Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swallowing pills and Anti-Depressants after sleeved?

Hey All..

So i have a concern regarding getting sleeved. I take EffexcorXR 225 mg ..Its a capsule with beads in it and apparently you arent supposed to open it up and take it. You are supposed to take it whole. So how am i going to be able to take it the evening of my surgery date? I cant miss a dose because the withdrawl from it is insane. I will get very sick if I miss a dose..so what do you do? I also take 2 sleeping pills but those can be crushed..so I am not as concerned about those.

Have you asked your doctor about this? I am having surgery Monday, and I went over all of this when I had my pre-op this week. I am not sure where you are in the process, but maybe if you don't have a surgery date yet, the topic hasn't come up at an appointment. I am concerned about this as well, but my medical team doesn't appear to think there will be problems...and I figure a lot of us preparing for surgery are on meds--including anti-depressants.

Hey All..

So i have a concern regarding getting sleeved. I take EffexcorXR 225 mg ..Its a capsule with beads in it and apparently you arent supposed to open it up and take it. You are supposed to take it whole. So how am i going to be able to take it the evening of my surgery date? I cant miss a dose because the withdrawl from it is insane. I will get very sick if I miss a dose..so what do you do? I also take 2 sleeping pills but those can be crushed..so I am not as concerned about those.

Ask your doctor about it. I took 1 pill at a time waiting 15 minutes at a time but to be honest, I don't know when I was able to start it.

Hey All..

I take effexor also. I skipped 3 days post op. No side effects. When I restarted I just took the whole pill which was ok by my surgeon. I would have kept taking it in the hospital but they didnt carry it.

I've also wondered about this. I heard or read that I wouldn't be able to take any extended release medicine for a while after surgery, but it seems that is not the case with my surgeon. A friend of mine was sleeved on April 11 and she was told to take 1 medicine at a time. I take 3 nightly medications and one morning medication. Didn't really want to have to change anything with medicines. Not taking nsaids is going to be hard enough.

I take Paxil and I took them in pill form all the way until the night before surgery. I didn't take them in hospital but started them when I got home. As long as the pill is less than half an inch you should be fine.

I was told as long as the pill is smaller than an m&m I would be fine. But you should definitely talk to your surgeon and the dr that prescribes your pills!!

DO NOT STOP YOUR MEDS without your drs knowledge. This could cause serious side effects. Because it doesn't effect some doesn't meant won't for others.

Talk to your prescribing dr about getting tablets, maybe? I take Effexor tablets for Migraines and took my meds every day without any trouble.