With the binder which I take every where to keep organized :) good luck

My first consult was similar to the other poster. I had filled out a good sized packet on health history prior to going in. They gave me some more forms to fill out, and gave me a pee-chee type folder with copies. I am also using this to store everything. I also added a blank page where I write down my questions for the next appointment.

The nurse took my vitals (height, weight, blood pressure, temp, and pulse). When the surgeon came in, he had already reviewed everything I had filled out, and asked me a few questions about my history. Then he went over the types of surgery they do (band, sleeve, and bypass). He asked which one I wanted, and I was able to ask as many questions as I wanted and never felt rushed by him.

I also saw the nutritionist for just a couple of minutes - she gave me some info on post op diet to read, and we talked about the 3 month program my insurance requires.

Then I met with someone else and she scheduled all my appointments over the next several months, including the surgery date and first post-op appt! (I was not expecting this!)

I was super nervous for that first appt....to the point that I thought about canceling it. But I have to say, they were the nicest, most compassionate and helpful medical staff I think I have ever encountered. I never felt any judgement that I guess I have come to expect from doctors. I walked out of there feeling very good and at-ease. I hope your experience is as good!