Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 MONTH MILESTONE - WE MADE IT!

Hey October 2012 sleevers! I'm curious to see how we fared on our first 6 month journey. I weigh-in tomorrow (I only weigh myself once a month on my surgery date, the 11th) so tomorrow morning I'll wake up with a drum-roll until I step on the scale and see the numbers. I feel my clothes getting looser, but I also know the loss has slowed down considerably since January. I see my surgeon on Friday and had blood work done. My major problem is my addiction to food. The over-eating part, wanting to just stuff myself sometimes and I can't -- it's not easy. Physically, I feel terrific - no more apnea, my back and feet aren't killing me-- lots of energy. But I also feel a little sadness inside, like I lost a friend (I know - I'm pathetic!) Can anyone relate?

You are not pathetic, you are human. We addict ourselves to things because of needs we have emotionally. Unless we find some other less destructive ways to meet those needs we continue on paths that we are familiar with, however detrimental.

Now you have chosen to step off of that old path. You must find fulfillment in life apart from stuffing. For whatever reason we overeat we must find ways to cope with life's challenges. Mine was nerves, and wanting to eat myself into dullness to escape the pain of life, food as a drug. We must face reality and make it a friend and not something to escape.

I think I have discovered the root of my over-indulgence in food; frustration with how my life was going. There were dreams I had that were never fulfilled, some that I wrecked by my own stupidity. It created a self-hatred and subsequently a careless attitude about how I took care of myself.

By prayer and meditation I have found peace with myself and with God. I no longer despise myself, the dreams that I had were great but other great things happened while I was dreaming. Life happened, love happened, I was blessed and was a blessing. I have finally made myself my friend.

I like living in this loose skin. :rolleyes::D

Wow! You hit the nail on the head, Hippy Uncle! I think the part about being disappointed in myself in not being strong enough to fulfill my dreams and aspirations, definitely caused the self-hatred/abuse cycle in my life. My blessings in life are many and I've gotten used to ignoring them and focusing on the negative! I have been praying for God's help to get through the food addiction, as I've done with other addictions in the past-with great success. I've been struggling for a couple of months now and I stopped visiting this site, rather than ask for help. (1st step-acknowledge the problem. I was ashamed to say I felt like I still want to stuff!) Thank you so much! You made my morning so much brighter. God bless you and your day!

You are not pathetic' date=' you are human. We addict ourselves to things because of needs we have emotionally. Unless we find some other less destructive ways to meet those needs we continue on paths that we are familiar with, however detrimental.

Now you have chosen to step off of that old path. You must find fulfillment in life apart from stuffing. For whatever reason we overeat we must find ways to cope with life's challenges. Mine was nerves, and wanting to eat myself into dullness to escape the pain of life, food as a drug. We must face reality and make it a friend and not something to escape.

I think I have discovered the root of my over-indulgence in food; frustration with how my life was going. There were dreams I had that were never fulfilled, some that I wrecked by my own stupidity. It created a self-hatred and subsequently a careless attitude about how I took care of myself.

By prayer and meditation I have found peace with myself and with God. I no longer despise myself, the dreams that I had were great but other great things happened while I was dreaming. Life happened, love happened, I was blessed and was a blessing. I have finally made myself my friend.

I like living in this loose skin. :rolleyes::D[/quote']

Wow! you are such an inspiration. Thanks for sharing those words. I've been dealing with a lot of painful issues in my life and turning to my good friends, Cupcake and Ice Cream. I'm trying to find "new" friends. lol

I am down 90lbs and I too still morn food. I have good and bad days. But I do feel much much better. But still have problems with what I see in the mirror. (other people see that I look better than what I see) I am hoping that will go away with time. But still so thankful for my sleeve.

Today is my 6 month surgiversary! I am down 75 pounds. Slowed down significantly since January. HW 255 CW 180 and still losing VERY slowly. I have lupus so exercise is minimal. So, I'm pretty proud of getting here. Only 30-40 more to go! Blessings and best wishes to all!

It was a long hard road to get here but things are getting better everyday. Haven't been able to exercise due to multiple medical issues and not eating enough calories to exercise. My doctors do not want me to lose anymore weight. Hard when you average 700 calories a day!