Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve or Plication? Scared to death and nervous.

I'm 41 years old and I have battled my weight since age 5. As a teenager' date=' I went to fat camp many summers (I lost in summer, but gained it back). I'm 6'2'' tall. At age 25 is was 200lbs. Age 30: 235lbs. Age 40: 260 pounds. Now, I'm two months shy of age 42, I'm at 270. The problem is, I'm always hungry and diets are hell. I was around 185lbs from age 18-21, but I had to do aerobic exercise at least 45 min a day and diet like hell all the time. The moment I stopped dieting or exercising I gained weight.

My best friend (who has always had natural six pack abs) calls me insane for wanting this done, and tells me workout/hit the gym, but he has no idea what it's like to wage a 37 year weight loss battle (i used to go to the gym, but I admit I've sort of given up).

What I'm most freaked out about is the irreversibility of this surgery. I read one post (somewhere) where it basically ruined a woman's life (gave her all sorts of health issues and illnesses she never had before the surgery). I don't want to be that one in a thousand people whose life is ruined by this.

In January of 2012, I did go to Mexicali and met with Dr. Aceves. I also met with Dr. Oritz (obesity control) and another doctor in T.J. whose name I don't recall, but it was a scary place. I was seriously considering doing it, but but chickened out and decided I would mount one last offensive and lose some weight (now I'm 10 pounds heavier).

I've been looking at the sleeve and plication and tend to think the plication is safer, but it's so untested (and what about ghrelin?) Has anyone out there come across any information that led you to choose the sleeve over plication. Please let me know - and any other words of advice would be welcome and appreciated. Thank you, Daniel[/quote']

I asked my Doctor about that and he got very upset that there's doctors doing that procedure! He was very adamant about me not doing that. He said it was very irresponsible of physicians to do this to people. He also begged me to tell anyone considering this, to NOT Do IT!! So here you are and I've just told you. God bless and go with the sleeve instead. Oh and go with a different doctor too.

I asked my Doctor about that and he got very upset that there's doctors doing that procedure! He was very adamant about me not doing that. He said it was very irresponsible of physicians to do this to people. He also begged me to tell anyone considering this, to NOT Do IT!! So here you are and I've just told you. God bless and go with the sleeve instead. Oh and go with a different doctor too.

Thanks. I think i've ruled out the plication - just too many unknowns. Thank you.

If you guys read my reply at all no where was I dissing sleeve patients, rather those that do not have the plication and think they know everything about it. So unless you are a surgeon who has experience in performing the surgery your info is at best a guess or here say. Also I never said I would want to reverse my plication, but rather keep my whole stomach in case I need it lol. Which is another long personal story that I don't need to go into, it has to do with my medical history. My reply was to the op who asked about both procedures. I explained my opinion about my surgery, why don't you guys spend your time discussing the pros and cons Of your surgery as opposed to dissing other people's procedures

I'm looking at both, and the plication is reversible, but only for a certain time frame, I can look for the journal I was reading but I remember it being around 6 weeks.

Don't know about plication but I can tell you that the sleeve has been unbelievable for me in under 2 months. For me it really came down to losing weight permanently or having my weight take care of me permanently.

I have lost 43 pounds in 7 weeks with another 25 or so before the surgery. I have had no side effects or pain and don't expect any at this point. I know it is different for everyone but mine went extremely smooth. The only issue I had was needing fluids that next day after surgery due to not being able to hydrate. After the IV, I was on the Las Vegas strip all weekend.

It is a difficult decision that I struggled with for well over a year and I had already narrowed it down to the sleeve at that point. I would encourage you to take your time and create a pro's and con's list.

I must have done that at least 20 times before committing.

With all that said, I will say that I wish I had done this 10 years ago. But I wasn't ready then and I was 7 weeks ago.

Best of luck. You will know what and when it is right.