Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Big Caloric Deficits and Lots of Activity Can Hurt Fat Loss

I am sharing this article as food for thought, especially for the slow losers! (The bottom line is to follow the Dr.'s instructions) Many people have found what works for them, but for those of us who feel like we are doing "everything right" and encounter frustrations, a little reading couldn't hurt:

This week, several people have brought a recent case-study to my attention and asked me for comment. In it, a 51 year old female began marathon training along with a (self-reported) low calorie diet and either appears to have gained weight or not lost weight (she also showed a very depressed metabolic rate, nearly 30% below predicted). By raising her calories gradually, her body fat (as measured by BIA) came down and her metabolic rate increased. Now, without more details, it’s hard to really comment on this and the link to the case study is the total amount of information available. But we’ve got an older (either post-menopausal or peri-menopausal) woman, undisclosed anti-depressant medication, self-reported food intake and a method of body fat measurement that is, at best, problematic (read Methods of Body Composition Measurement Part 2 for more details). Odd things happen metabolically around menopause, some medications can cause issues, food reporting is notoriously inaccurate and BIA isn’t ideal to track changes. Then again, the measured metabolic rate change is pretty interesting; something was going on. That said, I’ve mentioned in previous articles that one oddity that I’ve seen (and personally experienced) over the years is one where the combination of very large caloric deficits and very large amounts of activity (especially higher-intensity activity) can cause problems for people either stalling or slowing fat loss. Like my previous article on The LTDFLE, or Long-term Delayed Fat Loss Effect, this is one of those oddities that seems to crop up more often than you’d expect. It’s also one where there’s not a ton of research but I will happily provide a good bit of speculation on what I think may be going on. I’d also note that the combination of big caloric deficits and large amounts of activity clearly isn’t detrimental to everyone. Some folks can get away with it but, for many, it tends to backfire more than anything else. First, Some Background Back in my early 20′s, I remember a very specific client I had. She was a little bit, well, to be honest nuts. She was older, I think she had gone through menopause but I wouldn’t swear to that. In any case, she started working with me, determined to lose weight and immediately jumped into something like 2 hours of cardio per day and cut calories massively. She claimed 600 calories per day and I won’t even try to describe her diet; it was insane (Breakfast was supposedly one-half an egg and to this day I’m not entirely sure how you eat half an egg). Now, I didn’t know much at that point but I had this general idea that too much activity and too few calories was a bad thing. For weeks on end I entreated her to either cut her activity or raise her calories. She adamantly refused; how could that possibly work? I tried to point out that what she was doing wasn’t working either and she could hardly do worse by trying something different but that line of logic went nowhere. In any event, at one point she went on a cruise or a vacation or something. And what do you think she did? Exercised less and ate more like everybody does on vacation. And she came back something like 5 pounds lighter (some of which may very well have been The LTDFLE mind you). “See, see.” I told her, “You ate more and exercised less and good things happened.” And she immediately went back to a massive caloric deficit and over-exercising. But that’s how it goes sometimes. Later in my 20′s, mind you, I’d do the same thing during the now infamous Bodyopus experience (probably the singular experience that taught me what NOT to do during a fat loss diet). Frustrated by stalled fat loss (I had dieted far too long at that point in the first place), I worked even harder, cutting calories further and adding more activity. That coupled with some genuinely awful ‘carb-loads’ took fat loss to a standstill. In addition to those case studies, this is a phenomenon that I’ve seen elsewhere including the support forum, I imagine readers run into it constantly: people (frequently but not always women) who try to combine excessive caloric deficits with massive amounts of activity (often with a lot of that activity being high-intensity activity) and nothing is happening. And if you can get them to reduce activity (or just cut back the intensity to reasonable level) or increase calories, things invariably start to work better. . What’s Going On: Let’s Talk About Cortisol Cortisol is one of those hormones that I imagine everyone reading this has heard about and about which a lot of misinformation exists. Simply cortisol is a stress hormone, released by the body in response to nearly all kinds of stress. In the fitness/bodybuilding world, cortisol has gotten an almost exclusively negative reputation (cortisol is ‘bad’ in the way that testosterone and thyroid are ‘good’) although this is simplistically incorrect. Rather, whether cortisol does good things or bad things in the body depends on how it’s released. Simply (and I’d simply, ha ha, refer folks to Robert Sapolsky’s amazing book Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers for a detailed look at this; I also talk about cortisol in The Stubborn Fat Solution), acute pulses of cortisol tend to do good things and be adaptive and chronic elevations in cortisol tend to be bad and be maladaptive. For example, the morning cortisol pulse helps to promote fat mobilization. In contrast, a chronic elevation of cortisol (especially in the face of high insulin levels) tend to promote visceral fat accumulation. As a non-fitness related topic, acute pulses of cortisol tend to be good for memory (why we often remember stressful situations in such detail) while chronic elevations (as often seen in depression) make memory go down the toilet. And there are endless other examples of where acute cortisol pulses are good and chronic elevations are bad; again see Sapolsky’s book for details. In any case, dieting in general is a stress. And of course training is a stress. And the more extreme you do of each, the more of a stress occurs. And I suspect that a lot of what is going on when folks try to combine excessive caloric deficits with massive amounts of activity is that cortisol just goes through the roof (there’s another issue I’ll come back to at the end that relates to this). Simply, you get these massive chronic elevations in cortisol levels. Tangentially, this is also one reason I suspect that various types of cyclical dieting help with some of this issue. For at least brief periods, when calories are raised to maintenance or above, you break the diet/training induced elevations in cortisol. This of course assumes that the person isn’t mentally stressed to the nines by raising calories like that but I’m getting ahead of myself. . So Why is This Bad? As noted above, chronic elevations in cortisol can cause a lot of bad things to happen. One of them is simply Water retention and I’ve mentioned in previous articles that water retention can mask fat loss, sometimes for extremely extended periods. I talked about this in some detail in The LTDFLE and suspect that some of the ‘fat loss’ is actually just water loss when calories are raised and cortisol mediated water retention dissipates. Reducing total training (volume, frequency, intensity or some combination) does the same thing. But that’s probably not all of what’s going on. Another effect of chronically elevated cortisol levels is leptin resistance in the brain. I’m not going to talk about leptin endlessly here again, you can read the Bodyweight Regulation Series for more information. When the normal leptin signal to the brain is blocked, a lot of things can go wrong metabolically and I suspect that this is part of the problem. In this vein, although not necessarily related to cortisol per se, at least one study found that the addition of 6 hours per week of aerobic activity to a very low calorie diet (in this case a Protein sparing modified fast) caused a larger decrement in metabolic rate than the diet alone. The body appears to monitor caloric availability (simplistically caloric intake minus output) and if it gets too low, bad things can happen. This is why I so strongly suggested AGAINST the inclusion of much cardio in The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook; it causes more harm than good. Invariably, the biggest source of failure on that plan is when people ignore my advice and try to do a bunch of cardio. And fat loss stops. In any case, there are several different plausible mechanisms by which the combination of excessive caloric deficits an large amounts of activity can cause problems. Whether it’s simply cortisol related water retention, a drop in metabolic rate due to leptin resistance or something else, something is going on. From a more practical standpoint, for a lot of people, the combination simply doesn’t work. Mind you, some seem to get away with it but not all. . An Additional Variable There is another variable that I have noticed over the years in looking at this issue. As odd as it sounds, it has to do with personality. In discussing this, for example, I’ve often noted that the people who seem to have the biggest issues with the whole lots of cardio/big caloric deficit tend to be a little bit ‘tightly wound’ (to put it politely). A bit less politely they are stress cases. You can almost ‘hear’ the stress in their typing. Every post has lots of exclamation points and there is this undercurrent of “I MUST LOSE FAT NOW!!!!!!” in their posts. When fat loss stalls for a day, they freak out and want to cut calories or go add another hour of cardio. You can almost ‘see’ the tension in them as they sit hammering at the keyboard looking for solutions. And this is an issue because these types of folks already over-secrete cortisol. As a true oddity, there is the issue of amenorrhea (loss of menstrual cycle). Typically it’s been thought to be related to body fat levels or caloric intake and this is a general cause. But there is often a type of amenorrhea seen in women without any of the normal predisposing factors. In this case, it’s all due to mental stress. Basically, there is a subset of folks who are already high-level stress cases. They tend to be drawn to harder is better in the first place, tend to be resistant to change (like my client from my early 20′s) and their already high level of cortisol production is simply amplified by the combination of too much activity and too few calories. And suggestions to raise calories and/or reduce activity are invariably met by resistance (again, like my client from ages ago). What they really need is to just chill the hell out. But invariably the approach that they are intuitively drawn to is the wrong one for them: moderate deficits and moderate activity always work better in those folks. It’s getting them to do it that’s the hard part. Tangentially, I suspect that the classic hardgainer is of a typical type but that’s another topic for another day. . Summing Up So that’s that, a look at one of the oddities of fat loss, the situation where the combination of excessive caloric deficits and excessive amounts of activity seem to hurt rather than help fat loss, along with some gross speculation (and just enough research to make it sound like I know what I’m talking about) on what may be going on. In a practical sense, of course, most of the background isn’t that relevant. The simple facts for the majority of folks is this: you can either cut calories hard OR do large amounts of activity. But you can’t do both. Well you can do both, you just probably shouldn’t under most circumstances. Share and Enjoy: Where am I: Blog > Fat loss > Physiology of Fat Loss > Why Big Caloric Deficits and Lots of Activity Can Hurt Fat Loss

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

For those of us stressing over numbers but are feeling & looking better & healthier- Should we really chill the hell out?

Thank you so much for posting this. I have been pushing hard at the gym since my 6 month pre op diet. I'm down 144 pounds but have been stuck the last 4 months. In the last 3 weeks I've been following my dr's recommended calorie increase & cut back on my cardio. It seems like my body started shedding more fat last week, although Aunt Flo came a calling & halted my progress so I'm not 100% certain. Lol. I'll let you know where I am in 5-7 days. :)

That's great! I recently increased my calories while maintaining my workouts and started Losing again. I hope it continues, because I feel so much better working out. I can't live on 600 cal and watch my muscle waste away with the fat. I'm starting to see that leaning how to make better choices that I can stick with for life is MUCH more valuable that losing all my weight super fast along with my muscle. Not saying I don't wish it weren't going faster, but at least it's moving! You are doing AWESOME!! I've been reading a lot about BMR and TDEE. I plan to go that route when I get closer to goal. Eatmore2weighless.com

That's great! I recently increased my calories while maintaining my workouts and started Losing again. I hope it continues' date=' because I feel so much better working out. I can't live on 600 cal and watch my muscle waste away with the fat. I'm starting to see that leaning how to make better choices that I can stick with for life is MUCH more valuable that losing all my weight super fast along with my muscle. Not saying I don't wish it weren't going faster, but at least it's moving! You are doing AWESOME!! I've been reading a lot about BMR and TDEE. I plan to go that route when I get closer to goal. Eatmore2weighless.com[/quote']

I love working out too. Watching my muscles sculpt & my bones appear but I was frustrated to push so hard & see zero weight come off. But I've been around 800-1000 since 4-5 months after surgery & recently increased to 1300. My bmr says for weight loss I need to be 1400-1500 calories. I need to find my paper, I cant remember what my tdee is.

Please keep me posted on how things are working for you! You're already wildly successful! I know they always say to ease up the cals slowly. Most people gain some when they start upping but will begin to lose again once the metabolism levels out. This whole thing has SO many theories, but I guess we just have to do what works for us. One thing- I had my body fat measured at the gym the other day and realized that at my BF%, It's not likely that I will be able to get down to my original goal without losing a good bit of muscle, so I went with the one this spreadsheet gave me for my desired BF% https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

Can you tell me more about what you are eating on non exercise days? And what do you eat on exercise days? My BMR shows my Maintenance zone: 1642-2134. Weight loss zone: 1314-1642.

My RMR: 1642. My TEO: 2305. (Total= REE + lifestyle + exercise).

Does that help you at all? Cause I'm at a loss. It says my metabolism is normal & I burn 171 calories in 30 minutes of moderate exercise.

I can barely eat my BMR (1600 cal) right now at almost 3 months out, and I'm sure I'd be burned at the stake for mentioning that I tried (added Protein Bars, but it got the scale moving again)! I don't plan to go this route until I'm further out and closer to goal. My trainer won't do much weight training with me until I can eat more. I have been gathering the info, but I am in by no means an expert. I should be asking you how to lose! lol What is your email address? I will email you the document with step by step guidelines and FAQ.

I can barely eat my BMR (1600 cal) right now at almost 3 months out' date=' and I'm sure I'd be burned at the stake for mentioning that I tried (added Protein bars, but it got the scale moving again)! I don't plan to go this route until I'm further out and closer to goal. My trainer won't do much weight training with me until I can eat more. I have been gathering the info, but I am in by no means an expert. I should be asking you how to lose! lol What is your email address? I will email you the document with step by step guidelines and FAQ.[/quote']

I'll pm you my email address. I wish I was an expert! I did great until my body put the skids on my loss. Now I feel like a failure. :-/

You are far from a failure, you are doing AWESOME, and you look like a rockstar! Look at how far you have come! It's about health above all, and I'm sure you would say you feel healthier than before! Health is about life style decisions, not going to the extreme and not being able to maintain for life. Like the article is saying, sometimes we just need to chill out, quit obsessing, and feed our bodies. We all know the last few pounds to goal will be the hardest, but don't be so hard on yourself! Focus on what you have achieved rather than what you haven't. I have a history of obsessing, going to the extreme, doing great, losing weight, and then burning out and going back to my old ways. NOT THIS TIME. My body is a bit crazy, I lost good for the first couple weeks, then it put the skids on my loss (YES, starting in month 2, eating 600-800 cal/day, low carb, 60+g Protein, 80+ oz Water, with exercise!) I kept with the program and wasn't exactly "stalling," because I lose about 0.5 lb/week eating at a 3-4 lb/week deficit. I have been trying everything that people say to do on here, and nothing seems to work. I am on week 6 of C25K, and my loss pretty much slowed down to a crawl right around the time I started. But I feel GREAT being able to run 20+ min. Hunger came back around that time, too- my body wanted to be fueled. I've started slowly upping my cals to the recommended 1,200 per day. I struggle deciding whether or not to eat back my exercise cals, but it kind of balances when I add a post work out snack to refuel. My net for the last month has been about 1,000 cal/day, which means I should have lost 9 lbs in the past month. I lost 2-3 lbs. Bottom line, I am still trying to figure out the equation to keep losing steadily and be able to maintain muscle. In the mean time, I was squeezing into a size 18 pants & XL tops pre surgery, and now I am wearing a size 14 w loose L tops. That is a size 10 dress in my pic. A size 10! If it takes me 3 years to reach goal, AWESOME, more time to instill good habits :-) Good luck and please keep me posted! I'm open to suggestions from someone as successful as you!!!

You are far from a failure' date=' you are doing AWESOME, and you look like a rockstar! Look at how far you have come! It's about health above all, and I'm sure you would say you feel healthier than before! Health is about life style decisions, not going to the extreme and not being able to maintain for life. Like the article is saying, sometimes we just need to chill out, quit obsessing, and feed our bodies. We all know the last few pounds to goal will be the hardest, but don't be so hard on yourself! Focus on what you have achieved rather than what you haven't. I have a history of obsessing, going to the extreme, doing great, losing weight, and then burning out and going back to my old ways. NOT THIS TIME. My body is a bit crazy, I lost good for the first couple weeks, then it put the skids on my loss (YES, starting in month 2, eating 600-800 cal/day, low carb, 60+g Protein, 80+ oz Water, with exercise!) I kept with the program and wasn't exactly "stalling," because I lose about 0.5 lb/week eating at a 3-4 lb/week deficit. I have been trying everything that people say to do on here, and nothing seems to work. I am on week 6 of C25K, and my loss pretty much slowed down to a crawl right around the time I started. But I feel GREAT being able to run 20+ min. Hunger came back around that time, too- my body wanted to be fueled. I've started slowly upping my cals to the recommended 1,200 per day. I struggle deciding whether or not to eat back my exercise cals, but it kind of balances when I add a post work out snack to refuel. My net for the last month has been about 1,000 cal/day, which means I should have lost 9 lbs in the past month. I lost 2-3 lbs. Bottom line, I am still trying to figure out the equation to keep losing steadily and be able to maintain muscle. In the mean time, I was squeezing into a size 18 pants & XL tops pre surgery, and now I am wearing a size 14 w loose L tops. That is a size 10 dress in my pic. A size 10! If it takes me 3 years to reach goal, AWESOME, more time to instill good habits :-) Good luck and please keep me posted! I'm open to suggestions from someone as successful as you!!![/quote']

I know you are right! And when I look at others pictures that are size 12 or larger, I think, "look how amazing she looks! So tiny!" But we are our own worst critics unfortunately. I hope I can be more accepting of myself after I have my corset trunkplasty on May 28th. I think the extra skin on my stomach is a big part of the reason I'm so critical of myself & my success. I had recently started running as well & that seemed to be when my weight loss stopped completely. I've cut back cardio & increased calories, I'm hoping that this will trick my body back into losing again when I slowly add back in cardio. On days I do cardio, I plan to eat a couple hundred calories more than the days I don't. Ill definitely keep you posted! Thank you for the email info.

It sounds like your body has done exactly what mine did,eating at plan & lost very little. A lot came off early, but I lost 50 pre surgery. And I skidded to a stop pretty early in this process. I know that a lot of people lose a ton & don't exercise, but I think I must be very toned, I know a lot of women around my height that weigh 160-170 & wear size 12 (which I've been in since 215 pounds.). I will keep on keeping on because I feel healthy & so much happier when I exercise! Keep me posted on your progress as well.

My eyes hurt....... :) .........lots of reading there, but very interesting! Thanks "itstheamarie"!

haha, clearly too much to read! But I was going through a bit of an obsessive period. After reading tons of articles, books, and studies regarding feeding your body and strength training, I've calmed down a bit, lol.

I can barely eat my BMR (1600 cal) right now at almost 3 months out' date=' and I'm sure I'd be burned at the stake for mentioning that I tried (added Protein bars, but it got the scale moving again)! I don't plan to go this route until I'm further out and closer to goal. My trainer won't do much weight training with me until I can eat more. I have been gathering the info, but I am in by no means an expert. I should be asking you how to lose! lol What is your email address? I will email you the document with step by step guidelines and FAQ.[/quote']

Can I get that outline too?

I am sharing this article as food for thought, especially for the slow losers! (The bottom line is to follow the Dr.'s instructions) Many people have found what works for them, but for those of us who feel like we are doing "everything right" and encounter frustrations, a little reading couldn't hurt: This week, several people have brought a recent case-study to my attention and asked me for comment. In it, a 51 year old female began marathon training along with a (self-reported) low calorie diet and either appears to have gained weight or not lost weight (she also showed a very depressed metabolic rate, nearly 30% below predicted). By raising her calories gradually, her body fat (as measured by BIA) came down and her metabolic rate increased. Now, without more details, it’s hard to really comment on this and the link to the case study is the total amount of information available. But we’ve got an older (either post-menopausal or peri-menopausal) woman, undisclosed anti-depressant medication, self-reported food intake and a method of body fat measurement that is, at best, problematic (read Methods of Body Composition Measurement Part 2 for more details). Odd things happen metabolically around menopause, some medications can cause issues, food reporting is notoriously inaccurate and BIA isn’t ideal to track changes. Then again, the measured metabolic rate change is pretty interesting; something was going on. That said, I’ve mentioned in previous articles that one oddity that I’ve seen (and personally experienced) over the years is one where the combination of very large caloric deficits and very large amounts of activity (especially higher-intensity activity) can cause problems for people either stalling or slowing fat loss. Like my previous article on The LTDFLE, or Long-term Delayed Fat Loss Effect, this is one of those oddities that seems to crop up more often than you’d expect. It’s also one where there’s not a ton of research but I will happily provide a good bit of speculation on what I think may be going on. I’d also note that the combination of big caloric deficits and large amounts of activity clearly isn’t detrimental to everyone. Some folks can get away with it but, for many, it tends to backfire more than anything else. First, Some Background Back in my early 20′s, I remember a very specific client I had. She was a little bit, well, to be honest nuts. She was older, I think she had gone through menopause but I wouldn’t swear to that. In any case, she started working with me, determined to lose weight and immediately jumped into something like 2 hours of cardio per day and cut calories massively. She claimed 600 calories per day and I won’t even try to describe her diet; it was insane (breakfast was supposedly one-half an egg and to this day I’m not entirely sure how you eat half an egg). Now, I didn’t know much at that point but I had this general idea that too much activity and too few calories was a bad thing. For weeks on end I entreated her to either cut her activity or raise her calories. She adamantly refused; how could that possibly work? I tried to point out that what she was doing wasn’t working either and she could hardly do worse by trying something different but that line of logic went nowhere. In any event, at one point she went on a cruise or a vacation or something. And what do you think she did? Exercised less and ate more like everybody does on vacation. And she came back something like 5 pounds lighter (some of which may very well have been The LTDFLE mind you). “See, see.” I told her, “You ate more and exercised less and good things happened.” And she immediately went back to a massive caloric deficit and over-exercising. But that’s how it goes sometimes. Later in my 20′s, mind you, I’d do the same thing during the now infamous Bodyopus experience (probably the singular experience that taught me what NOT to do during a fat loss diet). Frustrated by stalled fat loss (I had dieted far too long at that point in the first place), I worked even harder, cutting calories further and adding more activity. That coupled with some genuinely awful ‘carb-loads’ took fat loss to a standstill. In addition to those case studies, this is a phenomenon that I’ve seen elsewhere including the support forum, I imagine readers run into it constantly: people (frequently but not always women) who try to combine excessive caloric deficits with massive amounts of activity (often with a lot of that activity being high-intensity activity) and nothing is happening. And if you can get them to reduce activity (or just cut back the intensity to reasonable level) or increase calories, things invariably start to work better. . What’s Going On: Let’s Talk About Cortisol Cortisol is one of those hormones that I imagine everyone reading this has heard about and about which a lot of misinformation exists. Simply cortisol is a stress hormone, released by the body in response to nearly all kinds of stress. In the fitness/bodybuilding world, cortisol has gotten an almost exclusively negative reputation (cortisol is ‘bad’ in the way that testosterone and thyroid are ‘good’) although this is simplistically incorrect. Rather, whether cortisol does good things or bad things in the body depends on how it’s released. Simply (and I’d simply, ha ha, refer folks to Robert Sapolsky’s amazing book Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers for a detailed look at this; I also talk about cortisol in The Stubborn Fat Solution), acute pulses of cortisol tend to do good things and be adaptive and chronic elevations in cortisol tend to be bad and be maladaptive. For example, the morning cortisol pulse helps to promote fat mobilization. In contrast, a chronic elevation of cortisol (especially in the face of high insulin levels) tend to promote visceral fat accumulation. As a non-fitness related topic, acute pulses of cortisol tend to be good for memory (why we often remember stressful situations in such detail) while chronic elevations (as often seen in depression) make memory go down the toilet. And there are endless other examples of where acute cortisol pulses are good and chronic elevations are bad; again see Sapolsky’s book for details. In any case, dieting in general is a stress. And of course training is a stress. And the more extreme you do of each, the more of a stress occurs. And I suspect that a lot of what is going on when folks try to combine excessive caloric deficits with massive amounts of activity is that cortisol just goes through the roof (there’s another issue I’ll come back to at the end that relates to this). Simply, you get these massive chronic elevations in cortisol levels. Tangentially, this is also one reason I suspect that various types of cyclical dieting help with some of this issue. For at least brief periods, when calories are raised to maintenance or above, you break the diet/training induced elevations in cortisol. This of course assumes that the person isn’t mentally stressed to the nines by raising calories like that but I’m getting ahead of myself. . So Why is This Bad? As noted above, chronic elevations in cortisol can cause a lot of bad things to happen. One of them is simply Water retention and I’ve mentioned in previous articles that water retention can mask fat loss, sometimes for extremely extended periods. I talked about this in some detail in The LTDFLE and suspect that some of the ‘fat loss’ is actually just water loss when calories are raised and cortisol mediated water retention dissipates. Reducing total training (volume, frequency, intensity or some combination) does the same thing. But that’s probably not all of what’s going on. Another effect of chronically elevated cortisol levels is leptin resistance in the brain. I’m not going to talk about leptin endlessly here again, you can read the Bodyweight Regulation Series for more information. When the normal leptin signal to the brain is blocked, a lot of things can go wrong metabolically and I suspect that this is part of the problem. In this vein, although not necessarily related to cortisol per se, at least one study found that the addition of 6 hours per week of aerobic activity to a very low calorie diet (in this case a Protein sparing modified fast) caused a larger decrement in metabolic rate than the diet alone. The body appears to monitor caloric availability (simplistically caloric intake minus output) and if it gets too low, bad things can happen. This is why I so strongly suggested AGAINST the inclusion of much cardio in The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook; it causes more harm than good. Invariably, the biggest source of failure on that plan is when people ignore my advice and try to do a bunch of cardio. And fat loss stops. In any case, there are several different plausible mechanisms by which the combination of excessive caloric deficits an large amounts of activity can cause problems. Whether it’s simply cortisol related water retention, a drop in metabolic rate due to leptin resistance or something else, something is going on. From a more practical standpoint, for a lot of people, the combination simply doesn’t work. Mind you, some seem to get away with it but not all. . An Additional Variable There is another variable that I have noticed over the years in looking at this issue. As odd as it sounds, it has to do with personality. In discussing this, for example, I’ve often noted that the people who seem to have the biggest issues with the whole lots of cardio/big caloric deficit tend to be a little bit ‘tightly wound’ (to put it politely). A bit less politely they are stress cases. You can almost ‘hear’ the stress in their typing. Every post has lots of exclamation points and there is this undercurrent of “I MUST LOSE FAT NOW!!!!!!” in their posts. When fat loss stalls for a day, they freak out and want to cut calories or go add another hour of cardio. You can almost ‘see’ the tension in them as they sit hammering at the keyboard looking for solutions. And this is an issue because these types of folks already over-secrete cortisol. As a true oddity, there is the issue of amenorrhea (loss of menstrual cycle). Typically it’s been thought to be related to body fat levels or caloric intake and this is a general cause. But there is often a type of amenorrhea seen in women without any of the normal predisposing factors. In this case, it’s all due to mental stress. Basically, there is a subset of folks who are already high-level stress cases. They tend to be drawn to harder is better in the first place, tend to be resistant to change (like my client from my early 20′s) and their already high level of cortisol production is simply amplified by the combination of too much activity and too few calories. And suggestions to raise calories and/or reduce activity are invariably met by resistance (again, like my client from ages ago). What they really need is to just chill the hell out. But invariably the approach that they are intuitively drawn to is the wrong one for them: moderate deficits and moderate activity always work better in those folks. It’s getting them to do it that’s the hard part. Tangentially, I suspect that the classic hardgainer is of a typical type but that’s another topic for another day. . Summing Up So that’s that, a look at one of the oddities of fat loss, the situation where the combination of excessive caloric deficits and excessive amounts of activity seem to hurt rather than help fat loss, along with some gross speculation (and just enough research to make it sound like I know what I’m talking about) on what may be going on. In a practical sense, of course, most of the background isn’t that relevant. The simple facts for the majority of folks is this: you can either cut calories hard OR do large amounts of activity. But you can’t do both. Well you can do both, you just probably shouldn’t under most circumstances. Share and Enjoy: Where am I: Blog > Fat loss > Physiology of Fat Loss > Why Big Caloric Deficits and Lots of Activity Can Hurt Fat Loss http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html For those of us stressing over numbers but are feeling & looking better & healthier- Should we really chill the hell out?