Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are There ANY Eastern Iowa Bandsters?

My insurance does not require the doctor supervised diet. I have gone several times over the years, though.

Jackie- I am so sorry about your husband. I am sure your kids are very protective of you. I am also sure that they understand why this surgery is so important to you. It's the beginning of a new life. A long, happy one!

Let me know how your sleep study goes. Best of luck to ya!

Keep me posted!

I just got off the phone from the doctor's office. After my pshych. eval they will submit to insurance. Mary is the gal who does all the insurance stuff. (She was very nice, by the way.) I asked about how long it would take to get banded after approval. She stated that it depends on my tests. I told her all the test were done, except the overnight oximetry test. She stated that if that test came back that I may have sleep apnea, that the 2 night sleep study may take a long time. Evidently the sleep studies are backed up. I told her that I did not think that I had apnea. She told me that I would be surprised, most of the people coming in do. Just great! I thought I was ready to roll! I also found out that my bloodwork (that I have done twice), was incomplete. I was not tested for alot of things they needed. I guess I should have talked to them first. Now I have to go in again!

My insurance won't pay just for the oximetry. I was told I had to go to the lab and do an auctual sleep study. I go tomorrow night. Where are you going for yours?

I have talked with Mary a few times through out this process. You are right she is awsome. She was telling me over the phone before I even had my consult what tests I was going to need to that is how I got scheduled for some so fast.

I have heard also that the 2nd night for sleep study can take a while. They have to regulate the machine (if you have apnea) and then you have to be on that for at least 2 weeks BEFORE surgery. I am hoping I will be able to sleep tomorrow while I am there. I want to get this over with. I am a little freaked out by the whole thing of leads and stuff hooked to me while I sleep but it is another obstacle that I will endure to get this surgery.

Lets hope neither of us have apnea (I think I do. My daughter hears me snoring and gasping for air sometimes at night) and we can get this whole thing rolling faster.

Good luck and keep me posted.

I am supposed to call Mary back on Monday to see if they received the psych eval report. If so, she will submit then.

Sounds like Mary will be getting a call from both of us on Monday! I do not have to do the sleep study unless I "fail" the oximetry test. I would probably go to Cedar Falls/Waterloo to get the sleep study if I had to. My husband tells me that I snore. I've noticed that sometimes I will snore when I am falling asleep and it wakes me up. Maybe I do have sleep apnea. I hope not, but just one more reason to get the band. (All the leads and stuff would freak me out, too! - it's worth it, though!)

My husband, sister and co-workers are very supportive of me. My mom wasn't at first, but says she is fine with it. I guess my dad feels it is drastic. I have been keeping things on the down low with my mom and dad until I know I am getting the band for sure. My kids are 8, 4 and 2. I have not told my 8 year old yet, but I know it will scare the heck out of her. I am not sure how I will deal with that situation yet. She is very intelligent and sensitive. Any ideas? The other 2 kids are too young to understand. Thank God!

I am so glad I found you! Just knowing someone else is in the same place as me is comforting! It is just a wait and see game now, I guess. Let me know if you hear anything!!

Have a wonderful evening!!

Hello Lynn and others: I live in Iowa City. I was banded in Grinnell on 3/29/07. I had my first fill yesterday (May 9) and so far I've lost 14 lbs.

Nice to meet you all!

Lynn: Like Cedar Falls, Grinnell would also be about 2 hours for you (maybe just a bit longer). It's exactly 1 hour from Iowa City.

I used to work in the QCs, right out of college.

Anyone live in Grinnell? My Mom was raised there. She was raised on Main Street (the house is still there an a former college professor lives there now). I was there last summer for her High School Reunion....the 64th!!!

Hi Iowans!

I'm working on my 6 month supervised diet too. I just had a psych eval and got a clearance for surgery from him. I'm seeing a nutritianist each month too. I've had a sleep study and found out I have sleep apnea and will go on a CPAP next week. The pulmonary doctor said that if I use it for two months he would give his ok on surgery and would personally write to the insurance co! I have had a colonoscopy and a echocardiogram (since I was on the fen fen diet too) I hope I'm getting everything done that I need too. I'm going to try and get a endoscopy next month and plan on going to Arizona and have my surgery in Oct or Nov. Hope I have all the pretesting done before I go. Do I need to do more? I want to make sure all my i's are dotted! I don't want any chance that I get denied! Diane

What area of Iowa are you from? I am from Eastern Iowa and I am going to Dr. Glascock in Cedar Falls. Most of the tests needed for surgery are dictated by your insurance and the doctor you are seeing. Check with them to see what else they need. I also needed a chest X-ray, abdominal ultrasound, lotsa bloodwork, and an EKG. Good Luck!! I am still waiting for approval!

Lori I'm from Camanche Iowa. I guess I will wait until I get to AZ for the blood work and if I need a EKG have it done there too. I'm sure I will have to see there nutritionist too. I can't wait to have the surgery and the time is just not going fast enough. Did you have to go on a 6 month supervised diet? If so did you lose weight? I know I can lose weight but then I just gain it back again. I don't know if the insurance would deny me if I lose weight on the supervised diet and then have to wait to gain it back before I can have surgery!

I was approved last Friday, July 13 by BCBS of Georgia. It took 3-4 weeks for a decision. I did not have to do a supervised diet, though I had been seeing my doctor for weight related issues. I have lost 10 pounds since starting this journey. My surgery will be sometime the week of August 13, so I will by starting my liquid diet soon. I think your insurance company looks at your many years of medical history and can tell that you cannot sustain weight loss. Don't worry. It sounds llike you are really doing all you can. Good Luck!

Hi Iowa Bandsters!

I have been so busy with work lately that I have become "out of the loop" here!! WOW!! I am SOOOOO glad that there are a few more of us in these parts... I was getting lonely!!

I cannot believe what hoops you have to go through to get banded here in the States. Since my insurance refused to pay even a penny, I was banded by Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana and it was a wonderful experience. I did my research, choose my surgeon, talked to him on the phone. Did more research. Went to TJ, had all of my pre-op tests and was banded the next day. No psych exams (yeah, I KNOW why I am fat, I EAT TOO STINKIN' MUCH!) No sleep studies (I KNOW I SNORE AND HAVE APNEA - which, after loosing 61 pounds is now GONE as is my nasty machine!!). I just did it....

Good luck all of you who are going to be banded soon, it is really a simple surgery, I was walking 10 - 20 minutes after coming back from the OR.... and back to work 6 days later. I need a fill right now, but still can only eat about half of what I could before!!

HUGS to all!:clap2:

Hi, Lynn! I will be banded in about 3 weeks! I started my journey in March, so I am so ready for this. I will start my liquid diet in one week. Yuck!!!!!!! I go to Dr. Glascock in Cedar Falls. Glad to hear you are doing so well!

Lynn: Like Cedar Falls, Grinnell would also be about 2 hours for you (maybe just a bit longer). It's exactly 1 hour from Iowa City.

I used to work in the QCs, right out of college.

Hi Syrah!

I'm also from Iowa City. Can you tell me who does fills in Grinnell? I currently go to Dr. Vitello in Chicago, but that is quite a drive! Can you tell me more about this dr in Grinnell? Price? Does he use fluoro? Does he do fills for MX banded patients?

Thanks,

Donna