Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Where are all the lower bmi bandsters that aI started out with???

I know I haven't been posting lately, but where did everyone go???

Hi baby got back,

I just started logging in again last night. Funny you should ask where everyone went....because I disappeared for a few months now. I took a job in Japan and have been busy packing up my house and family and moving here. Unfortunately, the last thing I've focused on is my band....which is why I'm back here online now that we are settled in here overseas.

I haven't gained weight over the last several months, just haven't lost what I probably should have by now. I still think that in the past, without the band, my weight would have shot up because of the stress of the job change and move.....I usually ate to deal with that stress. I did (or tried to) with the band as well.....but the band did stop me.

It has been difficult to learn how to eat different foods with the band and I have not been doing a great job. Rice, which was something I never ate at home because I had such problems with it and my band, is everywhere here. Noodles as well. There are a lot of things that give my band problems over here and I haven't quite figured out what works the best for me at this point. I had gotten into such a routine at home and now everything is very different. Also, there is so much social eating (and drinking) here. I never really drank that much at home....I still do not, but do have the occasional drink here which I never really had at home. Socially, going out to eat is really hard because I never know if I'm going to have to excuse myself to go and PB because something I tried did not work.

I need to get back on track. We are really pretty settled here now and I have time to focus once again. I'm going to try to do liquids for a couple of days just to see how I feel after that -- whether or not I feel restriction once I go back to solid food. I have not felt much restriction lately. Perhaps I need a fill, but since my weight is not a lot different than during the last fill I had, I'm not so sure and am wondering if I've just stretched my pouch or forgotten how it feels to actually feel hungry. I know a lot of my eating is head hunger. Speaking of fills, I have not figured out where to do that here in Japan and it may not be possible until we vacation in the USA. So, I'm going to have to learn how to manage my appetite if it is restriction that I'm missing. Considering I still have times where I PB, I think I'm still restricted.

Good to be back.

Kathy, congratulations on your move to Japan--I'm SO envious! Our family just returned to the States a few years ago after spending four years in Tokyo. We LOVED it! Where in Japan are you? I didn't have a band then but I can see how difficult that might be. We don't drink and got alone fine socially but I can see that the food will take some getting used to. Good luck with that. let me know where you are--we were in Shibuya-ku. I can give you some ideas if you are near there at all. Enjoy the adventure! How long will you be there? Good luck adjusting--the adjustment coming home was much more difficult for us than when we got there. Enjoy!

Hi Mominlambert,

We are also in Shibuya-ku in Tokyo as well! We are in the Shoto area and will be here 2-3 years. It was an opportunity we could not pass up. I think it will be a great experience.

I'm looking forward to learning what Japanese food works well with this band!

Wow! That's awesome. How many children and what ages do you have with you? We took our five youngest and they all learned Japanese and went to ASIJ. Great experience. National Azabu has lots of American food and delivers to your door--we did that about once a month for the kids sanity. I also like Nissin market (they may deliver to Shoto), too. Good luck! Enjoy your time--it passes so quickly. Send me a pm if I can help you with anything. I learned to play Mah Jong there at the American Club and absolutely loved it. Great memories!

I am still here, along with the original lower BMI people. Yesterday I gained back the two pounds that it took me a month to lose from eating 4 chocolate chip Cookies. What happened to it takes 3,500 calories to gain one pound. I doubt if each one of those cookies had more than 200 calories each.

I hope to be good the rest of the weekend and be able to lose those 2 again. I have so much trouble with all the temptation on the weekends!

Hi baby got back,

I just started logging in again last night. Funny you should ask where everyone went....because I disappeared for a few months now. I took a job in Japan and have been busy packing up my house and family and moving here. Unfortunately, the last thing I've focused on is my band....which is why I'm back here online now that we are settled in here overseas.

I haven't gained weight over the last several months, just haven't lost what I probably should have by now. I still think that in the past, without the band, my weight would have shot up because of the stress of the job change and move.....I usually ate to deal with that stress. I did (or tried to) with the band as well.....but the band did stop me.

It has been difficult to learn how to eat different foods with the band and I have not been doing a great job. Rice, which was something I never ate at home because I had such problems with it and my band, is everywhere here. Noodles as well. There are a lot of things that give my band problems over here and I haven't quite figured out what works the best for me at this point. I had gotten into such a routine at home and now everything is very different. Also, there is so much social eating (and drinking) here. I never really drank that much at home....I still do not, but do have the occasional drink here which I never really had at home. Socially, going out to eat is really hard because I never know if I'm going to have to excuse myself to go and PB because something I tried did not work.

I need to get back on track. We are really pretty settled here now and I have time to focus once again. I'm going to try to do liquids for a couple of days just to see how I feel after that -- whether or not I feel restriction once I go back to solid food. I have not felt much restriction lately. Perhaps I need a fill, but since my weight is not a lot different than during the last fill I had, I'm not so sure and am wondering if I've just stretched my pouch or forgotten how it feels to actually feel hungry. I know a lot of my eating is head hunger. Speaking of fills, I have not figured out where to do that here in Japan and it may not be possible until we vacation in the USA. So, I'm going to have to learn how to manage my appetite if it is restriction that I'm missing. Considering I still have times where I PB, I think I'm still restricted.

Good to be back.

Wow!!! What a move!!

I am in the same boat with you in that I stopped losing for a few months, even yo yo'd a few pounds. I can eat pretty much anything. I get stuck once in a while, but only pb'd once.

I am going for my 3rd fill next Saturday. I have 2.4 cc's in my 4 cc band and have never had a lot of restriction.

I have lost 25 pounds and have about 20 to go.

I have heard a lot about how the social drinking and eating is in Japan. We had Japanese exchange students live with us from Japan for about 4 years so we got to learn a lot of the Japanese culture.

It must be a culture shock too. Hopefully you can find a doctor there to do your fills.

They do eat a lot of fish too and veggies. They have some good Udon Soups just maybe with out the noodles.

I am back for the support too.

Keep in touch!!!:clap2:

Audree

I am still here, along with the original lower BMI people. Yesterday I gained back the two pounds that it took me a month to lose from eating 4 chocolate chip Cookies. What happened to it takes 3,500 calories to gain one pound. I doubt if each one of those cookies had more than 200 calories each.

I hope to be good the rest of the weekend and be able to lose those 2 again. I have so much trouble with all the temptation on the weekends!

Hey Denise!!!

You are probably just fluctuating. I know for me I definitely need another fill. I have never truely had good restriction. I guess the sweet spot would feel more like I did right after surgery. I just need to get my head ready for that, eating smaller portions, chewing. I can eat anything right now, as much as I want.

I also have been swimming. I want to step up the exercise to lose the rest.

I am going to be checking in more often. I was working too which didn't give me much free time, but I am not working anymore.

Denise,

Don't stress about those cookies....you've probably got some Water weight or something. I've been the same weight for a week even though I'm walking like crazy and eating a lot smaller portions....nothing. I really do think you feel it first before you see it show up on the scale. Then, my body will not lose a half pound or a pound....I'll just drop 2 pounds when I finally do. So, hang in there. Eventually your body will just realize it doesn't need the weight.

Babygotback, I found that Udon noodles in Soup go down....unfortunately, they defeated much of the purpose of the band because I can eat quite a bit of them and it is all carbs. Two or three hours I"m hungry again. They taste fantastic though. I have not been brave enough to eat them without soup. My biggest problem here is that I'm not a big fish eater. I just don't like things that are fishy and I grew up far far away from the ocean......so we just did not eat fresh fish. I need to experiment with some fresh fish here that will probably be fine for me. Everything is so much fresher here and I'm sure there are fish I can find that I will enjoy. Also, when I can cook at home it is a lot easier (as for all of us, I'm sure) to control my diet. Back home, I never went to dinner with the folks I worked with -- and lunch was a very predictable cafeteria. Now, because I'm new and because of the culture I have a lot of lunch and dinner invitations where other folks pick the restaurants. I'm doing my best to just chew chew chew chew. Funny because I'm sitting next to these teeny women and I get all the "you don't like the food? " comments because I'm sure they can't imagine why I'd be eating less than them. On several occasions the waiters asked me if everything was okay -- I just hate standing out so much. So, even when I can eat the food, I just feel so odd.

The upside of living here is that I walk to/from a train station every day and get some exercise just by living. I never had to walk anywhere but my driveway back home. I probably walk 30-40 minutes a day just going to/from work and home. So, that is a nice boost in activity that I hope starts showing up on the scale once I actually watch what I'm eating.

Anyway, good to be back.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum -- sort of. I was considering a band w/ the help of insurance a few months ago. I had a bmi of 35 with no co-morbidities. I had blood work done (I am very healthy) and eventually dropped the idea since I knew insurance wouldn't cover it. I have been trying to lose over the last few months with very little success. My bmi is now 33.7. Anyway, I had a talk with my DH and he is okay with me going self-pay. He doesn't totally get why I can't eat normallly. He has never struggled with weight and is very self-disciplined. At the same time, he is unbelievably supportive and I don't think has ever said no to anything I've really wanted.

Okay, I have talked with the nurse and I have a consult on Wed. She indicated I could probably be banded as soon as the July 23 or 24th! We have tickets to a play on the evening of the 23rd. I am assuming I won't be up to going and should schedule the surgery for the 24th instead? Also, we have a cruise planned for August 9th. Will I be miserable on the cruise? I thought about putting off the band until all of these things are over, but we always have something going on. At the end of September we are going to Europe to Celebrate our 10yr anniversary.

I am secretly hoping they will be able to squeeze me in a week earlier -- like the 16th or 17th. I doubt it can happen so quickly, but I am not above asking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum -- sort of. I was considering a band w/ the help of insurance a few months ago. I had a bmi of 35 with no co-morbidities. I had blood work done (I am very healthy) and eventually dropped the idea since I knew insurance wouldn't cover it. I have been trying to lose over the last few months with very little success. My bmi is now 33.7. Anyway, I had a talk with my DH and he is okay with me going self-pay. He doesn't totally get why I can't eat normallly. He has never struggled with weight and is very self-disciplined. At the same time, he is unbelievably supportive and I don't think has ever said no to anything I've really wanted.

Okay, I have talked with the nurse and I have a consult on Wed. She indicated I could probably be banded as soon as the July 23 or 24th! We have tickets to a play on the evening of the 23rd. I am assuming I won't be up to going and should schedule the surgery for the 24th instead? Also, we have a cruise planned for August 9th. Will I be miserable on the cruise? I thought about putting off the band until all of these things are over, but we always have something going on. At the end of September we are going to Europe to Celebrate our 10yr anniversary.

I am secretly hoping they will be able to squeeze me in a week earlier -- like the 16th or 17th. I doubt it can happen so quickly, but I am not above asking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats!!!!

I have found there is always something in our lives coming up that revolves around food. I remember in the beginning, I felt frustrated, at least when I still had the restriction after surgery, of what was the point of going out if I couldn't eat. I realized how much of my life revolved around being social and eating. I had to re direct and shift my thinking.

I had to think about new things, the fun things I got to do when I went out, besides food.

Like dancing, shopping, window shopping, etc.

Just take what ever appointment they give you and just adjust to it.

I had to also realize that food would ALWAYS be there, and it wouldn't be my last opportunity to eat that food.

But I wanted to lose weight.

The pain of being overweight had to over ride the pain of not eating at the moment. I began to use little tricks I have picked up over the years. Like making sure I ate BEFORE I went out to a function. Like a little piece of hard protien. Also making sure I am hydrated because sometimes our bodies mistake thirst for hunger. I always use very small plates and have stopped trying to rebel against the bandster rules and do eat a hard Protein first and a veggie if I can (which right now I can since I have very little restriction).

I only drink Crystal Light or Water. I have also started brewing black tea that is fruit flavored. It helps with the hunger and gives energy. You can also drink green tea.

I am now ready to begin really exercising since I have not really stuck to a regular exercise program. But I want to now. I have been swimming everyday which I love and building up my strength. Starting little by little, I now feel ready to begin going for walks and heading back to the gym.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing!!!:clap2:

I am glad to see you back, Audree.

Tulip, I never had any problems bouncing back from the surgery. I don't think you'll be miserable on the cruise, but you might be on a liquid diet. That would be hard because I have heard that on cruises, there is food everywhere. You don't want to cheat on that liquid diet because that's when your stomach needs to heal around the band. That prevents a slip later on down the road. People think the liquid phase if for weight loss

but it's not. It's for healing, and it's very important.

Kathy, I am wondering what brought you to Japan, if you don't mind sharing?

It would be really hard to be in a strange country with all the new eating habits that comes with having the band. It sounds like Momlambert has some

experience from being there that would be valuable.

I hope you keep checking in here!

I actually am okay with being around the food. I am more concerned about how I will feel after the surgery. How long of a recovery time am I going to need before I can go out and do things. If I have surgery on Monday a.m. is it plausible to go to a play on Monday p.m.? Is a little over 2 weeks okay to go on a cruise or will it be too hard with my dietarty restrictions and pain I may still have. I just don't know what to expect post surgery. I have read a lot and people have reported lots of gas pain and such, but can they go out and do stuff or do most still feel too bad and for how long?

Thanks for all the great advice. Have you been happy with your progress on the band so far? Do you still feel like you are dieting or does that go away at some point?

I actually am okay with being around the food. I am more concerned about how I will feel after the surgery. How long of a recovery time am I going to need before I can go out and do things. If I have surgery on Monday a.m. is it plausible to go to a play on Monday p.m.? Is a little over 2 weeks okay to go on a cruise or will it be too hard with my dietarty restrictions and pain I may still have. I just don't know what to expect post surgery. I have read a lot and people have reported lots of gas pain and such, but can they go out and do stuff or do most still feel too bad and for how long?

Thanks for all the great advice. Have you been happy with your progress on the band so far? Do you still feel like you are dieting or does that go away at some point?

Hello Tulips, from Tulip without the s... Here is the gloom and doom, but the end result is definitely worth it!

I could not have gone out the same everning as surgery. The anesthesia took at least a day to work through my system. I think it took about 3 days before I could get in and out of bed without some help. My abdomen was very swollen (very noticeable), and I could not bend over easily. Personal hygiene in the bathroom was difficult to say the least for a couple of days.

My diet was very restricted for the first couple weeks. I think the doctor are very conservative about giving your stomach time to heal. Adding soft foods takes some time, and some of the foods you tolerate are found by trial and error.

The band is the BEST thing, and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I had to decide that getting the band and losing weight was my highest priority.

Great to hear from you Audrey. You look great! You've been gone too long!

Terry