Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

I'm so glad I don't know any girl scouts. I have no strength at all to resist thin mints. I could easily plow through a whole box in one sitting.

Now I just need to resist the girls who are selling them in front of grocery stores.

I know what you mean! My fave are the Shortbread Cookies and yogurt! Yum! Together they taste like a really good pie! I have some Girl Scouts at my work, unfortunately, I bought some! I'll just give them away!

Lap_dancer:

I am totally ripping off a post of your from a couple of years ago but I thought it was great when I read it!

------------------------------------------

"...In my private practice, I often ask my clients to read Portia

Nelson's "Autobiography in Five Short Chapters", requesting them to

observe which chapter from the five listed best describes where they

find themselves today..."

Chapter 1

I walk down the street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I fall in

I am lost.I am helpless

It isn't my fault.

It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter 2

I walk down the same street.

I pretend I don't see it.

I fall in again.

I can't believe I am in the same place

But, it isn't my fault.

It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 3

I see it is there.

I still fall in.it's a habit.

My eyes are open.

I know where I am.

It is my fault.

I get out immediately.

Chapter 4

I walk around it.

Chapter 5

I walk down another street.

Yes! I remember that one! It's a good one! Lap always has the best posts!

Wow, thank you all so much! Here I am, and here shows my still diminished self esteem, that my posts are stupid and people think I'm flapping my jaws.

*I appreciate knowing they do some benefit*

So I am on this new medication in powder form, paid for rather than free samples in pill form, and that is the only thing changed in the past five days. I'm up five pounds. Can I win? Can I? Geez. 290.

I must believe, I must know, it will only get better.:blushing:

Okay cheerleaders. Where are you?

Wow, thank you all so much! Here I am, and here shows my still diminished self esteem, that my posts are stupid and people think I'm flapping my jaws.

*I appreciate knowing they do some benefit*

So I am on this new medication in powder form, paid for rather than free samples in pill form, and that is the only thing changed in the past five days. I'm up five pounds. Can I win? Can I? Geez. 290.

I must believe, I must know, it will only get better.:cursing:

Okay cheerleaders. Where are you?

YOU Can win :blushing::Dancing_biggrin:Patty!

It's your body getting used to the new medication!

That sucks! BUT it's not going to beat you! You will beat it!

YES!!!

Patty, remember what you already know: any time we put some new foreign substance in our bodies, they "stand firm plus" until the substance becomes familiar. You will be fine...irritated but fine!:cursing:

Well, I am feeling newly committed as the sun is shining and it is 60 degrees. Plus I packed up 5 garbage bags of too-big clothes to give away, and I unpacked several pieces I had stored away from an earlier "commitment" to losing....a commitment I lost. However, I unpacked them this morning, ironed them (an activity I loathe), and hung them all neatly pressed on hangers. Several pieces are for warm weather, so I will have some outfits to take to Palm Springs in March. Now let's hope the pounds start to drop again!:blushing:

What kind of pre-op diet did you have to do? I was just talking with his office, haven't made a firm decision, but some Dr do and some don't require pre-op diets, some of these seem extreme. If I could do a liquid diet for 3 days or a week or I even read 2, I wouldn't need lap-band! LOL What is the norm? PBD

What kind of pre-op diet did you have to do? I was just talking with his office, haven't made a firm decision, but some Dr do and some don't require pre-op diets, some of these seem extreme. If I could do a liquid diet for 3 days or a week or I even read 2, I wouldn't need lap-band! LOL What is the norm? PBD

It's kind of a modified Atkins diet (no white carbs). It's pretty easy. The length of time he has you do it is dependent upon your BMI. I think 2 weeks is kind of the norm. I only lost 3 lbs pre-op but he said that was fine. It was tougher keeping to the diet after surgery. By the time I finally went to solids, I was about to chew off my arm!

PBD, It's actually a very easy diet. I lost 13 lbs on it and it's the 'go to' diet, I use when I hit a plateau! You're just supposed to shrink your liver a tad so that the band can be placed easier.

We're very fortunate with Dr. K. He doesn't require the same stupidness that other docs do! I truly believe some of the bariatric docs require the most unreasonable pre-op diets, so that they can see how serious you are about losing weight. But some of them are just insane... i.e. all Clear Liquids for 2 weeks! Pre-op!!??? I can see clear liquids post-op because it's for a good reason, but pre-op, it's just mean!

Guys!

I'm working nights! ARGH!

Anyway, I did my weekly weigh in yesterday AM because I am working the next three nights and I'll gain Water weight! I lost 4.2 lbs! I have now been working out twice a day for over 2 weeks! AND the weight is just melting off! I'm eating about 1200 cals a day, swimming an hour in the morning and weights for an hour in the afternoon or swimming an hour and riding my bike for 45 mins in the pm on the weight control mode!

The Biggest Loser peeps, work out 5 to 8 hours a day and eat 1200 to 1500 cals. I thought, I'd try at least 2 hours of workouts a day and see if it helps!

I gotta staff meeting to attend! In the middle of my sleep time! It's like asking day shift to come in at 4am for a meeting! No respect for night shift! It sucks!

Ladies, do any of you like edamame? It's very yummy, and so high in Protein that I have been on the lookout for recipes. Well, I saw this on food Network and it is SO good! I highly recommend you try it if you enjoy edamame as a high protein snack or meal! :tt2:

I used frozen edamame and frozen sweet corn kernals, and I nixed the basil. Fabulous!!

Roasted Edamame Salad

Ingredients

• 12 ounces fresh or frozen shelled edamame, about 2 cups
  • 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels, about 2 ears of corn
  • 1/4 cup finely diced scallion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the edamame, corn, scallion, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper into a 13 by 9 metal pan and stir to combine. Place on the middle rack of the oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, just until the edamame begins to brown. Remove from the oven and place in the refrigerator until completely cool, approximately 30 minutes.

Add the Tomato, basil and vinegar to the edamame mixture and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Ladies, do any of you like edamame? It's very yummy, and so high in Protein that I have been on the lookout for recipes. Well, I saw this on food Network and it is SO good! I highly recommend you try it if you enjoy edamame as a high protein snack or meal! :tt2:

I used frozen edamame and frozen sweet corn kernals, and I nixed the basil. Fabulous!!

Roasted Edamame Salad

Ingredients

• 12 ounces fresh or frozen shelled edamame, about 2 cups
  • 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels, about 2 ears of corn
  • 1/4 cup finely diced scallion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the edamame, corn, scallion, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper into a 13 by 9 metal pan and stir to combine. Place on the middle rack of the oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, just until the edamame begins to brown. Remove from the oven and place in the refrigerator until completely cool, approximately 30 minutes.

Add the Tomato, basil and vinegar to the edamame mixture and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Jaime, this sounds fantastic! I LOVE edamame. I've made a salad that has edamame and jicame and it's really good too, but this sounds better.

So I made a BIG BAND MISTAKE today. I have been sick all week and had to go teach my classes today so I was searching around the house for some multi-symptom cold medicine. All I could find was Alka Seltzer Cold and Flu. Fine, I thought, plop plop fizz fizz and I chugged it all down. Didn't think about the fact that it is HIGHLY carbonated. I have been in so much pain all day I can't beleive it. It's like the worst gas under my ribs that I've ever had. I can't even take a decent breath. I've been taking gas-x strips and it's starting to help a little but it has been one miserable day. Guess I won't be cheating with soda or beer anytime soon.

I think part of the problem is that I had just eaten. I think the liquid went past the food into my "big" tummy but then I couldn't burp cuz my "little" tummy was full of food. I don't know. But it has been miserable. There was an hour or so when I really thought I was having a heart attack or something. BLAH!!!!

I love edamame!!! But I've never had it that way! I get it at costco and just do it in the oven! It's so good and so good for you!

Thanks for the recipe!

Jaime, this sounds fantastic! I LOVE edamame. I've made a salad that has edamame and jicame and it's really good too, but this sounds better.

So I made a BIG BAND MISTAKE today. I have been sick all week and had to go teach my classes today so I was searching around the house for some multi-symptom cold medicine. All I could find was Alka Seltzer Cold and Flu. Fine, I thought, plop plop fizz fizz and I chugged it all down. Didn't think about the fact that it is HIGHLY carbonated. I have been in so much pain all day I can't beleive it. It's like the worst gas under my ribs that I've ever had. I can't even take a decent breath. I've been taking gas-x strips and it's starting to help a little but it has been one miserable day. Guess I won't be cheating with soda or beer anytime soon.

I think part of the problem is that I had just eaten. I think the liquid went past the food into my "big" tummy but then I couldn't burp cuz my "little" tummy was full of food. I don't know. But it has been miserable. There was an hour or so when I really thought I was having a heart attack or something. BLAH!!!!

Oh my Goodness Mini! I would have probably done the same thing! I would have thought, "liquid good" -- but not thought "carbonation bad"

I hope you feel better soon!!!

Oh my Goodness Mini! I would have probably done the same thing! I would have thought, "liquid good" -- but not thought "carbonation bad"

I hope you feel better soon!!!

Me too. We're heading to Mexico Saturday morning and I really want to feel better.

Hey, good job on your weight this week! Woohoo!!