Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To be sleeved in a month and scared as hell!

Hi Post Op-ers!

I just wanted to hear about your experiences within the first 6 weeks. I'm to be sleeved 6/26 and I'm really scared. I'm trying to fit this surgery in while I'm between jobs, I will be starting a new job on 7/15. Is this doing too much? I've heard of ppl going back to work within 2 -4 weeks. How is your energy level around then?

It all depends on the kind of job you have. I went back after 3 weeks, but I mainly have a desk job. I probably could have done it in 2, but my energy was pretty low. Everyone is different though. I have a friend who had her surgery on a Tuesday and was back teaching the following Monday. Just listen to your body and your surgeon!

Thx so much responding! Yeah listening to my body is my new thing!! So excited for all the newness

YOU'LL BE FINE. Promise.

I was sleeved 4/18. I have a pretty intense job- a resident in medicine so I have long hours and often a 24 hour call. My weight management doctor suggest 4 weeks in case there were any issues. I could have gone back by 2 weeks. I still had low energy but it was managable. I think you should be fine- but what kind of work do you do? I was more nervous and anxious about a month before but once everything started lining in to place I became less nervous the week before. I told myself listen you're doing it and just keep the negative thoughts out. I also stopped coming to the forum the week before. I would see great posts about people's progress which was uplifting and encouraging but every time I saw a post about someone having a hard time- that weighed on me a lot more heavily. The first 5 days was rough for me because I had pain every time I ate or drank something. It wasnt horrible but I was getting concerned like gosh is it always going to be like this? And then literally on day 6 all of that pain was gone. I still had incision and abdominal wall soreness but that was completely gone by 2.5 weeks. Just over 4 weeks out now without any pain. I was on puréed since day 3 and regular since week 3. I've been advancing somewhat slowly but so far so good. I have not vomited at all and have tolerated everything I've had including steak, chicken, veggie burger, salad, soft fruits, eggs. I've lost 24 lbs as of week 4 and more since I think but haven't weighed again. I started at 259 :) Everyone's experience is different so take what I say with a grain of salt! I have been following many who were sleeved the same month as I have and overall everyone is doing quite well. Only one person that I know of with a major complication - bleeding spleen that had to be removed during procedure but as I understand they are doing well now. Some people have had problems with "things getting stuck", not tolerating certain foods (ie: eggs) or not being able to eat more than a couple oz at a time- which I don't think is abnormal. If I eat 2-3 oz I am usually very comfortable but there have been times I pushed it to 4 oz and while I was very full I haven't gotten that omg I am going to die feeling. I've been lucky I think but there are so many others that are happy with their progress. Don't get me wrong it's not a walk in the park.. It's the learning curve that has been the most difficult for me- weighing food, knowing what hungry, satisfied, and over full feel like. I'm still getting used to not eating and drinking at the same time. I have not had the feeling of omg what did I do? Not have I regretted it yet...

So here's hoping that stays the same :) and I wish you the best of luck. Honestly I would take the week before your surgery and stay off the boards. Unless for some reason you feel a lot better about it when you do read... If youve done your research and not making a hasty decision, then you should know whether is the right choice for you! Just take deep breaths every time you get nervous and remind yourself why you think this is the best thing for you. I also wrote a list of all the things I looked forward to after surgery and the closer I got to goal.. And would look at that when I felt nervous :) thought it really helped. Okay I am ending my novel now. The very best luck to you!