Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mental Hunger, How do you deal with it?

What is the best choices at taco bell please be honest

Lipstick lady has some great advice. The best choice at Taco Bell IS the exit door! I use distraction to deal with my head hunger. I get busy with a project around the house, go for a relaxing walk, or put on some music and dance around the house like a fool! (My personal favorite!!) Activity not only gets your mind off of it, but exercise is a natural appetite suppressant!

The exit door.

I agree, or Drive on past. But if you have to stop there, I'd pick the refried Beans and hot sauce.

post-46516-13813665037858_thumb.jpg

I work full time in an office which gets very busy (small office only 3 workers) I see them eating hamburgers, Breakfast Bagels, chicken kabobs, burritos etc etc etc the smell of food triggers my mental hunger! I usually drink Water or tea and for the most part it works but sometimes like today I am having a hard time.

This is one of the issues I know I will face post op. I'm still pre-op and probably a month or more away from surgery. The office where I work buys or cooks all of us lunch every day. There are occasionally healthy choices like a fresh made salad or grilled steaks or chicken and steamed (actually boiled, lol) veggies, etc... but most of the time it's burgers and fries, or fried chicken, or pizza, etc. I resorted to bringing my lunch long ago and just remind myself that it isn't that much of a cost vs. the "free" and unhealthy lunches here.

The smells are what I worry about. I have been eating low carb for nearly 3 years now and have learned to leave off processed foods, sugar, soda, etc. The cravings have disappeared for those things. But I am thinking post-op, the smells may very well trigger the mental hunger I've been reading about. I'm one of those people that felt like if I just smell bacon, I gain two pounds...

Perhaps the smells are related to memory too. I'm not sure how to deal with the mental and emotional aspects of food yet. I have a feeling it's pretty personal and often unique to each of us.

I work full time in an office which gets very busy (small office only 3 workers) I see them eating hamburgers' date=' Breakfast Bagels, chicken kabobs, burritos etc etc etc the smell of food triggers my mental hunger! I usually drink Water or tea and for the most part it works but sometimes like today I am having a hard time.[/quote']

That was *healthy recipes* not herby. Although I like herbs. Lol

Oh that sounds so tough! Can you get what they're having at lunch, but maybe only the meat? Or the burrito filling in a bowl w a fork? That sorta thing.

This is one of the issues I know I will face post op. I'm still pre-op and probably a month or more away from surgery. The office where I work buys or cooks all of us lunch every day. There are occasionally healthy choices like a fresh made salad or grilled steaks or chicken and steamed (actually boiled, lol) veggies, etc... but most of the time it's burgers and fries, or fried chicken, or pizza, etc. I resorted to bringing my lunch long ago and just remind myself that it isn't that much of a cost vs. the "free" and unhealthy lunches here.

The smells are what I worry about. I have been eating low carb for nearly 3 years now and have learned to leave off processed foods, sugar, soda, etc. The cravings have disappeared for those things. But I am thinking post-op, the smells may very well trigger the mental hunger I've been reading about. I'm one of those people that felt like if I just smell bacon, I gain two pounds...

Perhaps the smells are related to memory too. I'm not sure how to deal with the mental and emotional aspects of food yet. I have a feeling it's pretty personal and often unique to each of us.

Just think about all those people who used the potty, didn't wash their hands and then touched the food, the utensils, etc. Think of all their nasty breath on it, perhaps a cough or a sneeze and just the general ickyness of a buffet like arena of food. BLURP!!

You cannot taste the kale. But it does turn it greenish.

It looks like you make it in bulk?

Someone here mentioned retried Beans at Taco Bell, and having them add a serving of chicken to it. That sounds great and lots of Protein.< /p>

Another great deterrent I would use is, I'd carry a super fat, ugly picture of myself around with me. When I'd get close to the edge, I pull it out and look at it until the urge to eat went away! I haven't had the need for that extreme for a while, but I still carry it with me!!

My surgery will be June 10th. I know this will definitely be one of my struggles. I'm a nurse and we have drug reps bringing goodies all the time! Hoping to stay strong and use some of all of your tips.

I have been in the work situation where co-workers are eating Cookies, cupcakes, etc. so I tried a little taste. I found that the sugary stuff makes me feel sick but since that's my addiction I keep trying things here and there. LOL! Perhaps you could make yourself some healthy, portable treats to bring with you. I'm sure you can find some good recipes on the food and Nutrition forum here. I also suspect that stress from your workplace is a factor as you probably coped with it in the past by eating. I certainly did that. So now maybe you can think of other ways to cope with work stress that doesn't involve food. It ain't easy but you can do it! I think our head-hunger will probably always be an issue. But you wouldn't have gotten this far without determination.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4

I have been in the work situation where co-workers are eating cookies' date=' cupcakes, etc. so I tried a little taste. I found that the sugary stuff makes me feel sick but since that's my addiction I keep trying things here and there. LOL! Perhaps you could make yourself some healthy, portable treats to bring with you. I'm sure you can find some good recipes on the food and Nutrition forum here. I also suspect that stress from your workplace is a factor as you probably coped with it in the past by eating. I certainly did that. So now maybe you can think of other ways to cope with work stress that doesn't involve food. It ain't easy but you can do it! I think our head-hunger will probably always be an issue. But you wouldn't have gotten this far without determination.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4[/quote']

Thanks a lot! I am very lucky to have very supportive co workers who I know will do every thing they can to keep me in the right path. I'm getting so excited for surgery