Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IF He Did It?????

Hence why I said "not guilty." :( It's definitely a sketchy situation, and I'm not convinced that he had nothing to do with it. But from my cursory investigation, it appears that he got sent to death row for having an affair. I believe the prosecutor even said in his closing argument that he didn't have to prove to the jury how or when Peterson did it, just that he did. To me, the how and where are pretty entrenched in the act. One of the defense's major lines of reasoning in the appeal is that the case went from the state having the burden of proof to the defense being forced to prove that he DIDN'T do it. Say what you will about him as a person (and I'll whole-heartedly agree), but it looks like he didn't get a fair shake procedurally.

Since I started the OJ thread, I don't think anyone can yell at me for highjacking it. I just have to say that I am way too skeptical to swallow a lot of "just coincidence" crap. His wife's body washed up in the same area where he admittedly spent time on the day she disappeared. Coincidence?

He told Amber Frey BEFORE Laci disappeared that his wife had died.

Coincidence?

The police found hair that matched Laci's in the boat, although it was a new boat and no one else had seen or heard of her ever being in it.

Coincidence?

He had injuries to his hand and there was blood on the door panel of his truck.

Coincidence?

Scott Peterson had motive, means, and opportunity. Who else wanted Laci dead? No one. At one time he claimed to believe someone had abducted her for the baby, but there was no evidence that any attempt had been made to remove the child from it's mother's womb.

I think he's guilty as sin. I think he murdered his wife and unborn child in cold blood. I think Scott Peterson is the scum of the earth.

If I were a member of the black race, I would be ashamed to claim him.

Are we not all "members" of society?

Of course we are. You are quoting me out of context. Nathalie called the OJ-is-a-pig frenzy a "racial issue". I was simply stating that if I were a black person, I would not be defending OJ Simpson. I would be ashamed to be grouped with him in any respect whatsoever.

In regard to the coincidences, the Peterson jurors were instructed that where two reasonable explanations existed, they were to accept the explanation that pointed to non-guilt (because the state has the burden of proof).

A lot of answers to your questions can be found on Scott's family's website here -

http://www.scottpetersonappeal.org/Newsletters.html

But I'll try to explain based on my recently-gleaned information.

1. Dumping the body where he was fishing that day. First, I think it's pretty unlikely that Scott would lead the police to where he had dumped the bodies. I think it is more likely that the bodies were placed in that location after Scott had revealed his whereabouts. Also, the defense produced a re-enactment video showing that attempting to dump a 150-lb. body off that little boat would have caused it to capsize. The video was not admitted into evidence. The prosecution introduced a video which was admitted showing a living pregnant woman curling herself up into a ball and climbing into the boat to show that Laci would have fit. Except that Laci was supposedly already dead when she was placed into the boat, rigor mortis had likely set in, and the killer didn't have the advantage of a living woman being able to twist and turn to fit into a compact space.

2. He told Amber that Laci was dead. Score 1 for Carlene...but I just think this points to his character (or lack thereof). I am not proud to say that I have "killed" my grandma to get out of taking an exam in college. But should that statement be used against me in her murder trial?

3. The hair. I don't know any details about the hair. But I would like to take this opportunity to offer a general insight into hair analysis. Old hair analysis has been proven to be junk science, and resulted in the wrongful conviction of many innocent people. Unless the root of the hair found was DNA tested, then I have doubts.

4. Injuries to Scott's hand. Scott was at his warehouse earlier in the day putting together some sort of equipment and cut his hand. Again, there are two reasonable explanations for a bloody hand, and one supports a not-guilty verdict.

I really urge anyone with a strong opinion on this case, or any case for that matter, to do some outside research. I personally think media accounts tend to be biased and one-sided and can result in unfair outcomes.

Of course we are. You are quoting me out of context. Nathalie called the OJ-is-a-pig frenzy a "racial issue". I was simply stating that if I were a black person, I would not be defending OJ Simpson. I would be ashamed to be grouped with him in any respect whatsoever.

Carlene -

What I said was: So why are so many people still calling him murderer? I think it's all based on the issue of race, personally.

MEANING that when the verdict was read the images that were broadcast were predominately black people celebrating and white people protesting. Polls have shown that more minorities believe OJ is not guilty and more whites believe he is innocent.

In this thread you have defined blacks in a negative light, made statements about blacks "making a difference" in their community, being a "credit" to their race, "acting black," blacks being "ashamed to claim" other blacks, and inferred that all blacks are "grouped" together.

OJ Simpson isn't black except in the broadest sense - the color of his skin. If I were a member of the black race, I would be ashamed to claim him. "Issue of race" my happy ass....unless you're saying that all black people are insensitive, no class, publicity-seeking, do-anything-for-money, celebrity whores. Wait....that would make Paris Hilton black, wouldn't it? Oh, well....if the shoe fits...

OJ Simpson has never done anything to further the cause of African Americans. He did not use his celebrity status to make a difference in the black community, (like Bill Cosby, for example).

I said that Simpson was not a credit to his race, and he isn't.

It's not about acting black...it's about acting like a decent human being, for heaven's sake.

I was simply stating that if I were a black person, I would not be defending OJ Simpson. I would be ashamed to be grouped with him in any respect whatsoever.

Suffice it to say, we think differently. Not only about this case, but about race matters in general. I believe that all people are equal and that whatever the color a person's skin, it's is not an indication of his or her self worth.

Collectively your statements make me sad that people in the world still think this way. I don't know if you're just emotional abuot this situation and expressing yourself poorly, but each time you try to explain yourself you say something else that seems to underscore your previous posts. It makes me very, very sad. Only you know what's in your heart, and maybe reading your posts will help you to re-think your views of people in this world. God bless you.

I absolutely would tell the police the truth about my whereabouts on Dec 24th, if I were Scott and had dumped my wife's body in the bay. Why? In case someone saw me. The worst case scenario, for a murderer, would be having your alibi blown out of the Water.

The Amber tapes are compelling evidence, to me. Laci disappeared on Dec 24th and Scott continued to have tender, romantic conversations with his girlfriend, telling her he was in Paris and droning on about how much he missed her, throughout those early days when everyone else was frantically searching for Laci. That's just not normal. Maybe you wouldn't tell your lover the whole truth, but would you be saying, "You know, in my mind, we could be wonderful together. I could care for you in any and every way", when your wife has just been abducted? For TWO WEEKS? Please. On Scott's family's web site it says that Amber initiated every one of those calls, but Amber swore she did not, and the transcripts bear her out.

I'm also not buying Scott's testimony that Laci knew all about his affair with Amber and that she was "fine with it". I don't think I have ever known a woman 8 months pregnant who would be "fine" on discovering that her husband was having an affair with a massage "therapist". I would not be "fine", nor would my husband, when I got through with him.

OJ Simpson isn't black except in the broadest sense - the color of his skin. If I were a member of the black race, I would be ashamed to claim him. "Issue of race" my happy ass....unless you're saying that all black people are insensitive, no class, publicity-seeking, do-anything-for-money, celebrity whores. Wait....that would make Paris Hilton black, wouldn't it? Oh, well....if the shoe fits...

OJ Simpson has never done anything to further the cause of African Americans. He did not use his celebrity status to make a difference in the black community, (like Bill Cosby, for example).

It's not about acting black...it's about acting like a decent human being, for heaven's sake.

I was simply stating that if I were a black person, I would not be defending OJ Simpson. I would be ashamed to be grouped with him in any respect whatsoever.

We certainly do think differently. I think, first of all, that your doctored-up "quotes" are about the most blatant misrepresentation of the written word that I have ever seen in my life, and deliberately inflammatory, to boot. Think what you like; I don't care. I am not nor have I ever been a racist.

If you are going to argue a point, that's fine. But don't stoop to dirty tricks. It cheapens your position and nullifies any intelligent thing you might have to say.

Hijack: anyone read Amber Frey's book? I did, it tells a ton about Scott. When he was arrested he had google directions to Amber's new job and in the trunk were a tarp, rope, huge knife. Who do you think was next? ~Mandy

We certainly do think differently. I think, first of all, that your doctored-up "quotes" are about the most blatant misrepresentation of the written word that I have ever seen in my life, and deliberately inflammatory, to boot. Think what you like; I don't care. I am not nor have I ever been a racist.

If you are going to argue a point, that's fine. But don't stoop to dirty tricks. It cheapens your position and nullifies any intelligent thing you might have to say.

Carlene -

Show me where I typed one single thing that you didn't say in your previous posts. All of your words are there in black and white (no pun intended). I doctored nothing. I cut and pasted, then highlighted the parts that I referred to in the third paragraph of my post.

I also didn't call you a racist. I didn't call you any names at all. I didn't infer you are a racist or a bigot. I didn't pull any "dirty tricks." As I said, I cut and pasted your posts verbatim, and I highlighted the sections that I found distasteful/unnecessary. I'm sorry if that upset you. It was not my intention to be inflammatory or to make you feel bad about who you are or what you believe.

I would never stoop to calling someone names, even those with whom I disagree.

Nathalie

Carlene -

What I said was: So why are so many people still calling him murderer? I think it's all based on the issue of race, personally.

MEANING that when the verdict was read the images that were broadcast were predominately black people celebrating and white people protesting. Polls have shown that more minorities believe OJ is not guilty and more whites believe he is innocent.

In this thread you have defined blacks in a negative light, made statements about blacks "making a difference" in their community, being a "credit" to their race, "acting black," blacks being "ashamed to claim" other blacks, and inferred that all blacks are "grouped" together.

Suffice it to say, we think differently. Not only about this case, but about race matters in general. I believe that all people are equal and that whatever the color a person's skin, it's is not an indication of his or her self worth.

Collectively your statements make me sad that people in the world still think this way. I don't know if you're just emotional abuot this situation and expressing yourself poorly, but each time you try to explain yourself you say something else that seems to underscore your previous posts. It makes me very, very sad. Only you know what's in your heart, and maybe reading your posts will help you to re-think your views of people in this world. God bless you.

I am just going to ditto everything Nathalie said here. You may not have meant it in the way your statements came across, but that is how they come across. Remember, there is no way to imply meaning through body language or voices through the internet. What you write is what people read. Sometimes, it doesn't read like what you want it to mean.
OJ Simpson isn't black except in the broadest sense - the color of his skin.
This statement basically illustrates what I am getting at. You are implying that someone has to act a certain way to be part of a certain race. So I just want to ask you this: What makes a person "black?" Silly me, I thought it was the color of their skin.

What you write is what people read. Sometimes, it doesn't read like what you want it to mean.

Perhaps not, but how people react to something is their problem, not mine. I explained my post, but evidently neither of you chose to accept my explaination, preferring instead to read something dark and ugly into it, where none was intended.

So I just want to ask you this: What makes a person "black?" Silly me, I thought it was the color of their skin.

What makes a person black (or white or Mexican or Native American) is what's in their heart. It's who they identify with. It's who they honor and care about and emulate. My daughter has a friend who was born in China to Chinese parents, but adopted as a baby by white Americans. Her name is Nicole, ironically enough. She is no more Chinese than the man in the moon, except by the most narrow of definitions - the color of her skin and the shape of her eyes.

In this thread you have defined blacks in a negative light made statements about blacks "making a difference" in their community, being a "credit" to their race, "acting black," blacks being "ashamed to claim" other blacks, and inferred that all blacks are "grouped" together.

How in the world does any of that define black people "in a negative light"? Is there something WRONG with making a difference in one's community? Is it a BAD thing to be a credit to one's race? What if I say that someone is "a credit to his raising"...one of my mother's favorite expressions? Does that also have some negative connotation? And for the record, the "acting black" comment did not originate with me.

No. What makes a person black or white or Mexican or Native American has absolutely nothing to do with what is in their heart. What is in their heart makes them a good or bad person, and that has nothing at all to do with race or nationality.

Let me try to put it this way: Two people were born and live in Texas. One is a dyed in the wool Republican, wears a cowboy hat and boots, roots for A&M, etc. Another is a Democrat, plays golf, and never wore a cowboy hat in his life. Which one is the true Texan? One may be the stereotypical Texan, but it doesn't change the fact that the other is also a Texan. The way someone acts does not change what or who they are, in regards to nationality or race.

Is it a BAD thing to be a credit to one's race?
It implies that one's race is, as a whole, not credit-worthy. Go ask someone of color on the board. Ask them if they would be offended if a white person came up to them and told them, "It's great that you are volunteering at the homeless shelter. You are a credit to the black (or hispanic or Middle-Eastern) race, you know." It implies that most people of that race would not do that.

Another thing I just thought of:

It doesn't matter whether YOU think that what you are saying isn't offensive. What matters is the reaction of the people you are saying it to. If they find it offensive, it is by that standard, offensive.

Carlene - I don't think its fair to Paris Hilton to group her with murderers. She makes millions, she has a tv reality show, perfumes, and Lord knows what all else. And why does she do it? Because she's a born busines woman. Whats wrong with a woman wanting to capitalize? Do you think the same of Donald Trump? Or is it ok for men to want to make money but not women? Maybe its the fact that her ex-boyfriend published private tapes, but there again, I don't think the fact that she had sex with her boyfriend makes her a villain.

Carlene, as a raiser of chickens, I want you to know that you have offended my flock by comparing OJ Simpson to their shit. It will not matter to me how many times you explain yourself or how ridiculous my outcries may be, my chickens remain offended and demand an immediate, groveling apology.