Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous Wreck about flying!

Need some advice on flying....I have never flown and I am scared at the idea of flying but I'm also scared of being to big for the plane seat? Can anyone my size give me some advice on this?? Thanks!!

What size are you? This can help others respond that are a similar size. You may want to contact the airline. I am a pretty outgoing person and would say "I'm a complete wreck about flying, its my first time! I am headed to *blank* and nervous about the seating, can you provide me a little bit more information? Such as size restrictions?"

Plus- airlines offer seltbelt extenders. And LAST resort if you're THAT worried, buy a seat in first class and live in luxury!

I pop a Xanax and have a glass of wine to calm my flying nerves.

Brokemyhalo

I am 5ft 4in and 260 pounds. I wish I could pop Xanax or wine but unfortunatley I will be on Clear Liquids the sunday I fly out for surgery on monday! thanks! :)

I understand your feelings! The first time I ever flew in my life was when I went to Mexicali to have my sleeve surgery. I was terrified of just the whole idea of flying, and then add to that, the fear of not being able to fit in the seat, I was truly a complete basket case. However, I found that flying was actually an awesome experience and fell in love with it the moment we took off. As for not fitting in the seat, I was 5' 4" and weighed 283 pounds and although snug, I fit just fine. I did have to have a seatbelt extender, but the flight attendant was very discreet about it and I wasn't embarrassed in any way. You should be fine.

After surgery I actually went up to the desk and explained I had just had surgery and wanted to know if i could have a seat with the next seat to me empty - because I was afraid of getting hurt... They were able to do it for both of my flights. You never know unless you ask. On my way there it was a tight fit on one flight but bearable. Good luckk

My trip to Mx was my first flight ever. I've always said I'd never fly, EVER! Well saving my life was enough motivation to make it happen. It was FUN!!! I absolutely love flying and want to do it again soon.

Hopefully you're the same!

Go to the desk at your gate when you get there and ask them for a "medical pass". This will allow you to preboard before any one else. We were able to get the first row which had more leg room than any other seats. They will give it to you with no questions asked!! We flew southwest.

I was 330lbs when I flew to Mexico to have my surgery. The seats where very snug and I had to have a seatbelt extender but I did fit. I was terrified of flying (it actually made me cry!)but when I choose to have surgery I had to come to terms with it as I had 3 flights each way. I am not sure if it was doing 6 flights in 4 days or what but for some reason my fear of flying has gone. So much so that I have booked a holiday and leave for Ireland in 9 days. Best of all, this time I will fit the seat with no extension required! Best of luck with your surgery and don't worry about the flying, it's so worth it in the end!

Southwest has options for their more substantial passengers. Also, I too took the option of medical pre boarding, postop. It also allowed me to ask for a seatbelt extender discreetly.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/index-pol.html

You can also let them know you're a first time flyer so they can assist you, and comfort you accordingly.

Also, contact your surgeon to advise you if it's okay to have your PCP prescribe you something for flying anxiety.

I would not suggest mixing it with alcohol tho...

Brokemyhalo

I am 5ft 4in and 260 pounds. I wish I could pop Xanax or wine but unfortunatley I will be on Clear liquids the sunday I fly out for surgery on monday! thanks! :)

You will be fine, last year I was 315 on a southwest flight and I fit fine without a seat belt extender. Just relax, I was scared to, but once I was on there I was ok.