Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I pack my leftovers in baggies, squish them flat and freeze. I use the ice cube trays for broth and juices.

Lynda

Wow, what a story. I know anyone with a weight problem can appreciate your story. Sassy, you are an amazing woman and despite the obstacles I know you are on the road to a better life for yourself!!!!!! I personally am touched by your story. Prayer and God's Grace on you as you keep going day by day.

Linda,

That is so sweet of you to say what you did. I don't see myself as special ... just another sleever who's had her fair share of struggles ... still having. It helps when others share their wisdom ... makes this journey so much easier.

I might be the youngest...May 1964. I'm pre-op, planning to be sleeved in June. I'm excited & nervous, but I'm already thinking about my 50th birthday next year when I will be 11 months post-op. I want to Celebrate by doing something physical that would not be possible this year when I turn 49. I'm not sure what yet...maybe salsa lessons? Zip lining? I don't know...any other suggestions?

I did zip lining and bought the t-shirt- it rocks. Lol!

I would love to go ziplining without the fear the line is going to break! Surgery Dec10, zip line on June 10th, 2014!

Glad you have that surgery date down Dema! Think I will forego the zipline, but surgery one week ago today and I spent the entire day shopping. I am tired but it is a happy tired, not so exhausted from feeling fat and even though I don't think I have broken any records in losing weight, I still feel good and feel lighter. I have been so sluggish for so long.......dragging around feeling down in the dumps. I am even thanking my blessings for Thanksgiving, and looking forward to eating some pureed food or Soup. Planning to fix my husband some veggies and shakes as his surgery is Monday December 2. Happy early Thanksgiving everyone, Linda

Oh, Linda...I am so happy to hear you are feeling so well. Today my husband told me he wants to have a party for his tennis team on the 14th..,just four days after surgery. Not a fan of that idea. But we finally compromised on the 21st. I should be feeling pretty good by then, I'm guessing. Four days seemed just a bit too soon. Your Thanksgiving plan sounds perfect. I'm the turkey and veggie girl, too. Keep posting about your progress..my pre op visit with my surgeon and final NUT appointment is tomorrow...then on to pre op diet. I've been doing two shakes a day for a week, but must admit to wine in the evenings.,.tee totaller after tomorrow!

Wow I would be overwhelmed about a party that soon too, but, its his idea so get him busy!! I love to cook and usually go way overboard, never again though. Set up a buffet and relax! They do warn you not to be lifting so keep in mind. I think you will enjoy yourself.

How is everyone else doing? I have not lost a lb in 3 days but it isn't fazing me because I am feeling "lighter" for some crazy reason!

I would love to go ziplining without the fear the line is going to break! Surgery Dec10, zip line on June 10th, 2014!

I never thought of that ... neither zip lining or the line breaking. But it does sound like something I need to put on a bucket list. It will be the first item, since I haven't started one till now. For so long, I stopped even dreaming about what I might do someday. I've been bed-ridden for over a year, mainly because I don't have any furniture I can get up from. That will change soon as I lose weight and buy something new that I can sit on in the living room.

Even though the weight is dropping off, I still have a hard time believing I'm actually going to be thinner. Probably lean and mean, more fitting to my personality. LOL

Is your name Dema? I'd like to know more about you, if you feel like sharing. My real name is Kate, but Cheryl on this site convinced me to use Sassy. Now I'm all over it.

I'm a little over 3 weeks now. Doing pureed foods, trying to add something a little more interesting. That's actually not too difficult because pureed anything is pretty boring. Just to show you what a rebel I am ... and how adventurous ... I had a couple of salt free crackers with butter today! How 'bout that? Ok ... nothing to brag about, but it was a nice change of pace to eat with my 3 oz. of pureed Soup (50 cal.).

Welcome to anyone I missed last time around. This is a unique group that gives us of a "certain age" the opportunity to talk with our contemporaries or peers.

Congrats to Cindy and others who are on the losers bench and proud to share their weight loss stats. It helps those of us who are new to believe that if it can happen to you, it can happen to us.

I don't have a scale and don't know when I'll get one, so I have no idea what I weigh. The main reason I don't have a scale is because I carry my weight in my legs and haven't found a scale I think I can stand on.

I'm an in the middle boomer (1954) and would have joined sooner if I had seen this group. Sleeve surgery 6 months ago, down 59 lbs, co-morbidities resolved and I feel fantastic!

Wow, what a story. I know anyone with a weight problem can appreciate your story. It seems when I turned fifty I started losing the battle I fought my entire life. And more pounds kept piling off, lose a few, gain more. No matter what we weigh when we are overweight, I personally feel we have a horrible self-image. And circumstances can be beyond our control when it comes to getting help sometimes. Sassy, you are an amazing woman and despite the obstacles I know you are on the road to a better life for yourself!!!!!! I personally am touched by your story. Prayer and God's Grace on you as you keep going day by day. That blender will be a wonderful thing for you. Not knowing what you have in your pantry it is hard to give you ideas for blending, but even if you are using the instant shakes I have read where people add a few shakes of dry sugar free instant pudding. Throw in a few ice cubes and it is a tasty shake. I am not on fruit yet, but my husband is allowed because of the diabetes. You can add a vanilla shake, and about a cup of frozen fruit and ice cubes to spice it up. I buy large bags of frozen no sugar added fruit at Walmart and it goes a long way. If you can have fruit. Torani sugar free syrups are in the coffee section at the grocery store. I use these a lot adding about 2 TBSP to a shake plus ice cubes. You can also add a low sugar yogurt to your shake, but I like to save my yogurt for in between eating. I use a lot of broth, and add tiny shakes of sage, and other herbs. Lets start sharing ideas everyone for a wider range of ideas and suggestions. Linda

That's a great idea, Linda. I am relying on cooks like you to give non-cooks like me some good ideas on sleever recipes that are fast and easy to make. Your hubby is lucky to have his own personal chef. Can I move in?

As to fruit, "they" say not to do this until later down the road because fruits aren't sleeve friendly. Speaking of Torani syrups, the Kahlua one sounds great. Have you tried it?

Oh, Linda...I am so happy to hear you are feeling so well. Today my husband told me he wants to have a party for his tennis team on the 14th..,just four days after surgery. Not a fan of that idea. But we finally compromised on the 21st. I should be feeling pretty good by then, I'm guessing. Four days seemed just a bit too soon. Your Thanksgiving plan sounds perfect. I'm the turkey and veggie girl, too. Keep posting about your progress..my pre op visit with my surgeon and final NUT appointment is tomorrow...then on to pre op diet. I've been doing two shakes a day for a week, but must admit to wine in the evenings.,.tee totaller after tomorrow!

Slap your hubby into shape. If he really thinks you'll be up to giving a party four days after surgery, someone needs a reality check.

Hope your pre-op visit goes well. I actually had two pre-ops because at the first one, my surgery had to be postponed because I was still taking nsaids. Didn't know I was supposed to stop before surgery. Hope everything is a go for you!

I did zip lining and bought the t-shirt- it rocks. Lol!

Ok, we need a few more details. Where and when? ... and who else was with you?

Sassy, I was thinking about you last night and glad to hear everything is going well. I agree with you that Dema's husband needs a reality check that you are having SURGERY Dema! I have my hands full with my husband's blood sugar and blood pressure.......Almost thankful we are taking this journey together to be on the same track the rest of our lives. I am almost obsessive about him, moreso since I retired a year ago but too many late night calls to Rescue with him unconscious has apparently made me bonkers. If he can come off insulin and all this medicine maybe I can relax.

Wishing you all happier times and continued good health, Linda

GASTRIC BYPASS HAS A HISTORY OF STOPPING DIABETES

Linda,

I never thought I would utter these words, but have you considered a gastric bypass for your husband? The only reason I recommend it is because there is a good chance that this operation can put an indefinite hold on his diabetes.

The Sleeve may do this, but there are no guarantees. However with the bypass, it is just as likely to halt Diabetes in its tracks as to not. If you haven't looked into this, you might want to ... even at this late date.

I have diabetes and was hoping something miraculous would happen on my day of surgery, but it didn't. Of course, my sugars are much lower now because I'm not eating. But that's the only reason. My surgeon, who doesn't guarantee anything, strongly urged me to do this. But since my diabetes was not that bad, and has always been under control, I rejected the idea.

Think about it.

Best of caring wishes your way.

Sassy

Sassy, thanks for the post! 15 years ago my niece had a gastric bypass, and one of my husband's dear friends had his 10 years ago. We have been attending seminars for many years. Our insurance would not pay for my husband, and his friend self paid, $25,000 in Georgia. We considered that, but my husband is too practical and worried about the consequences of future insurance problems. We both got on Medicare January 1 of this year, and with my weight creeping out of control with more health problems, we decided to do this together. He rejected the idea of gastric bypass so long ago....despite success stories. He is still not as "happy" as I am to have this surgery, but he knows his life span is more limited if he doesn't. I am just thankful he finally made the decision. Thanks for the suggestion Sassy, I am an open book here.