Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too fat for c25k?

I really want to start this. Like really really, but I'm still 60 lbs overweight and afraid ill hurt myself. What do you think? Anyone start really overweight?

It would be hard to say for sure since everyone is at a different fitness level. I would check with your Dr. before starting. i am about 40 lb over and I am on Week 5. I haven't had a lot of problems except for a nagging heel spur. I typically don't like to run at this weight (been here before) but I am really close to the point where running isn't so tough on my joints that I can do it. But I love to run, so I am going at it albeit slowly. If you do start make sure you have good running shoes that fit well. A foot or leg injury is really tough on running and a lot of those injuries can be prevented with the proper shoes.

It would be hard to say for sure since everyone is at a different fitness level. I would check with your Dr. before starting. i am about 40 lb over and I am on Week 5. I haven't had a lot of problems except for a nagging heel spur. I typically don't like to run at this weight (been here before) but I am really close to the point where running isn't so tough on my joints that I can do it. But I love to run' date=' so I am going at it albeit slowly. If you do start make sure you have good running shoes that fit well. A foot or leg injury is really tough on running and a lot of those injuries can be prevented with the proper shoes.[/quote']

Well, I don't have money to buy expensive shoes (although I've been looking or fun and found a bright blue pair of brooks I'd love) but I have a pair of nikes that are.... I guess the right fit?? Lol. I have a pair of vibrams too, but heard about people getting injured barefoot running.

Perhaps I'll lose a few more lbs and save for shoes. Or a heartrate monitor darn it, I really want one of those too.

Edit to say: I have been working out or about 4 weeks and feel my body getting stronger and my endurance better. I want to run so bad. "/ it's my goal.

Good shoes is essential to prevent injury! But I don't think you're too overweight for the program. Haven't you seen the biggest loser?!? Lol just don't over do it.

From my own experience, 60-70 lb overweight is about the limit if you want to run without injury. Of course, it is individual and really depends on your form and technique. This time around, I started running at 225 lb which would have placed me 45 lb overweight 5 months ago. I have tried running at 255 in the past and it puts too much strain on my ankles and knees. 225 lbs was OK and I was able to run 5 k with it. At goal, it is so much easier to run with no injury if your form is good. I am dealing with some minor bursitis this week, but that is not weight related. Wearing a properly fitted running shoe will protect you from injury also.

Does one get fitted for running shoes?

Or a heartrate monitor darn it, I really want one of those too.

I can't say enough good things about heartrate monitors. I have the Polar Wearlink Bluetooth and an app on my smartphone called "DigiFit". DigitFit talks to MyFitnessPal so my workouts get posted there without much effort.

I'm pre surgery and I did this last summer at 80 lbs over weight. It was tough and I only got to about week 5 before I hit a wall and couldn't go any farther. It did bother my knees a little but the rest days took care of that usually. Don't run on concrete...Treadmill is a little easier on the body or asphalt/dirt tracks. Finding the right shoes is key too.

Does one get fitted for running shoes?

Yes, a running store has personnel that will find the right shoe for you given gait, pronation, weight, etc. I have used mine for about 5 months and they cost about $100. I will probably be replacing them over the summer months.

I am doing it on the treadmill. If you do a search there are several programs revised just for the treadmill.

I got my running shoes at DSW on the clearance rack for $25. They had the exact same shoe in a more fashionable color for $80 or a slightly less fashionable color for $35. Being the cheap-o I am, I went for the orange $25 pair and love them!

I was 300 pounds when I started running. As for being fitted with good shoes, I think it's highly overrated. A $12/hr shoe store employee watches you run for 3 minutes and then prescribes shoes for you based on what the shoe companies tell him to tell you. Shoes with more cushioning and arch support have been proven to cause injuries and all the so called "motion control" and "stability" shoes for over pronators and under pronators don't prevent injury in any way whatsoever.

The truth of it is, if your running form is good, it doesn't matter what shoes you're wearing. And if your form is bad, it REALLY doesn't matter what shoes you're wearing .

As you can tell, I've got strong opinions about it all.

I was 300 pounds when I started running. As for being fitted with good shoes' date=' I think it's highly overrated. A 12/hr shoe store employee watches you run for 3 minutes and then prescribes shoes for you based on what the shoe companies tell him to tell you. Shoes with more cushioning and arch support have been proven to cause injuries and all the so called "motion control" and "stability" shoes for over pronators and under pronators don't prevent injury in any way whatsoever.

The truth of it is, if your running form is good, it doesn't matter what shoes you're wearing. And if your form is bad, it REALLY doesn't matter what shoes you're wearing .

As you can tell, I've got strong opinions about it all.[/quote']

Hey, no deviating from the party line. :) seriously, I think being fitted is good for the first running shoe. Once you know what works, you can probably safely buy the shoes without being fitted.

Hey' date=' no deviating from the party line. :) seriously, I think being fitted is good for the first running shoe. Once you know what works, you can probably safely buy the shoes without being fitted.[/quote']

Sorry bro....I fell off the bandwagon. :)

hmm don't think I can sign on to this one BTB. I've ran in crap shoes before and had a hell of time with shin splints and hip problems. Once I got in a good pair of shoes, the pain pretty much went away. The issue is most people's form sucks, and if you are overweight and haven't run much, your form really sucks. Getting a shoe with a good foundation, adequate (not over) cushioning can go a long way in keeping injuries from happening. It may not keep the from happening completely, but one leg or foot injury can stop somebody from running completely, especially if they are new at it. At the running store where I get my shoes, they video their customer's while they run on a treadmill and analyze both their feet and their gait to get a good idea what works right. Then they let you try the shoes on and go run in them. If you don't like them or they aren't the right fit, you bring them back and they keep working on it until you are dialed in. I think that if you are new to running and you have a significant weight problem, then getting fitted for a decent pair of shoes goes a long way in making sure you don't hurt yourself.