Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Mindy, I am from Arizona and have been considering weight loss surgery for over a year. Last year I attended a seminar and picked up a wealth of information, sadly my insurance has a wls exclusion. I began looking into Mexico and researching doctors and am confident with my decision choosing Dr Garcia. I am scheduled for surgery April 13th! Its coming up so fast, Next week I will start my preop diet and am beginning to get nervous. I am traveling by myself much to the dismay of my friends and coworkers. I have been experimenting with Protein powders trying to find one I like, and have weened myself off diet soda completely. This week I have been having a Protein Shake for Breakfast, usually a salad for lunch and a light dinner to ease my transition into preop diet and not going into carb withdraw!. I have a bunch of silly concerns and wondered if anyone had any input.

I am going by myself and have saved up enough money for first class so I'll be more comfortable, San Diego is only a short flight, but I like my space.

At the airport after surgery anyone have issues taking off shoes, bending down to get them, or lifting luggage?

I want to be proactive at preventing infection what soap/ointments did you take with you for wound care, what do you use at home, and how often?

A little TMI question here, but did anyone have issues using the restroom by themselves postop in mexico? I am def a hefty girl and would die if I cannot take care of myself. I have considered getting one of those wands that hold tp to assist, but I think I would die of embarassment.

I work retail long days on concrete floors, plus the weight, plus family history has left me with bad varicose veins, has anyone had a dr concerned with increased risk for clots from having varicose veins?

Any tips on how to stay hydrated in my type of work environment. A day like today I spent 8 hours on the floor, no break or lunch, and drank half a bottle of Water. I usually 'catch up' when I am at home so I don't get too dehydrated. I am planning on taking 4-6 weeks off of work. Will drinking larger quantities in a small amount of time get better after that time period?

Thanks for any responses, I love these forums, they have both inspired and educated me!

Well I can't answer your questions but I have also been worried about Water intake at work. I do get two fifteen minute breaks and a thirty minute lunch, but there are hours in between Im not aloud to drink or eat anything. I don't get the required amount of water now, and Im trying. I pretty much wake up, have a small breakfast then go to work. When I get home I may have an hour of free time before it's time to go to bed. If I can't drink anything thirty minutes before or after I eat then I can't drink water at lunch at all. Or before work, or before bed If I am going to get a third meal there somewhere... Which leaves my two fifteen minute breaks.

Hi Mindy, I too entertained the thought of going to Mexico and did extensive research on the subject, Here's what I can tell you. Dr. Garcia is a good choice from all I read. I take it you'll be going to Jersalem Hospital. That is a problem only because they treat bariatric pts. like cord wood, in-and-out. I heard several stories where they even made you walk up stairs for receiving your surgery. If you think you will be in a separate room with room service like here in the good ol' USA, forget it. you'll most likely be with several other pts, (cord wood). This is a thriving business for them. In-and-Out. As for everything else, provided your surgery was laprascopic, you should be able to handle everything you asked about. I am 65 and grossly over-weight and I handled everything very well, as far as walking, lifting or carrying, although nothing heavy. Overnight bag is fine. One thing I thought of after was possibly having a cane or walking stick for support. If you had a friend, you could lean on their arm, but since you will be alone, think about it. It will be an experience going there but I do believe you'll be safe enough. I wish you God speed, and good luck.

Hi Mindy, I too entertained the thought of going to Mexico and did extensive research on the subject, Here's what I can tell you. Dr. Garcia is a good choice from all I read. I take it you'll be going to Jersalem Hospital. That is a problem only because they treat bariatric pts. like cord wood, in-and-out. I heard several stories where they even made you walk up stairs for receiving your surgery. If you think you will be in a separate room with room service like here in the good ol' USA, forget it. you'll most likely be with several other pts, (cord wood). This is a thriving business for them. In-and-Out. As for everything else, provided your surgery was laprascopic, you should be able to handle everything you asked about. I am 65 and grossly over-weight and I handled everything very well, as far as walking, lifting or carrying, although nothing heavy. Overnight bag is fine. One thing I thought of after was possibly having a cane or walking stick for support. If you had a friend, you could lean on their arm, but since you will be alone, think about it. It will be an experience going there but I do believe you'll be safe enough. I wish you God speed, and good luck.