Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So afraid I am not going to be successful and do this right......

I was just sleeved on the 12th and have started eating soft foods. I find myself eating too fast and too much. I only had a 2.2 lb weight loss for my 2nd week post-surgery (lost 8 lbs the first week). I am so afraid that I am not going to be successful and I am just feeling afraid. Anyone got any suggestions??

What have you done right? there must be plenty of good things in this category to focus on. A 2 pound loss is awesome! That means you probably didn't lose any muscle just FAT. 2 pound of fat GONE FOREVER! Keep up the good work. Maybe next week it will be more and the week after that less. Who knows...You can't control that. so there is no need to worry or be afraid. if you continue to work on eating more slowly pretty soon you will be eating more slowly. If you continue to watch your portions then you will soon make eating smaller portions slower your habit. Just practice it and don't expect perfection.

Focus on your successes and give yourself a little grace. You got this! :)

first, cut yourself some slack. you are relearning to eat and that is difficult to say the least! To help you slow down eating, set a timer for 2 min, and allow yourself a bite of food every 2 min. it may seem like a pain, but until you get used to eating slower it will help. remember to take small bites and chew very well, this will also help you slow down. I used to eat to fast and to much, and it felt awful, but i am finally figuring out how to eat slowly and when I am full. It takes time, but you'll figure it out!

We have all felt that way. Follow your eating plan outlined by your dr and/or nutritionist. You will learn what works the best for you as you gain a little experience with this. It is a whole new way of life and you don't wake up from surgery knowing exactly what you need to do. I eventually learned what foods I lost weight best with, and those I didn't. You will be successful, keep telling yourself that, you can do it.

Learning to eat slow is the worst! Sometimes I'll take a couple of bites and then remember I'm supposed to eat slowly. Cramming it down your whole life is not a habit that is easily broken and how true it is that no one wakes up from surgery knowing exactly what to do. To be honest, this adjustment is way harder than I thought it would be but I'm managing one day at a time. You are doing great - just stay the course.

I practiced eating slowly leading up to my surgery so I would not have issues. We are all trained to finish eating quickly due to work, or other factors. However,I was out and running late and messed up. Trust me post-op if you eat to quickly, your sleeve will revolt and you won't want to do it again. Between the stuck feeling and the trapped gas pain and inability to speak, you'll eat slowly the next time. In terms of not doing the right thing, I think we all deal with those feelings. Stay the course and reach out to your support team and this forum for advice. Good luck to you.