Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

protein shakes make me gag. HELP!

I am 4 days post op and I cant stomach the Protein Shakes anymore. I`ve tried several different flavors and brands and spent over 200.00 bucks trying to find something I can tolerate but havent no luck. I manage thru the 2 weeks Liquid Protein diet prior to surgery but I can not stomach it anymore. The smell of the Protein Powder makes me gag!! I know how important it is to get my Protein in but I feel like its hopeless amd need HELP please!!!

So I'm going to say something you're probably not suppose to say: since I felt the SAME EXACT WAY post op, I focused more on getting my 64+ oz of Water a day. I ditched the Protein up until the purée stage (for me this was the third week post op) where I added chicken or fish and puréed that. Since then I've been eating a lot of chicken and salmon. I found that salmon sashimi has A LOT of protein and it goes down really smoothly. I got my blood work done last week and everything is normal. I guess my best advice is just to see what works best for you. I think it also depends on how long you're on the liquid stage, etc.

Thanks Aries, I cant wait to get to the pureed stage. I would do anything to have a bite of grilled chicken or fish right now. Lol. Hope the next couple of wks fly by. And it helps to know that I am not the only one with this issue. Thanks =>

I am 4 days post op and I cant stomach the Protein shakes anymore. I`ve tried several different flavors and brands and spent over 200.00 bucks trying to find something I can tolerate but havent no luck. I manage thru the 2 weeks Liquid Protein diet prior to surgery but I can not stomach it anymore. The smell of the Protein Powder makes me gag!! I know how important it is to get my Protein in but I feel like its hopeless amd need HELP please!!!

I experienced the same thing. I have managed to be able to get sugar free carnation instant Breakfast shakes down. Its Not as much protein but it helps me. I like vanilla so I found a vendor on Amazon that sold vanilla only boxes.

What about adding unflavored Protein to Soups, etc? Something is better than nothing.

I am 4 days post op and I cant stomach the Protein shakes anymore. I`ve tried several different flavors and brands and spent over 200.00 bucks trying to find something I can tolerate but havent no luck. I manage thru the 2 weeks liquid Protein diet prior to surgery but I can not stomach it anymore. The smell of the protein powder makes me gag!! I know how important it is to get my protein in but I feel like its hopeless amd need HELP please!!!

Don't use powders if you already don't like Protein Shakes the powder is worse...I hated them all but the least offensive to me was EAS Carb Advantage in French Vanilla it was easier to get down because the flavor was more watered down than the others...Now that I am allowed coffee I am drinking coffee Protein drinks bc the coffee flavor is the only thing strong enough to cover the whey protein taste.

Hi - congrats on being sleeved! I was sleeved on 4/23. I feel your pain, the only way I can get them down is to turn them into a "smoothie". My favorites include: Atkins Cafe Caramel shake (15g Protein, 1g sugar, 160 calories, 2g net carbs) a shot of soy milk and a hand full of ice until its a milkshake consistency. Another one that tastes really good is EAS Carb Control in strawberry Cream (17g of protein, 0 sugar, 100 calories, 2.5 g net carbs) 2 large frozen strawberries (no sugar added) a shot of soy milk and a handful of ice - hope this helps! Best wishes to you :)

Could you mix unflavored powder into some chicken or beef broth?

Could you mix unflavored powder into some chicken or beef broth?

If the broth is too hot/warm the Protein clumps into gooey balls...

If the broth is too hot/warm the Protein clumps into gooey balls...

I haven't tried this with Protein powder, so it might not work, but what about tempering the powder first? A general cooking technique when adding a food that will clump (like beaten eggs) to a hot liquid is to take a small amount of the warm (not hot!) liquid & mix it with the clump-prone ingredient. You use only enough liquid to make a paste consistency. Once it is well-mixed, you can safely add the paste to the rest of the warm liquid & not get any clumps. You can even continue heating, if needed.

Have any of you tried Isopure? It' a gatorade type of drink. Comes in many flavors and a 20 oz bottle has 40 grams of protein! You can drink it straight or mix it with Crystal light. Lots of people also like nectar Protein, its very light tasting as well.

I make sugarfree pudding and spike it with Protein. 1 1/4 cup skim milk and blend in 1 or two scoops of protein powder, chocolate, vanilla or unflavored. (I prefer unjury) Blend it for about 10 seconds then add a small box of pudding (chocolate fudge for me) I separate into 2 bowls and chill. If you use 1 scoop it gives you about 15 grams of protein and helps give you much needed calories. If you use 2 scoops, it's packed with 25 grams of protein. I promise you can not taste nor smell any sign of protein.

I read where one lady for Breakfast takes a cup of skim milk and blends it with a scoop of unflavored and has a bowl of Cereal. Genius. I would have never thought about that.

There are lots of things you can do for protein, they don't have to be shakes if you don't want them to be.

Good luck all of you, I know it sucks now, but I'm telling you, It's gonna get so much better and you will be loving your sleeve soon! :)

I haven't tried this with Protein powder, so it might not work, but what about tempering the powder first? A general cooking technique when adding a food that will clump (like beaten eggs) to a hot liquid is to take a small amount of the warm (not hot!) liquid & mix it with the clump-prone ingredient. You use only enough liquid to make a paste consistency. Once it is well-mixed, you can safely add the paste to the rest of the warm liquid & not get any clumps. You can even continue heating, if needed.

Most of the Protein powders gel once heated past 140 degrees. That temp is luke warm at best. I emailed back and forth with the folks at unjury and asked that but they say it's a chemical reaction to heat.

Most of the Protein powders gel once heated past 140 degrees. That temp is luke warm at best. I emailed back and forth with the folks at unjury and asked that but they say it's a chemical reaction to heat.

Hmmm...OK, thanks. I was thinking of what I do when I make hollandaise or something that needs to stay liquid-y, but I can keep heating once the eggs are in. Never measured the temp, though, so it's probably not that high.

I did ok with the Protein Drinks pre op, but had a really hard time post op. I can not stand Isopure, just thinking of it makes me gag. I can't stand nectar powders, Premier Protein. I tried the Jay Robb egg Protein powder and I can tolerate it, but only the chocolate flavored. This has made all the difference in the world!