Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op liquid diet?

I have just under 2 months before surgery.... this pre-op liquid diet is kinda freaking me out! Any tips or hints for a newbie to make it through?? Thank you

You don't get as hungry as you would think but its rough the first few days. I'm on day 2 and I am getting a lil crabby. As long as I take my Protein Shakes on time and drink my broth in between shakes I'm ok. I'm a huge Water drinker so I've been drinking like a camel. Just don't plan anything too stressful on that week. I would get all your supplies for surgery beforehand so you're not doing too much.

I have just under 2 months before surgery.... this pre-op liquid diet is kinda freaking me out! Any tips or hints for a newbie to make it through?? Thank you

I did low carb in the months leading up to my preop phase.. being in ketosis helped me stick to the strict diet. Also, having Protein shakes/soups you actually LIKE goes a long way. I'd be spending my time now replacing one meal a day with a Protein supplement to get used to the protein and find ones you like.

Day 3 for me! Not going to lie, it's hard! I started taking my Vitamins that I have to take after surgery and I feel better than I did the first day without them! We just have to make up our minds to stick to this! :)

Thank you! You guys are very helpful and encouraging!

I'm about 3 months from surgery, but my doc told me pre-op is 2 weeks of no carbs...by which I really hope he means very low carbs, but I will have to confirm that on my next visit. I'm going to try to be almost completely following his pre-op diet by about 4 weeks out, so it's not such a big shock. I'm already starting to gradually cut back.

Day 1 of preop liquids and I've come to realize the horrible addiction I have to eating. I'm not sure if its nerves or the fact that I know I can't eat but all I want to do is chew something. This is ridiculous. I'm not even hungry. Call it oral fixation or eating addiction but Houston we have a problem. I'm so ashamed I never realized this sooner. Hopefully this week off foods will help prepare me for what's to come. I refuse to give in and cheat on my diet. I am not not have ever been a quitter. I will conquer this. I have to in order to have a safe surgery and optimal results. Btw...Swansons low sodium chicken broth is so bland. Lmbo.

Try the bouillon cubes, they have way more flavor! Wishing you well on your diet.

Thanks.

I'm scheduled for surgery on April 3rd, I've been on Clear Liquids for 8 days now and it's been rough, I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and my blood sugar has tanked so many times, even with using Atkins premade shakes and broth.

I'm determined to be successful at this, it is my life afterall, but for me the hardest thing will be to break the toxic habits of my past, and learn a new way to deal with stress and emotions. These liquids aren't the problem, I'm really not feeling hungry, but old habits die hard.

Funny, I never noticed how many freakin' commercials are food related till now,

I been planning this for a while, I've bought clothing in several sizes smaller, and I treated myself to a huge art desk and a collection of paints, canvas, brushes, paper and special pens for pen and ink drawings and I'm starting a blog...something I'll have to be completely honest in,,,that should keep me on track.

I'm in Houston Texas and once they clear me for exercise I'll be looking for people to walk with and take some fun classes with. Zumba looks fun!

I'm so grateful for finding this place and all of you. We can more than just get through this together, we can succeed beyond our wildest dreams!!

Lets get to know each other and have each other's backs. I'm in.

Now I need to get someone to take a picture of me pre-op...I do hate photos of myself, but I won't in a year from now!!

1 day to go!!

I'm scheduled for surgery on April 3rd' date=' I've been on Clear Liquids for 8 days now and it's been rough, I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and my blood sugar has tanked so many times, even with using Atkins premade shakes and broth.

I'm determined to be successful at this, it is my life afterall, but for me the hardest thing will be to break the toxic habits of my past, and learn a new way to deal with stress and emotions. These liquids aren't the problem, I'm really not feeling hungry, but old habits die hard.

Funny, I never noticed how many freakin' commercials are food related till now,

I been planning this for a while, I've bought clothing in several sizes smaller, and I treated myself to a huge art desk and a collection of paints, canvas, brushes, paper and special pens for pen and ink drawings and I'm starting a blog...something I'll have to be completely honest in,,,that should keep me on track.

I'm in Houston Texas and once they clear me for exercise I'll be looking for people to walk with and take some fun classes with. Zumba looks fun!

I'm so grateful for finding this place and all of you. We can more than just get through this together, we can succeed beyond our wildest dreams!!

Lets get to know each other and have each other's backs. I'm in.

Now I need to get someone to take a picture of me pre-op...I do hate photos of myself, but I won't in a year from now!![/quote']

Welcome!! I am also located in Houston, TX and my surgery date is April 1st. I am up now looking at all my post op prescriptions and documents for my surgery. Wow I can't believe this is happening!! I started my journey in October 25,2012 with an email to the surgeons office and here I am! I wish you the best on your surgery and l look forward on hearing of your progress as the days and months progress!!

Congrats!!

1 day to go!!

Hope your surgery went well today!

Hope your surgery went well today!

Thank you!! The surgery went well and I am back at home. So glad to back home!!

I had to do a 14 day Pre op diet and they suggested drinking the Protein drinks and get used to only sipping. I used powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and soy Protein. I was also told get lean cuisine meals and eat 3 each day with 1 cup of vegetables. The meals could not be more than 350 calories each. I was to also start drinking 64 oz of fluids daily, and two lite Snacks. It was hard at first but I did lose weight. They do this so your liver shrinks and helps them do the surgery better since they have to move it for surgery. Your liver is the first to get fat and plump up when you gain weight and it's the first to lose and shrink when you lose weight.

Since the pump you full of air and have to use a device to move your liver out of the way they want less trauma as possible to your liver.

Re:wanting to chew...

Try frozen fruit pops. You get to bite into something and it's still considered a clear liquid.

FYI...the fastest growing cells in the human body are located in.... The liver!

Sent from my iPhone using VST