Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In hospital need help

Thanx :-) I hope I feel better soon

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thanx everbody for the advice. My swallow/ leak test went good. They are letting me eat ice chips and they switched me to hydro co done. Thought I was gonna loose it after I swallowed the pill but I took some deep breathes and calmed myself down. Man this is tougher than I thought it would be. Dr told me today I have to keep the drain in for two weeks :-/ today was one of those what the hell were you thinking kinda days!

Glad your leak test went good! WOW 2 weeks for that drain Dr. didn't mentioned that at last appointment :/.... Hope you are feeling a little better this evening, get some rest and sending you some good positive mojo. :)

Glad you are feeling better. And super glad the leak test was good. I'm hoping I can remember all the words of advice people are giving you if I have tough times! Hopefully tommorrow will be a glad you did it day!

Thanx I could really use it. Rough day today. Stomach keeps "clamping down" cramping Ugh! Not fun. And you can't get any sleep in the hospital!

I was sleeved on Wed. 3-20 and each day gets easier. The first 3 days were really bad for me. I cried and had the same thought of WTF did I do to myself?! I had to stay in the hospital for an extra day because I couldn't even swallow a small sip of anything. On Friday the nurses were really pushing the liquid pain meds because I was supposed to be discharged that day. I ended up breaking down in sobs and begged them to continue my pain and nausea meds thru my IV. My surgeon came in a little later and said what I was experiencing was normal and then the nurses backed off some. Saturday I could swallow my meds so I was discharged. I was walking a lot while in the hospital, too because with all the fluids they were pumping into me I literally had to pee every 30 minutes and with all the IVs it was such a pain to get out of bed so I figured while I was up why not walk? Being in your own home makes a big difference in your recovery! I'm 6 days out and showered and went to Dr. for post-op appt. and even stopped at the store to get some other meds and it wasn't too terrible! Hang in there! :)

Also request an abdominal binder from one of the nurses. I got one Friday in the middle of the night and it made a world of difference!

I am the rare breed of VSG patient who takes ibuprofen. I had a hard night post op. Was in hospital two days getting surgical pain (not gas pain) managed. Once they knew I was not going to bleed, they started ibuprofen.

Tylenol and narcotics do not work for my postoperative pain. I was high as a kite, and in too much pain until they started ibuprofen. First IV then tablet. Then Loratab and Norco had a fighting chance of working.

Once IB started, I was sipping away, walking and ready to d/c within four hours.

I will echo what everyone else has said. The first few days can be rough. Walk as much as you can. The pain meds are probably contributing to your nausea. I was not able to drink much at all the first week. It gets much easier Hang in there!

Thank you so much everybody! Today I'm feeling better than yesterday and I get to go home. I can't wait to get off this dang IV I have never peed so much in my life! And I'm happy they didn't give me a catheter I always get bladder infections with them. Well I can say this was like nothing else I have ever experienced. But reading everybody's suggestions and support really helped me pull through yesterday. Thanx you all for getting me through this :-)

Guess I'm have the why did I do this kinda day. Im miserable! Haven't eaten in two days. And I'm in pain. When I take my pain med through my iv my stomach just cramps up and it hurts . So I have not taken any pain

Meds since 4 this morning. I got horrible gas pains in my shoulder. And now the nausea is kicking in. Anybody have any advice that can help me????

The nausea with this surgery is bad... After 24 hours mine got better, but I noticed every time they gave me reglan in my iv I'd dry heave within seconds... Watch that and see if it's that that's making you so sick

I had my VSG 3/20/13, so today is day 8. My Dr. Told me there would be some nausea but I was totally unprepared for the extent and intensity of the nausea that I experienced. On top of that I had a hospital roommate who had no food restriction and tons of company who kept bringing in food. The smell of the food and even coffee that they brought her put me over the edge. I spent most of my time in the bathroom hugging the bowl with dry heaves even to the point of rupturing blood vessels in my eyes. The Dr. Did not want to release me because I was not able to take any nourishment but he finally relented. Once home I took the anti- nausea meds and was able to relax more which helped the pain, which for me was secondary. I woke the next morning still with a little nausea but so much better. By day 4 it was gone. I still have some sharp gas pains at times but so much more bearable without the nausea. Hang in there it will get better.

I had my VSG 3/20/13' date=' so today is day 8. My Dr. Told me there would be some nausea but I was totally unprepared for the extent and intensity of the nausea that I experienced. On top of that I had a hospital roommate who had no food restriction and tons of company who kept bringing in food. The smell of the food and even coffee that they brought her put me over the edge. I spent most of my time in the bathroom hugging the bowl with dry heaves even to the point of rupturing blood vessels in my eyes. The Dr. Did not want to release me because I was not able to take any nourishment but he finally relented. Once home I took the anti- nausea meds and was able to relax more which helped the pain, which for me was secondary. I woke the next morning still with a little nausea but so much better. By day 4 it was gone. I still have some sharp gas pains at times but so much more bearable without the nausea. Hang in there it will get better.[/quote']

I'm doing better nausea wise today. I know exactly how you feel my neighbors at the hospital brought in Chinese and Taco Bell. I thought I was gonna die from the smell. I put a pillow over my face till they were gone!