Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise and Excess Skin

Hi, Just wonderin about exercise and excess skin. Its a concern of mine even though I havent had surgery yet.

So, for those of you that did exercise/weight train, did you have alot of excess skin?

What about those that didnt workout?

I know there are alot of other factors like age, weight, etc.. But I'd like to do my best to prevent it as much as I could.

If any of you have any other tips and tricks, please let me know!

I've been making sure I got my Vitamins and Protein daily, using Neutrogena body oil, dry brushing (infrequently), and avoiding tanning since surgery. My excess skin is pretty much limited to my abdomen and upper thighs. I'm not at goal yet, although I've lost 120+ pounds and I have had a plastics consult (2 actually). I have about 10-15 pounds of excess skin, depending on which doctor you believe. I have also been an avid gym rat, doing cardio and weights to help tone things. My plastics doc says there isn't a lot you can do to avoid the skin, although he has encouraged me to keep doing all of the above things because they will help in the long run. A lot of skin issues depend on you... your genetics, your age, how overweight you are now, and if you've already had issues (C-sections, abdominal surgery). It's still better to have excess skin than skin that's full of fat. :) At least, that's my opinion. I'll take the excess skin that I have to deal with over the 120 pounds I've lost all day long! :)

I'm a little older, but I have not had any problem with excess skin. I feel the biggest reasons are that I haven't lost as much weight as most sleevers and that I weight train/lift regularly.

Thanks! I'm gonna start working on my triceps and thighs.. well my whole body.

I was working out last yr and I can still feel biceps under there. So I'm hoping to gain muscle as I'm losing even of its atva slower pace. Now all I need is a surgery date!

Congrats on ur success!

Oh Wild, I just realized you're in Fl too. Im near Ft Laud/Miami. Were you happy with your surgeon?

I'm a little older' date=' but I have not had any problem with excess skin. I feel the biggest reasons are that I haven't lost as much weight as most sleevers and that I weight train/lift regularly.[/quote']

Yes, lots of skin. I worked out bf surgery... weights and cardio and have worked out ever since surgery. I do a lot of weights and cardio and there is still skin. I do have a lot of muscle and the skin just hangs over the muscle. Because of the muscle I weigh more but wear a smaller size, and would even be a size smaller if I didn't have the skin. The skin gets in the way when I am working out and I can't stand it. I wear spanks all the time but the skin is still in the way. I have a consult for plastics next week to see how much it will cost for it to be removed.

I am 40 and have had 3 children, I was overweight for 15 years and before that was always thin.

Even though I have loose skin, I will take it any day over being fat. I don't like it but it's much better than being fat and uncomfortable!

Sarsar hope you're consult goes well!

I'm 34 with no kids. I've always been fat but probably the biggest within the last 10yrs.

So I'm thinking I probably will have an issue. Oh well.

Today is my first meeting with the surgeon!

Exercise tones muscle, and unfortunately won't tone skin if it's stretched. Skin may or may not be elastic, depending on age, genetics, how much overweight and for how long, etc. I already know I'm looking at reconstructive surgery in my future. 50 years old, 3 C-sections, and overweight for 25 years is a pretty sure bet I don't have any elasticity left. Having said that - exercise is still so worth it! It makes me feel better, stronger, and is a great stress manager.

Exercise tones muscle, and unfortunately won't tone skin if it's stretched. Skin may or may not be elastic, depending on age, genetics, how much overweight and for how long, etc. I already know I'm looking at reconstructive surgery in my future. 50 years old, 3 C-sections, and overweight for 25 years is a pretty sure bet I don't have any elasticity left. Having said that - exercise is still so worth it! It makes me feel better, stronger, and is a great stress manager.

But muscle can help fill in under loose skin to where it's not as saggy, but only to a certain extent. If loose skin is just a small problem, building muscle underneath it can help, but if there is lots of saggy skin, muscle underneath it will help out only a little to fill it in since it's not really easy or do-able to pack on large slabs of muscle.

I have some loose skin - most apparent on lower abdomen and inner thighs, have a bit of bat wing too but it isn't too bad. I need to do more resistance/lifting and have been doing aqua aerobics a few hours a week. It seems to continually be changing - like a lot of vsg veterans say - give it time, and it gets better. I can see this to be true for myself so far.

I can see some plastics in my future - maybe someday we will be able to afford something like that.

Even at 5'3", 48 years old with 178-200 excess lbs of weight on me for many years - it isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be by any stretch (haha) of the imagination. Even with a bit of fat left all over, I can still see lots of muscle definition.

Thanks! I've seen some bad pics and I'm worried. But hopefully it wont be as bad as I'm imagining. ... which is staying the exact same size with excess skin. Lol

Xine78 who is your surgeon?

I'm going to Dr Wizman. Was gonna use Dr cohen but I couldnt afford him. My surgery is may 6!

Cool good luck!! I checked dr.wizman out but decided to go with dr.munoz at university of Miami! My date is may 21st.