Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Up calories to loose weight?

I went in for my 6 week checkup. My dr was disappointed I had only lost 20 pounds. I told him I was eating around 500-800 calories a day. He said eat more! Up to 1200 cal a day. That seems so counter intuitive doesn't it. Because for years I ate 1200 and exercised and lost nothing. So how is doing the same going to cause weight loss now? Please tell me your story and any science you understand about how it will work please?? Thank you so much!

LipstickLady is right. When your body goes into starvation mode, it slows down your metabolism (the mechanism that burns calories in our bodies) in order to conserve more energy and "survive." When you consume more calories that is appropriate to your weight and expenditure of energy, your body begins to burn the appropriate amount of calories vs. conserving them. So in order to lose weight, your doctor wants you to get your body out of that starvation mode.

When I have hits stalls, pretty much the only thing that breaks them is to up my calories. I know, it sounds like witchcraft but it really does work. Youll see. I usually add more calories by incorporating some good fats like nuts or a half an avocado or something like that.

All of your organs operate on Protein. If you don't get enough, you won't lose. As perpetual dieters we were incorrectly taught that "less" is "more". And although that is true with all the crap food we eat, it is not the case with healthy nutrition. If you don't get enough your body will go into starvation mode. Your metabolism will slow in an effort to "save" itself. So eat. Plenty of protein and good carbs, fruits, veggies and stay away from the simple carbs, bread, Pasta, grains, starches . Most of all Fat and Sugar! When I would hit a stall I would do that and in a couple of days, I would start to lose again!

I was completely against the whole eating 1800 calories a day for the longest time (Susan will remember :) ), but now have started to embrace it after increasing calories from 900 over several months. It feels good to be able to eat a normal amount of good quality nutritious food and have your body respond in a positive way. It just feels better. With all the exercise most of us get after weight loss phase is complete, these calories are necessary to keep a good level of physical and mental response on a daily basis. I just started eating fruit again, and, my god, what have I been missing for the last 10 months. It tastes so much better as a post op then it did as a pre op. I also put some Peanut Butter on a banana or apple to give me those good carb / fat / Protein ratios necessarily for mr. body to be in a happy place when really pushing myself during a workout or just working at my desk. I choose wisely when eating to get the most nutrition for the buck. Sometimes I slip up, but generally I do not find it very hard to eat simple unprocessed foods.

I think the trick is that since our tummies are so small we are forced to eat so many small meals. It keeps our metabolism constantly working. Whereas before we could eat 1200 calories in 3 meals easily. It takes me all day to get to 900 calories but as soon as I upped my calories my stall broke and I've lost a total of 3.5 pounds in 2 days time.

I think the trick is that since our tummies are so small we are forced to eat so many small meals. It keeps our metabolism constantly working. Whereas before we could eat 1200 calories in 3 meals easily. It takes me all day to get to 900 calories but as soon as I upped my calories my stall broke and I've lost a total of 3.5 pounds in 2 days time.

You got that right! Eating all day from wake to sleep. Lol. Meals are generally 150 calories or less so the BMR really likes these small bursts of energy every 2-3 hours.