Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what's the difference between something that fits and something that's tight?

Laura-ven... that actually made me laugh... I think I will adopt this in my house too, then I will be the smexiest woman in Wales!

Laura-ven... that actually made me laugh... I think I will adopt this in my house too' date=' then I will be the smexiest woman in Wales![/quote']

Hehe.. Hey they say 99% percent of looking good means feeling good. And if I have to do it in the dark? So be it! :P

Red marks. If something is too tight it will leave impressions on your skin. Because of my weight distribution I have been tempted to buy those pregnancy jeans with the regular sized legs and stretchy waistband, with my chubby lower belly and extra skin, my legs get lost in pants that fit my waist.

I have an RnY friend who swears by maternity jeans (from Target I think? They are not with the stretchy panel, they are some other kind) -- she says they look soooo much better cos they fit properly in the legs and bum after accounting for the tummy region. They're small maternity jeans, but the proportions are right. Might be worth a try anyhow.

Now, warning.. this might sound stupid!

What is the difference between a piece of clothing that fits and a piece of clothing that is too tight?

Not stupid at all, I totally get it.

So there are a number of things i pay attention to in this area. First, you're a petite lady, aren't you? Like 5'4 or less? I can't recall for sure. Anyhow, one of the key factors for fit of tops, trousers and dresses is not just the shape, but also where the waist hits you. If it hits too high or too low, it can look awkward and less-flattering. So find the sweet spot of where things look best and make sure to buy clothes that accentuate that sweet spot, or alter them to do so.

Also -- shorter shirts and tops if you are shorter, will make you look taller and leaner. No wearing long tops to cover your bum.

Jeans and trousers -- if they are showing even the smallest hint of camel toe -- just say NO. They're either too small or the wrong rise. So that's my first order of business regarding fit. Then I like them to not accentuate the muffin top. And then the legs and bum mustn't be too big. So I buy things I like and then take them to the tailor -- then they end up fitting just right. Worth a try!

If you're straight through the midsection without a tiny waist, find shapes that create an hourglass effect, and avoid thin belts or things that tie round the waist. A quick awesome tip I love for this one -- if you have a coat with a sash belt, tie it in back to pull the coat in at the waist, but without having it cut you in half visually in front. It works a friggin treat I tell ya.

Okay, I'm in too much of a rush to proof this -- but those are some thoughts off the top of my head. Mostly I think you should try things on in several sizes and FEEL how they feel on you. Are they snug but not too tight? That's a good sign... Are they draping over your bumpy bits and accentuating your good curves? Then say YES. It's all about trying things out till you feel good...

Can't wait to see new pics of you, woman!!!! :wub:

The only clothes I feel happy in are my mid-calf length workout leggings from Maratek, a loose tee and my college hoodie, everything else makes me feel porcine.

Discomfort. Not mental "I'm worried about showing my body" discomfort but actual discomfort. Red marks, pinching, having to readjust your clothes constantly because they're riding up or down - those are the signs of poorly fitted clothing.

You need an honest friend with good fashion sense to shop with you, or yes, a trip to an upscale shop for a professional's assistance.

It took me a long time to overcome that feeling of almost vulnerability every time I ventured out in anything that wasn't bulky, saggy or baggy. I still sometimes see lumps, bumps and unattractive bulges where other people simply do not. We are hypercritical and insecure in our new bodies for a while so it's actually not surprising that we have trouble dressing ourselves or being confident about what we see in the mirror.

I'm very petite and rise or hems are a HUGE issue. Even being in a small and having something fit everywhere else if the rise is off it will look completely wrong, or if the hem hits in the wrong place I'll go from hourglass shape to looking like a block. These are things many of us didn't pay attention to prior to losing weight. I just wanted to hide my fat; I wasn't concerned about being attractive or fashionable and I certainly wasn't revealing anything other than a bit of cleavage!

One thing: absolutely DO NOT wear pants that pinch the midsection or are the wrong rise. Over time your body will get used to that and start to shape up that way. I had the "two belly" syndrome - I wore pants that pinched me right around my waist and it caused a smaller waist with a permanent muffin top above and an apron below. Wear things that fit properly and your body will thank you and you will look much better.

You just had plastics and admitted you have much swelling - and you will for a while yet! Don't worry about that muffin top you see just yet. Be prepared to buy a slightly larger size to accommodate the swelling and to size down or alter your pants later.

I'm sure you look lovely, friend. This little mental hiccup is ongoing for many of us, but you're just now accepting that you're a success and starting to dress like it. It takes practice and there are times I still have to ask a random stranger for an honest opinion in a dressing room - if I ask a woman if she'd wear the same thing and demand an honest answer, I'll usually get one. I see flaws everywhere, and more often, other women (and men, surely) just see a small woman who dresses nicely.

Now, if you asked about age appropriateness I'd need help, too. I like to think I dress suitably for my age, but the other moms on the playground are all in yoga pants and I feel like I'm trying too hard to recapture my twenties even when all I'm doing is showing my shape (modestly covered), so there you go - another mental hurdle to overcome. :)

I want to see pictures once your swelling goes down and you're rocking some adorable jeans you never thought you'd be able to wear!

~Cheri

Thanks ladies... you are right, it is all about the shape of the clothes and I am learning that now. I have to admit... it is nice to have a choice now, although confusing at times...lol. I was in a clothes shop today and as I was looking around, I realised that I didn't really 'like' anything enough to want to buy it! That is defo a first as normally I would of grabbed something if it was in my size!

Yea, defo another learning curve and getting used to another new part of me! But I will get there.

Once I feel better, I will post some new pics...

I am also looking forward to posting a 3 year post op review, I didn't do one last year because I didn't make goal... now that is a distant memory and the numbers on the scale don't frustrate me as much.

I will keep trying though... Now the apron has gone, I really want to get into good shape all over...

This roller coaster will never end, just as well I like the adrenaline rush!

Hugs from across the pond! :)

I was in a clothes shop today and as I was looking around' date=' I realised that I didn't really 'like' anything enough to want to buy it! That is defo a first as normally I would of grabbed something if it was in my size!

:)[/quote']

Wow I can definitely relate to this! Before it was about finding something that would fit :(

I went shopping a couple of weeks ago and actually said no to some clothes instead them saying no to me!

If your an afford it, I would recommend booking a stylist to work with you and assist you with your new wardrobe.

What a great problem to have, well done to you!

I think just like when you lost weight, it took time to "adjust" the way you see yourself, the same is true for post-plastics. I think it's going to take time but eventually you will know what works and what doesn't. Life without extra skin....aaah! So HAPPY for you!

If you have or can borrow a teenage you will have the best advice on not only what looks good but what is cool. You will have to treasure them that it is OK to be honest

I love all the feed back here on cloths. I know that i have been going shopping and do not care for most of the cloths that I see they look cheap and unflattering. I will look for a stylist to work with me also. I know in my jeans I am not curvy but so have a waist.thanks for sharing all the positive info here. :)