Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aussie Aussie Aussie, Gold Coast sleevers

Hi All,

I'm currently banded and am really considering the sleeve. I see Dr Jordaan on the GC from Surgical Weightloss Centre on the 17/01/14 and have to admit I'm a bit on the nervous side.

I've had trouble with my band for a long time, and the feelings of not being able to eat one day and then eat the horse and rider the next is not a good weightloss regime. I've not been able to eat meat other than mince with loads of gravy (great for the hips) in what seems like forever, so following any kind of sensible food plan is useless! All very disheartening actually.

I broke my back and neck in a car accident 2.5 years ago and when the regurg happens my back goes into spasm making me feel miserable. I've not been out to eat in months, who wants to have Soup when everyone else is eating lovely food, then have to make sure you know where the loo is, plus the head in a public loo is less than comfortable... Sorry TMI

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone in regards to the sleeve and more so if you had the band first, the good, bad and the ugly ????

Hi Guys, has anyone had Dr Jordaan as your surgeon? I would love some feedback about him..

I found him lovely at my appointment and booked to get sleeved September 18.

Thank you in advance

Hi, I had a RNY Gastric Bypass with Dr Jordaan, I was to be sleeved but due to complications with my gastric band, and reflux, I decided upon the RNY. I was done on the 8th May 2014 at Pindara.

As an RN I'm a little particular when it comes to my surgeons and I can honestly say, I do believe he was my best choice.

Last week (Thursday) I was at a stage of struggling to get even my tablets in, I called, spoke with Stephanie and told her what was going on, it was late in the day & within 30 mins he called me and said to come and see him on Friday morning. After I explained what was happening he booked me in for a gastroscope that afternoon. He was on call at Pindara, and after several emergencies he wasn't going to leave me the way I was feeling during the weekend, so he and Dr. Schlimmer made sure I got done. It was 9pm before he got to me, I didn't mind, emergencies take precedence, but he would check on me when he was able to. I had a stricture and he has called me daily since to see how I'm going.

You CAN'T go wrong with Jorrie Jordaan... FANTASTIC gentleman, and surgeon!

If you'd like to chat feel free to PM me on FB

Sheryl Hawkins

There is a small group of us who get together on a regular basis if anyone is interested in catching up.

PM me on FB

Sheryl Hawkins

Hi Folks, new to the forum, but have been on the journey for many years. I live on the Gold Coast, Qld Australia J and am considering the Sleeve. I was one of the first is Aust to have a Band back in 2000 so over 20 years ago !! Was placed by Dr Les Nathenson out of the Wesley in Brisbane, whilst I had great success with the band (just over 50Kg) I had to have the band removed after 12-14 months as a result of a Staf Infection, from the day of surgery I struggled with wound issues not healing properly and pain as a result of the infection. Underwent an ‘explority’ look and see surgery to wake and find that Les had removed the band altogether as there was a serious infection. Hmmm I wasn’t happy but.. I was down to 90Kg so needed some time for body to recover from the infections etc and life went on.. 20 years later I am now 52 and back up to 155kg.. Really considering the sleeve as I don’t have any reflux or other issues at this stage, also lot less risky than a bypass. I am looking for recommendations and experiences people have had with any local Gold Coast surgeons, my research has led me to Dr Jacobus Jordaan and Victor Liew, both seem to be at the opposite of each other when it comes after surgery support, but both seem very experienced and a big price difference. I am not wedded to either surgeon so keen to hear about others experiences with these or any other Gold Coast based surgeons.As well as your own journeys J my email is mikeyba@hotmail.com