Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost More Than The Weight

As of today I am down 82lbs! Woohoo! That makes me want to do a happy dance. I am proud of the decission that I made to loose the weight and get healthy. It is not an easy journey, I have lost several friends that are just not comfortable in the way that I eat compared to the way that they eat. Not sure why the way that I eat is a problem for them. It has nothing to do with them. It has made me realize who my true friends are and how much that they love me no matter what. The hardest thing for me lately is going into my closet. It should be a happy place, but it is far from happy. I was in a 24W the day that I had surgery, now I am in a size 16. The problem witht that? I have nothing that fits. I have bought a couple of pair of jeans each time that I drop two sizes then just wear them until I can no longer hold them up. Some how I missed size 18 all together. Now NOTHING fits.... I went to get ready for church and realized I had no chruch clothes. I felt like I was going to have a breakdown in my closet. I feel like I have lost more than weight and friends. I feel like I have lost a part of me. I have always been confident in myself and who I am. Not so much lateley. I look in the mirror and the girl that I see there is just that. A girl. I have not been this size since I was in high school. I have never been a "woman" in this size body. I am not sure what to do with her. Hopefully this will pass. Hopefully things will get easier.

I'm not sure if there is a Goodwill where you are. The ones local to me have some very nice choices and for low price. I've seen where some people are going that route while they are losing and not paying a lot of money for clothes. Great job! You're definitely an inspiration!

I agree salvation army is also great. I have donated over 20 bags of clothes there myself.

I know the feeling of being a new me, I use to be a tight 18 now I am a 6-8 in clothes. I have absolutely never in my life been this small, except on my way up of course. I have no clothes that fit, I have to buy all new. This is alot of fun but expensive. I think it takes time to get used to our new selves, just give it time.

I am with you, I'm only 5 months out but have lost 72 pounds. I was in a size 24 and now am in a size 12. It's so weird because you think getting dressed should be one of the most exciting parts of your day but for me it's very uncomfortable because well to be honest I don't even know how to dress at this size. I to was in high school last time I was this size and I don't want to dress like that again, lol. But I am excited also, it's like I get a new start. I can make and mold myself into whomever I want to be and I love that. It sure has turned into an amazing adventure I am excited to see where it takes me. I'm am sorry you have lost friends over this, I know how that feels. My family is still very angry with me for making the choice to have this surgey and when I eat around them they constantly mention how unhealthy they think my ratting habits are and don't want to listen to my explanation. Oh well is all I can say, my husband and I are both super happy with the results so far. They will come around, and if they don't oh well, other people will come into my life that can love me as I am. Good luck and remember your not alone on this journey!

Seriously your mourning your clothes? Skinny clothes are better than fat clothes any day.. Go shopping.. A little retail therapy will cheer you right up

You definitely need to go out and buy yourself some nice church clothes! No more breakdowns in your closet, ok?

I am slowly redesigning my "look" . I have never been a girly fashionista type - jeans & t-shirt or black slacks & non-tailored top (i.e. baggy). For right now I am sticking with the black slacks but the tops are getting more feminine. I have found that I really like the cardigan over tank top look - two or three nice cardigans or jackets and lots of bright colored tank tops or camisoles aren't too expensive and you can wear them through a lot of "down sizing".

A seamstress or tailor can be your best friend. Before I embarked on this journey I spoke with a seamstress to make sure she would be able to alter my clothing as my weight loss continues.

I am very proud of the weight you've already lost, but sad you feel so out if place in your own body. It's a journey and you're only part of the way there, keep that in mind and focus on your inner self.

I'm 3 months out. Since I'm a stay at home wife/mom I don't need much clothing. I wear sweats with draw strings a lot. I had a few pants in my closet but I've almost shrunk out of those! I bought a brand new pair of jeans almost to tight to zip so I can wear them a little longer! Try good will yard sales and second hand stores!

I have the same problem! I am in my pre-op stages; and I have lost 10lbs in 3 months; according to the scales, but I was wearing a size 20 in jeans, dress pants, and shorts. I have such a wide range of cloths in my closet that some sizes don't fit, but I can try on the same size in a different brand and they fit. Going thru my closet completely makes me want to have a full melt down. I can only imagine after I have the surgery and my cloths don't fit.

I also hate shopping, but I made myself go to Torrid this weekend and buy shorts. Telling the girl I needed a size 20. I tried those on and they were to big, I tried on an 18, to big, and I tried on a 16, comfortable yet big, then I tried on a 14, way to small. I went with a 16 and bought 3 pairs. To me it is an emotional roller coaster when it comes to cloths. I work for a government contractor and we have to wear business attire, so I end up wearing the same thing every other day. I just change the top. It is crazy. I have been going to Goodwill, but like I said I hate shopping, I think we must retrain ourselves.

I wish you the best of luck! Remember Goodwill and Salvation Army and even consignment shops are good places. Of course, I love wal-mart! :)

First of all, you're gorgeous and congrats on the weight loss! I too went from a 24 to a loose 18/tight 16. I bought jeans at old navy when they had a sale and have been wearing more dresses. Dresses seem to last longer as you lose weight, they still look ok. I haven't hit up goodwill yet but will. Go shopping and get a few things that make you feel amazing! I love shopping now because clothes fit so much better now!

As of today I am down 82lbs! Woohoo! That makes me want to do a happy dance. I am proud of the decission that I made to loose the weight and get healthy. It is not an easy journey' date=' I have lost several friends that are just not comfortable in the way that I eat compared to the way that they eat. Not sure why the way that I eat is a problem for them. It has nothing to do with them. It has made me realize who my true friends are and how much that they love me no matter what. The hardest thing for me lately is going into my closet. It should be a happy place, but it is far from happy. I was in a 24W the day that I had surgery, now I am in a size 16. The problem witht that? I have nothing that fits. I have bought a couple of pair of jeans each time that I drop two sizes then just wear them until I can no longer hold them up. Some how I missed size 18 all together. Now NOTHING fits.... I went to get ready for church and realized I had no chruch clothes. I felt like I was going to have a breakdown in my closet. I feel like I have lost more than weight and friends. I feel like I have lost a part of me. I have always been confident in myself and who I am. Not so much lateley. I look in the mirror and the girl that I see there is just that. A girl. I have not been this size since I was in high school. I have never been a "woman" in this size body. I am not sure what to do with her. Hopefully this will pass. Hopefully things will get easier.[/quote']

I absolutely get it! The thought of not relating to my new self has mortified since before surgery. I went from 26/28 to 18/20 and it has not him me yet bc I've been this size before but anything smaller freaks me out.

I have decided I will tell myself that Im just a smaller healthier version of myself. Also, I know the clothes arent the real issue but I do agree that well fitted clothing will help to keep your confidence up and hopefully insecurity at bay! We can do this! :)

Wow. Your post definitely has me feeling a certain way. I am finally meeting with my surgeon this coming Monday. And this is something I haven't thought about. My mind has been completely stuck on how wonderful I'm finally going to look in clothes and how much fun shopping will be. Your post has brought me down to earth. Thank u so much for being so honest. Please keep us updated. Best wishes your way.

Dressed are our friend during the high loosening stage. Tank top ( not spaghetti strap) if it starts getting baggy, wear a belt.