Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What would the boy/girl you were at 18... think of the MAN/WOMAN you are today?

I think the 18 year old me would probably be disgusted with me for letting my body control me instead of the other way around.

However, I think she'd be impressed with my strength and perserverence. As a teen I was always concerned what people thought of me and did what I thought people wanted me to do. I've finally started listening to my own voice and recognising it's value.

Another thing my 18-year old self would be surprised to find out is how LITTLE I know now since she knew EVERYTHING then.

Whatever her judgement of me now I would advise her to express nothing but love and compassion because, truly, she's gonna need it.

My 18 year old self was utterly obnoxious. I knew everything. Now that I'm nearing 60, I know that I don't know anything. But I think she'd be surprised that I had two major depressions which added a whole lot of pounds, that I got a Ph.D. and taught in college for 23 years, that I'm taking care of my mother who was taking care of me then, and above all, that I never got married. I don't know why. It just never worked out. At 18, I fully intended to get married and have kids, but I just didn't. I was engaged 7 times, but never got married. I think I had fear of commitment. In college a guy told me I was there to get my Mrs. degree, but he was supremely wrong. I don't think I'll ever get married. I sort of regret not having kids, but I have been free to do what I wanted most of my life and that is good. I do know that my 18 year old self would be seriously distressed to know that I weigh 185 pounds after losing 35 pounds. I weighed 105 pounds my freshman year in college due to unusually lousy food in the cafeteria though I usually weighed around 125 pounds in my youth. My, how times change. I havenoticed that one of my colleagues seems to be interested in me. I don't know what to do. He's a very nice guy though he has no chin. I'm just not used to guys being interested in me. Maybe I'll start a new thread about this.:xena_banana:

My 18-year-old self would be like "Damn, girl, how'd you get so lucky?" I've got a wonderful, gorgeous, doting man, and I fell out of frump girl stage. I was frump girl... until about a year ago. I'm smaller and better looking now than I was in high school. I really, really want to go to my 10-year reunion this year!

You know how when you're 18, and you think you've got it all together and you're a little catty, and you see a fat lady and say to your friend "If I ever look like that, shoot me..." ? I'm the fat lady now and I want to smack my 18-year old self LOLOL!!

My 18 yr.old self would be surprised that I weigh this much, I always thought I was heavy in school and I only weighed 119# my senior year. She would be surprised that my marriage only lasted 5 yrs and I never got remarried, that I lived my life through my two boy's, but she would be proud of how my boy's turned out. She would be happy that I am finally putting me first after 42 yrs. and doing something about my health and learning to live for me and not other people. And I think she would be proud of how I stood my ground on what I felt was right no matter what.

Yikes I'm trying to remember 18.....size 7/8, shoe size 5, ring size 4......Well I seemed to have stetched my body just a bit to a size 26/28., but my shoes and bags always matched. Health problems took their toll..almost dying with a miscarriage at 22 but went on to have 2 great sons.

Married to the same wonderful guy that has stood by me fat or thin. Of course at 110 he thought I needed to lose weight.....lol. He said a 100 times he's sorry he ever said that.

I graduated from college with honors and went on to complete my masters in education.....only to have horrible asthma which kept me from teaching. Sixteen years of daily steroids blew me up......butI'm in remission......off steroids and anxious to go on with my life. I feel the band has given me a second chance.....to enter a new stage in life. We are snowbirds between Florida and NYC. I'm trying to be more active like I was at 18...there still is the kid in me. It's that spunk that has kept me going. Yes SPUNKY was my college nickname....and since now I'm a woman hence the new name. I'm proud of me for taking this step. I know I can do it this time.

Banded Aug7 2006

Dr George Fielding

NYU Medical Center......NYC

When I was 18, I was cute, petite, and maybe 120 pounds (and thought I was "just a cow")! As far as weight goes, I'd be totally disgusted and embarrassed of myself. Also, some of the "choices" I made in the last 10 years regarding my personal life have a lot to be desired. I would be proud that I have a beautiful 3 1/2 y.o. son, a fairly decent job, and have actually grown some gonads so that I'm not as pushed around and emotionally "needy" as I was then. I was soooo concerned what others thought of me I just molded to what THEY wanted. Now THEY have the real me to contend with! I think that just comes with age, experience, a good therapist, and the right medication....

Hum.....Very interesting question. I know my 18 y/o self would be totally surprised at how my life has turned out at 50. She would be proud that I eventually finished college and became a nurse at 35, but shocked at my choice of careers. She would be shocked that I got divorced and never remarried. Close numerous times, but no cigar. She would be very surprised that I allowed the pain from my romantic relationships to keep me from dating for 25 years. She would be proud of me for owning my own home and doing it by myself, although I don't still own it. She would be devasted that I became so obese after making fun of my obese relatives. She would be shocked that I became disabled at the age of 46. She would be proud of me for returning to college to higher my degree even though I was disabled. She would be thrilled that I got my daughter raised and still alive at the age of 33. She would be devastated that my daughter is not following the Christian way of life that she was raised with by choosing an alternative religion. She would be shocked that I'm still sitting here in my pj's at 5 pm with 5 dogs running around. She would be estatic that I have taken charge of my life and decided to have wls despite what everyone else thinks. She would be extremely proud of me for having enough sense to do something about my weight. She would be surprised that I have no self-esteem and am so depressed most of the time. But most of all, she would be proud that I have become a good and caring person who always puts others before myself, until now....

My 18, size 10 self, would be proud that I graduated college, amazed that I did not marry the Axel Rose lookalike/guitar playing/chain smoking guy she was dating, and happy to be in a happy marriage (her only one) with the cowboy/good ol boy and only 1 kid. She would be sad that she had the accident that made her not able to walk, with 5 disks out in her back, but proud that thru rehab she got better. She would be upset that her lifeguard figure went up to a multiple of 10, but happy that we figured out how to help it. She would be amazed that we never taught 3rd grade and ended up with high schoolers (3rd graders in bigger bodies), but happy that we get the chance to help others daily.

All in all, the 18 year old me would be proud of the 33 year old me. We made it out of the home life we grew up in, made it past several low points in our lives, and look forward to a happy healthy future.

My 18 year old self would say, you said you was gonna buy your first house before you turned 27 and that you would not only remember the poem by Langston Huges (I'm Determined To Be Somebody Someday), but you would live it. Oh yea and marry your first boyfriend (Mi Amor).

The 18 year old stubborn hard headed self assured girl would be very suprised that the love of my life (or so that's what I thought then) HS sweetheart, would of turned out to be such a pathetic cheater after 17 years together... would of also been suprised that I went up and down so much on my weight, would of been suprised that I ended up working in an actual CONVENT.... and also she would of been proud of me for surviving life's rollercoasters..........

DevilMayKare,

LMAO at the comment about you knowing everything at 18 and knowing little now. That's just way to good, but absolutely true of most of us who are a little older. However, you will know everything again when you get to be 71 like my mom. She never fails to tell us she knows everything and not to forget it. People WRITE IT DOWN when she admits she doesn't know something! LOL

My 18 year old self was already a high school drop out/ married and wild as a march hare.

If she cared....because she was a selfish lil wench.............

She would be pleasantly surprised that I ended up in the career that I did, happy that I am successful at it. Sad that I never had the white picket fence/happily ever after.