Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The price of Christmas

How much will you spend this Christmas?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How much will you spend this Christmas?

• less than $500.00
    • $500.00 to $1,000.00
    • $1,000.00 to $1500.00
    • $1500.00 to $2,000.00
    • $2,000.00 or more

I'am the same way with my Bichon Breana. I sign gifts from her to her Antie, Nona,Nono and grandma. They give her gifts back but I know Nona and Nono think it is a little weird.

Yasmina

We usually spend around $2,000 on Christmas each year, but that includes sponsoring a child for Christmas, and buying Christmas for a nephew who's father is disabled and who's mom works very hard but can not afford gifts.

Exchanging gifts with our extended families has been stopped in favor of doing different variations of a white elephant gift exchange. Everyone loves them. Each person buys one gift costing no more than $35, wraps it and puts it under the tree at the annual family gathering. We all draw numbers to see who goes 1st, 2nd, and so on. The first person has to choose a gift and open it, then the next person can either choose from the pile of gifts or steal a gift that has already been opened. When your gift is stolen, you can steal from someone else or pick from the pile. It's a real hoot.

Last year we did a variation. Everyone was to bring either a regular gift, or something that no one would possibly want, it could be used, new, handmade, whatever. We lowered the gift cost to $25 and had everyone put $10 in a pot. The person with the worst gift at the end of the game won the pot. It was hilarious because if someone stole the gift you really wanted, then you could try to steal a crappy gift from someone in an attempt to win the pot. I am proud to say that my gift was voted as the absolute worst gift, it was a Colon Cleansing Kit. Some of the other funny ones were an 8 place service of paper plate, cups and napkins, a used toilet brush, a beautiful gift bag, which contained a card which said the gift bag WAS the gift.

There were plenty of nice gift too. We had such a great time laughing and trying win crappy gifts.

We did the white elephant giving one time. I end up with the worst, it was a tin that appeared to have fudge in it, but when I opened it, it was filled with rocks and stale bread. I am going to a white elephant gifting this year and everyone has to bring a good gift and a gag gift. I am bringing a black and decker gizmo as my real gift and a gift certificate for the recipiant to come over and do my laundry as my gag. ~Mandy

DH and I usually look at Christmas as an excuse to get something a little extravagant we've been wanting. This year he bought golf equipment and I bought myself a cast Iron Japanese tea pot, maple tea chest and tea cups to match. I'll pick out the teas when I have time to make some good choices. We've given and received theatre and concert tickets and that is really a great gift.

I love buying gifts for our family when they give me something specific to purchase.

Honestly, DH and I probably get the most satisfaction out of what we do charity wise. It's always too puney, but it is our best memory of the Christmas season.

We usually spend around $2,000 on Christmas each year, but that includes sponsoring a child for Christmas, and buying Christmas for a nephew who's father is disabled and who's mom works very hard but can not afford gifts.

I am humbled by your post, Kat. You truly Celebrate the spirit of Christmas.

Jack, you are such a hoot! Bah-humbug my eye! lol

Seriously, I find Christmas is way too commercialized for me. The stores begin displays in October for goodness sakes! And, oh yes, those who take "Christ" out of Christmas are sent automatically to Jack's bah-humbug list...lol. It's Christ we are celebrating and if it offends anyone....go live in Iraq!

Since my job was taken from me after 30 years, and assigned to Mexico...just the kids will be on the receiving end of my list this year. It's not what I prefer....but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

One thing they cannot take from me is my love of family and country, and my love for Christ and His love for me! I have Christmas in my heart!!!

:) This Christmas will be quite different for us. As some of you know we will be gifting or giving or loaning money to someone for lap band surgery.

So as a family we have decided to spend a little money on ourselves by building a new deck for the hot tub.

We only have my parents and my sister and brother in law whom both live 6 hrs+ from us, and as adults we choose not to buy gifts for the simple reason we have everything we need already. I did get my parents and sister a small 20.00 dollar item for their yards, which I know I will get a "I told you not too" from both of them but as me I just can't help it.

I'm also one of those type of people that can't buy a gift and keep it a secret, I have to give it as soon as I see the person.

We do have three children 20, 18, & 17 and a 3 month old granddaughter whom are spoiled all year long. The kids all got new cars this year after our oldest son rolled his old one due to a wheel problem. We live 50+ miles from the nearest big town and I don't want my children broke down out in the woods so to speak.

So I guess to answer the question of how much we will spend I'd say

$300 or so.

As for travel, I don't think so, it's been snowing off and on for the last week and at this point we have 10 inches of the fluffy white stuff,

travel is a once a week trip by snowmobile to the little mini grocery store and mail box 3 miles away .

To some this may sound like HELL but I love it here. :)

Cheers to All

Amom & Adad

My DH and I bought all the presents several months ago. We buy throughout the year for adult children and 2 grandchildren. DH and I are going on a cruise so I guess we spent over $2,000. :)

It's Christ we are celebrating and if it offends anyone....go live in Iraq!
It's christ you're celebrating, to others it is not. The great thing about America, unlike Iraq, is that - it's ok.

Add about $700 to our holiday shopping, we just adopted a family of 5 from a local shelter. (DH, parents and I do it every year, but had missed the sponsorship deadline this year... but surprise surprise, we called and they made accomodations :) )

I lovvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeee christmas, it is expensive but it is only once a year and I love to sit and watch the look on my daughter's faces when they open there gifts. I am also a grandma, so my granddaughters are fun to watch. I was out today finishing up the last of the stocking shopping the people were out in droves, that part sometimes gets to me, beating your way through is not the fun part.

Cheers

Add about $700 to our holiday shopping, we just adopted a family of 5 from a local shelter.

Holy moly, Wheetsin! :heh::angel: Do you have room for 5 more people in your house?! Is it temporary or do you keep 'em forever? :)

Sherriberry - you're a grandmother already?! And with more than one, yet!?

Add about $700 to our holiday shopping, we just adopted a family of 5 from a local shelter. (DH, parents and I do it every year, but had missed the sponsorship deadline this year... but surprise surprise, we called and they made accomodations :) )

You should have said you were looking for a family to adopt, Wheets. You could have taken mine!

Hmmmmm......what a "loaded" comment. Christmas means many different things to me and my family and just because we like to spend ridiculously at Christmas doesn't mean that we have forgotten about Christ. C'mon....that was so unfair.

Carol

My problem with this statement is that the majority of americans living in Iraq right now are there fighting for freedom, even freedom of religion. I do believe in Christ, but this was offensive, even to me, and that says alot. Christmas has just as many pagen roots as it does christain, do your research. ~Mandy