Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much protein do I need?

I was given a Protein goal of 95. I am 5'7" and started out at 287 lbs. and I just turned 52. Now I see my dietitian on Monday and that number may change.

I have a shake for Breakfast every day. 33 g Protein

I have 2-3 Snacks and lunch and dinner my 3 snack depend on if I need protein or not. I try to eat something about every 2 1/2-3 hrs. And I sip sip sip.

Hope that helps. I was given detailed list of what I could eat and couldn't eat.

I almost feel like I have more restriction just in the past week.

Good luck

Dry roasted edamame 1/4 c 11 g

1/2 c 2% cottage cheese 14 g

2.5 oz pack of tuna in Water 18 g

1 oz turkey Jerky 11 g

100 cal pack of almond and walnuts 3 g

That's just to name a few

I wish my plan was individualized. My paperwork simply says 70-100 gr of protein /day and 64 oz liquid /day. ...I'm gonna have to sit down and develop some sample meals for myself. I consider myself doing great if I get 75 gr of protein and64oz of liquids / day. I am 53 yrs old, 5'6", wt day of surgery:256. Wt now, 6 wks out is 241. At a stall for 2wks.now. Moving so slowly with NO cheating.... I need help, my nut just said 15-20 lb the first mo Is desirable and a stall is normal. Sometimes I think the scales will never move again.... :(

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I stalled at around 2 wks and it lasted at least 2 wks. I finally upped my Protein and it helped a lot. Although I will admit that when I was stalled on the scale my body was down sizing.

Momof2boys I know what you mean about the Protein after surgery...I couldn't drink anymore of powdered stuff !! I am however now drinking a premade Protein Drink from GNC. Not the most tasty but I know I need it. I am going to try to get in 2 or 3 of them a day to see if I can break this stall. Each one has 25 grams of protein so I am so hopefull that is helps. I have a case of Ensure High Protein Drinks to try too.

P/S LOL @ "I always round it up to 2". I feel ya girl :)

Amazon13 I really appreciate all the suggestions and I promise I will give some of them a try. I do not like eggs, wish I did but I really can't stand them after my surgery. cheese strings are really rubbery but I can force them down. I don't like fish or Jerky I tried to eat tuna...but it wouldn't stay down... I am limited with what I can eat....I was hoping my tastes would change a little after surgery but no such luck. I don't like yogurt but I can tolerate the activia kind sometimes...I find I feel really nauseous if it's too cold, but then I can't eat it if it's room temp...yuck !! I tried the drinkable kind but it's really acidic. I sound like such a complainer !! LOL none the less I appreciate your suggestions.

I was thinking I may make my own granola to snack on throughout the day...I can load it up with nuts and dried fruit :)

Canadianchick, I think the general advice from the responders of more Protein and Water, fewer simple carbs. That said I struggle too with my job and the whole no eating and drinking rules. I find that I have to pre pack high Protein Snacks in my purse, car, and desk to make it all work. Making my Snacks ahead of time helps me with my portions and making fewer bad choices. Here's my 'schedule' most days, maybe it will help you:

Wake up- 8 oz flavored water

In car on way to work- breakfast- Protein shake

At work- a cup of herbal tea

Mid morning snack- 1/4 c wasabi soy nuts, mini Babybel cheese, or 1 oz mixed nuts

Lunch- 3 chicken meatballs

1 hour later- 16 oz Crystal light

Mid afternoon snack- protein bar( e.g. Quest bar) no sugar added apple sauce and cottage cheese or 1 serving cheez its and Greek yogurt

In car on way home 16 oz flavored water

Dinner- 2 slices low salt deli meat with 1 slice of cheese in the middle cooked until melted plus a few spoonfuls of steamed veggies, and a few bites of potato

After dinner/ before bed 8-16 oz Water

With this routine, I average about 70 grams or more protein, 50 grams or less of carbs and 50 oz or more of water. Planning is everything for example, I make my crystal light when I heat up my lunch otherwise who knows when I'll get a break or remember to get some later.

Amazon13 I really appreciate all the suggestions and I promise I will give some of them a try. I do not like eggs, wish I did but I really can't stand them after my surgery. cheese strings are really rubbery but I can force them down. I don't like fish or Jerky I tried to eat tuna...but it wouldn't stay down... I am limited with what I can eat....I was hoping my tastes would change a little after surgery but no such luck. I don't like yogurt but I can tolerate the activia kind sometimes...I find I feel really nauseous if it's too cold, but then I can't eat it if it's room temp...yuck !! I tried the drinkable kind but it's really acidic. I sound like such a complainer !! LOL none the less I appreciate your suggestions.

I was thinking I may make my own granola to snack on throughout the day...I can load it up with nuts and dried fruit :)

I don't remember how far out you are but be very careful with nuts(some docs say wait 6 months for nuts) and dried fruit is extremely high in sugar and calories. Stick with chicken, turkey, deli meats; pureed or soften them up if you have too. This would be way better than eating goldfish or granola, you need to break that snack habit or it will get out of control as the months go by; trust me I love crunchy snacks!!

To get your MINIMUM Protein requirement you multiply your current body weight by .3

Example 170 x .3 = 53

This person would eat a minimum of 55 gr. of Protein a day.

This is a basic formula my surgical team uses.

What are you doing to move your body?

Dense Proteins really help with hunger and snacking. If you're full of chicken you will not be as inclined to snack. Try trading snacking for sipping. Do it gradually so you don't trigger feeling deprived but let that be "the thing" you are working on. You metabolism needs to know you've made a change. Snacking doesn't force the issue :)

Thank you CBT what a cool little trick !! So according to my calculation then I should be aiming for a minimum of 60 grams of Protein.< /p>

I am currently walking for exercise. I wish I could do yoga or something but I have arthritis so right now it's too difficult to get down on the floor. I will start swimming once the weather heats up some. I also do the WiFit. Hoola hooping and step mostly.

Thank you CBT what a cool little trick !! So according to my calculation then I should be aiming for a minimum of 60 grams of Protein.

I am currently walking for exercise. I wish I could do yoga or something but I have arthritis so right now it's too difficult to get down on the floor. I will start swimming once the weather heats up some. I also do the WiFit. Hoola hooping and step mostly.

Its my pleasure!

walking is great for weight loss. It helps preserve lean muscle mass and promotes fat loss instead of muscle loss is WLS patients. Lean muscle is in all your organs as well as muscle. I believe that why some people age with rapid weight loss; They are losing too much lean muscle. People think they need to sweat and train cardiovascular and for WLS patients this is not tire and can in fact cause you to burn muscle as your body tries to hold onto fat.

Light resistance training is a must! I hear you on the arthritis; still, some form of weight training is really important. You'll get to the pool before you know it. As you lose that arthritis will improve. The overall cellular inflammation is so improved!!!

Just keep movin! You'll get it sorted.