Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico drs = NO diet pre op?

LOL hello my friend! I'm not going to change drs because of the diet - cancun is first choice BUT if I need to choose a new dr in TJ then pre op diet is important to me - I can't get my head around all you amazing people doing these harder diets?! I feel I don't have any control so that's why I'm here! ... I will continue my research once I've heard back from my friend ~ soon I hope!

Keep in mind too that with a low BMI, your diet may be much shorter than some of the other posters as well. A lot of docs (including mine) make pre-op diet decisions on an individual basis!

That's another problem - I'm on 30 now - what will 3 days not eating do!? What if I'm under and I've flown all the way there! Grrr so many questions. I'm trying to eat all the yummy things now for a back up supply lol

The surgeon will not refuse to operate on you because you got down to 29.5 BMI due to a pre-op diet, you don't need to worry about that :) I have a friend whose pre-op diet was just to eat low carb for a week before the surgery, every surgeon is different and you may as well take the pre-op diet into consideration as just another factor, if you have two surgeons that you trust equally and one has a better pre-op diet, why not? I just wouldn't put too much weight on that factor compared to other things such as patient outcomes and how long they've been doing the surgery, how the hospital is etc. But I do understand your thoughts, I was only flying from Montreal, I can't imagine flying all the way from New Zealand, long flight with no food!

I am a lower BMI patient. I had no pre-op diet only Clear Liquids 24 hrs before. Even with that I thought I would die, but you will survive. Hang in there. You will look back and realize it was really only a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of things. I almost think it would have been better to get use to not eating with a pre-op diet. It felt a bit abrupt for me.

The surgeon will not refuse to operate on you because you got down to 29.5 BMI due to a pre-op diet' date=' you don't need to worry about that :) I have a friend whose pre-op diet was just to eat low carb for a week before the surgery, every surgeon is different and you may as well take the pre-op diet into consideration as just another factor, if you have two surgeons that you trust equally and one has a better pre-op diet, why not? I just wouldn't put too much weight on that factor compared to other things such as patient outcomes and how long they've been doing the surgery, how the hospital is etc. But I do understand your thoughts, I was only flying from Montreal, I can't imagine flying all the way from New Zealand, long flight with no food![/quote']

Imagine smelling 3 meals being served all around you!! Haha I'm an organiser and I'm finding it frustrating waiting for my friend to move on with confirming things - I need a back up plan in place! Dr Garcia sounds like a great dr ill just have to wait and see ????

I am a lower BMI patient. I had no pre-op diet only Clear liquids 24 hrs before. Even with that I thought I would die' date=' but you will survive. Hang in there. You will look back and realize it was really only a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of things. I almost think it would have been better to get use to not eating with a pre-op diet. It felt a bit abrupt for me.[/quote']

24 hours sounds a bit like me! I understand emptying your stomach and with some natural benefiber powder I would feel confident going into surgery - thanks for your support & understanding ????

hi,

I have a little bit higher BMI but my liquid diet will be for 5 days, I may have any flavor broth, sugar free Jello. sugar free ice pops, sugar free juice, crystal light, diet snapple, coffee, tea, with sugar sub, you can add protien powder to just about any of the above my primary care giver here told me to use glursna..the key to thquid diet is low sugar, and low carb.. no solids of any kind. the place I am going to emailed, pre op and post op diets and instructions..

hope this helps.

earthmomma

Why are you so worried about the pre-op diet? It is two shakes a day and a normal meat/salad dinner. If you can't stick to this for 3 days how will you be able to handle the sleeve diet? Just asking

Not everyone has this particular pre-op diet. Mine is liquids, with one Protein shake daily, for one week pre-op. My surgeon requires those with a higher BMI to follow this diet for 2 weeks. Just like with US based doctors, the pre-op diet for Mexico doctors varies greatly.

~Kat

The 3 days prior are not as bad as it sounds by the time it gets here if you have already been on your 2 week Protein diet your stomach will already be used to eating less and with all the Protein you probably won't be hungry I know I wasn't plus I know it can be done I worked up until the day b4 surgery 12hrs a day every day in heavy duty construction and was ok oh and these guys were ordering burgers or Mexican food every day for lunch and eating in front of me while I just had a Protein shake or on the last day a Jello, we have to start getting used to following a strict diet and have to be strong not to fall for temptations

Oh and I was told that one of the reasons why you do 3 days of clears is to make sure you stomach is empty of all solids, so that your recovery is faster and so that your not stressing with Constipation issues after surgery

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I had a 10 day preop diet of two Protein shakes and a lean meat plus salad. I had to start fasting by 7am Sunday for my preop testing later that day.

Once I completed my preop testing I was allowed a regular farewell meal, I think I ate buffalo?!?!?, and a maximum of two adult beverages. I had one.

Amanda Rae

I was only on a 1200 cal diet for a few months before surgery, told to lose 20# which I did. This softened my liver and I was good to go, plus being on a good healthy diet prepped me for after surgery. No clear or full liquids before surgery, just a light meal for dinner, and NPO after midnight. I asked my Dr why so many Drs were diff. He just said diff perceptions. He said by morning your food is out of stomach, so that's not the prob.

I had a 10 day preop diet of two Protein shakes and a lean meat plus salad. I had to start fasting by 7am Sunday for my preop testing later that day.

Once I completed my preop testing I was allowed a regular farewell meal' date=' I think I ate buffalo?!?!?, and a minimum of two adult beverages. I had one.

Amanda Rae[/quote']

As ill be in LA I would love a farewell meal! All those yummy food chains lol so I'm trying to time is so I can at least have some food the day I land ... Then liquids if I must : (

I am low bmi and thought I couldn't handle preop diet. It's not that bad, granted I get a salad every night. So far I've lost 5 pound and now my bmi is 31.2. The dr. Said I would be good and not to worry about getting too low. :) excited! Saturday is the day.

I was only on a 1200 cal diet for a few months before surgery' date=' told to lose 20# which I did. This softened my liver and I was good to go, plus being on a good healthy diet prepped me for after surgery. No clear or full liquids before surgery, just a light meal for dinner, and NPO after midnight. I asked my Dr why so many Drs were diff. He just said diff perceptions. He said by morning your food is out of stomach, so that's not the prob.[/quote']

See this is what confuses me - so many variations?! And you guys who do these week / month long diets I take my hat off to you!!!!!

I've only ever lost weight on diet pills ... I asked if we could for the 3 day liquid diet - it wasn't received well lol

I am low bmi and thought I couldn't handle preop diet. It's not that bad' date=' granted I get a salad every night. So far I've lost 5 pound and now my bmi is 31.2. The dr. Said I would be good and not to worry about getting too low. :) excited! Saturday is the day.[/quote']

I'm glad he said not to worry. The coordinator at alighterme never really answered my worrying about going under 30 - she just said dont watch what u eat she didn't mention any leeway they have ... I'm sure they wouldn't want to miss out on the $5000 lol

Maybe ill get my dr to sign something before I leave nz ... Who knows what 3 days of crystal light will do to me!