Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm kind of nervous about my surgery, does anyone have any advice?

On May 20th, I fly all the way from Atlanta, Georgia to Tijuana, Mexico to get sleeved br Dr. Ramos Kelly. I'm not really nervous about the surgery itself, I've been doing my research for the past three months and everyone I've seen who's used Dr. Kelly says that he's the best.

I'm more worried about before and after the surgery. The first thing I'm worried about is the flight. I've never flown before, due partly to a major fear of heights, and partly because I highly doubt my ability to squeeze into the seats. Both my mom and the coordinator lady we've been emailing said that it'll be fine if I get the window seat and mom sits next to me, but I'm not sure about that. How did your flights go?

The second thing I'm worried about is telling my dad, my parents are divorced and my mom has custody, so there's really nothing he can do to stop the surgery from happening, but I'm afraid of telling him because I don't know how he'll react. And I have no idea how to even bring up the topic. I've considered not telling him at all, but he'll start wondering why I've stopped eating so much and how I've lost so much weight and why I disappeared for four days. I think he'll be angry at me if I waited until after I had it done to tell him, and I think he'll be even angrier if I don't tell him and all and he just sort of... finds out. How did you guys handle telling people?

The third thing I'm worried about is pain after the surgery. Some people say that they had no pain at all after getting sleeved, but one of my best friends is in Mexico right now. She was sleeved yesterday by Dr. Almanza at the Jerusalem Hospital. She texted me today and told me that the pain was unbearable. How was the pain for yall's surgery?

And the last thing I'm worried about is excess skin. I've had some people tell me that because I'm so young (17), my skin will eventually tighten back to normal. How can I help it along? Have any of you guys had excessive problems with excess skin? I'm really, really, extremely worried about excess skin on my neck. I've got a signifant double chin, and even though I can handle excess skin on my stomach and arms and everywhere else, I don't think I could handle it on my face.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this! If anyone has any advice for me I'd be forever grateful!

Oh, P.S.- I LOVE Dr. Pepper, and I know you're not supposed to have it after the surgery, but is it an only-have-one-every-now-and-then thing, or a don't-ever-even-look-at-one-again thing? Thanks! :D

Hey, I flew to Tijuana a few weeks ago for my surgery. It was also my first flight, and I was really worried about fitting into the seats. I decided on an aisle seat with my mom sitting next to me. It was cramped and I did have to use a seatbelt extender, but it worked out okay. In hindsight, I would have preferred a window seat.

I was sleeved with Dr. Garcia, and my surgery pain wasn't bad at all. Maybe a 2 or 3 out of 10. After a day or so, it was a breeze. I did have pretty bad nausea the afternoon of my surgery and vomited up quite a bit of dried blood, but they assured me it was completely normal. I know recovery can be different for everyone, though.

I'm not sure about the excess skin -- I'm still too early on my journey. It's something I worry about too. But, I'd rather have some loose skin than be stuck in the body I'm in now. :)

Hey, I flew to Tijuana a few weeks ago for my surgery. It was also my first flight, and I was really worried about fitting into the seats. I decided on an aisle seat with my mom sitting next to me. It was cramped and I did have to use a seatbelt extender, but it worked out okay. In hindsight, I would have preferred a window seat.

I was sleeved with Dr. Garcia, and my surgery pain wasn't bad at all. Maybe a 2 or 3 out of 10. After a day or so, it was a breeze. I did have pretty bad nausea the afternoon of my surgery and vomited up quite a bit of dried blood, but they assured me it was completely normal. I know recovery can be different for everyone, though.

I'm not sure about the excess skin -- I'm still too early on my journey. It's something I worry about too. But, I'd rather have some loose skin than be stuck in the body I'm in now. :)

Oh dear. I've never heard of anyone throwing up dried blood, that must have been... unpleasant. I'm glad your surgery went well though!

My doctor would have "freaked" out had I vomited dried blood. I don't know anything about going to Mexico but I had very little pain after my surgery.

I went to Mexico to get my sleeve with DR.Alvarez. I have been on an airplane many times. The hardest part is take off. I kept adavan with me just if I needed it to calm my self down.

If you and your father are tight you should tell him. Me and my father are not that close and I told him .He didnt think it was a good idea and said that I was too young. I'm 24. I explained to him how difficult it has been and that I feel this is the solution and that was that. In the end its your body and you know how it feels to be so over weight.

When I first woke up from surgery I was still pretty drugged up. My mom says that I was crying from my shoulder pain.( the gas they fill you up with during surgery can get stuck in your body and cause pain till it passes). I also remember it being pretty painful. they hooked me up withpain meds and within an hour it was all gone. It would come back and then I would call the nurse and she would give me meds. I had some acid issues that their medication didn't take away. So I went the next day to the pharmacy and bought some tums. Bring tums with you and gas x strips very important! I also started walking allot the next day. Every half hour I did about 3 laps. It really helped get the gas out.

I think that excess skin is something you cannot run away from when you have gained a large amount of weight. I have allot of stretch marks and will definently need some plastic surgery for my stomach and chest. I'm hoping my thighs and arm shape up. Everyone is different though. My mom dosnt have any stretch marks on her stomach and when she loses weight she has no sagging. If you do end up with it you can have surgery to fix it even around your neck area. You can exercise drink lots of Water, exfoliate you body 2x a week and put firming lotion on daily(that's what I found on the internet). I don't believe that exfoliating and lotion help at all, that's just my opinion. I do agree with exercise ,weight lifting and staying well hydrated.

As for the Dr.pepper I love DR.pepper :) I have read about people that do drink it post op. Its loaded with sugar and is not good for you. So, if you do drink it post op you have to wait a while and make it a once in a while thing. I also have read that soda/pop can stretch the sleeve.

Take a sports bra that has no wire. Tums and Gas x Strips. Have your first week of Protein ready at home when You come back and Water. There is a forum here with a list of things to bring to the hospital. I think its in pre-op. Congratulations I'm very happy for you and I wish you the best of luck. This surgery is awesome. It will be difficult in the beginning but stay strong and in no time you will be used to the new life style. Water,protein and walking are most important so you don't get dehydrated and sick. Good luck :)

I had my surgery with dr. Almanza February 20th... It was very clean and everyone was exceptionally nice... I did have quite a bit of pain and as for me the pain medicine was like water... The first night is the worse bc of all the gas... With that said I am down almost 50 lbs and would do it all over again! The pros out weigh the cons! Good luck!

You'll be okay on the plane. I definitely recommend the window seat - there's a bit more "shoulder room" in that seat. I'm afraid of heights, but planes don't bother me - I have flown dozens of times since I was 18, including several times overseas. I would see if there's a mild anti-anxiety medication that your PCP can prescribe for you for the flight, though - taking off and landing can be a little nerve-wracking if you don't know what to expect.