Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyone have their Ghrelin hormone removed?

I've seen a few times on here people are hungry after surgery. My dr said they remove the hormone that makes u feel hunger. After a few years the body figures out a new way to make u feel the hunger urge - otherwise I'd just have that surgery lol

Id like to encourage you to research the procedure and how it works to help with weight loss. I believe that knowing everything about it will help you be more successful with initial loss and long term success. People here are truly super, but you really need to read and learn what this is all about.

I think I do understand, I just hadn't seen anyone mention Ghrelin on here and wondered if everyone has it removed. My dr said that you won't feel hungry and may have to set timers to remind yourself to eat. I also understand that some people experiencing "hunger" it could all be just in their head. I'm not sure how my question came across inappropriately.

I can tell you I am 31 days post op and I do have to set reminders to eat...even if eating is only a bite of something. My understanding is that some ghrelin remains but nowhere close to previous levels because the fundus is removed.

the whole point of the operation is to remove the greater curvature of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone ghrelin the only type of hunger people would be talking about is pre op diet hunger or head hunger.

I have to say that while I don't feel "hunger" like I did before, I definitely know when it's time to eat. It's more of an "empty" feeling, but oh-so-much better than pre-op hunger "pangs". Not only that, since I'm not "ravenous", just "empty", I make better choices AND I'm full after just a little bit. My ghrelin is gone for sure- and I don't miss it! LOL

-Kendra

Nothing wrong with your question dear. Nor with the answer moregoodtimes gave...........moving right along......

Grehlin is a peptide hormone, as you mentioned. So it circulates throughout the body (just like insulin - also a hormone). So Grehlin itself cannot be removed.

There is however an area of the stomach in the Greater Curvature (the fundus) where the P/D1 cells produce Grehlin. As this part of the stomach is removed in the vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) procedure, there is a significant reduction in Grehlin production in the body (though it is still also produced in the epsilon cells of the pancreas). The less Grehlin in your system, the less hunger you feel.

The pharmacological mechanism is complex and I won't go into detail. However, it is important to note that Grehlin works in partnership with another hormone (Leptin) that induces satiation (a feeling of fullness and hunger satisfaction). Before you eat, increased Grehlin levels make you hungry and after you eat, increased Leptin levels let you know you're full (in addition to stomach stretch receptors).

In this equation, if you reduce the amount of Grehlin, but leave the amount of Leptin constant, your body will feel full faster (biochemically), in addition to the mechanical signal of fullness from the smaller stomach.

There is however no longer a stretch receptor area in the stomach (also removed in VSG procedure), and it takes time for the brain to register signals from stomach to tell it to stop eating. That is why VSG patients (especially in the beginning of solid food phase) can easily overeat. 1-2 additional bites past capacity happen frequently unless the patient is weighing their portions. The brain can't keep up with the mouth!

It is also important to note that Grehlin has other much more important and useful functions for the body! The ability to learn and adapt to change are influenced by Grehlin availability. It also has a role in glucose metabolism and cell transcription/migration. Some other studies point to Grehlin's role in protecting against stress-induced depression and sleep duration and quality.

So you don't want Grehlin removed completely!

Of course no amount of physical change to this complex interwoven system can fight the evils of head-hunger! That is a learned response that we must each battle through in the beginning and good routines, will-power and in many cases supportive psychotherapy are key to ongoing success!

Thanks kendra! This is what I'm looking forward to. My over eating is because I let myself get too hungry and want carbs to fill me up quick! When I don't have that hunger urgency I feel like ill eat much better & healthier choices to curb my appetite. I have seen that a few people said they still feel hunger like before the surgery only diff is they're filled up with small amounts. I wasnt aware of where the hormone was located and didn't know it was located in the part of the stomach that's removed. Maybe it was a dumb question but i thought this was a place i could find help. Thank you

Thank you webchickadee for such a detailed answer! That's answered that question in full ...

Are you a dr yourself (because you sound so knowledgable) I have another weird question. I had a breast reduction 10 years ago and my body rejected the stitches leaving bad scaring, then an areola reduction last year and the same thing happened (i wont go into detail but there was puss and infection) Also my eyebrow ring and belly ring were also pushed out/ rejected when I was younger. I'm a little afraid my body may reject the sleeve - it doesn't seem to like foreign objects??

I think I do understand' date=' I just hadn't seen anyone mention Ghrelin on here and wondered if everyone has it removed. My dr said that you won't feel hungry and may have to set timers to remind yourself to eat. I also understand that some people experiencing "hunger" it could all be just in their head. I'm not sure how my question came across inappropriately.[/quote']

I truly was not trying to nasty with you. By saying.. Have your ghrelin removed... It led me to believe you didnt fully understand how it works. The ghrelin production, along with leptin production, is effected when the fundus portion of the stomach is removed. I knew others would give you an answers as well so decided to give you a different perspective. You post questions, we respond. You sort through and accept those you like and ignore the rest. No harm intended. :)

Thank you moregoodtimes ... I asked a question yesterday and got a not so nice response and was starting to think I shouldn't be on here ... Or at least keep my mouth shut for a while. Lol I can't be pestering my dr with all my little questions so I asked on here. The way my dr explained it sounded to me like .. And we will also remove this (Ghrelin) while we are in here. I didn't know the logistics of it all. Thank you for your response ????

The sleeve is not something that is added to your body it is called that due to the new shape of your stomach. There are titanium staples used down the side of your stomach so I would talk to your surgeon about that. Have you had any other surgery where sutures or staples have been used? The staples used are different than sutures, but I'm not sure how they would see whether or not your body would tolerate them. Talk to your surgeon.

I have only had those 2 breast surgeries and those stitche . I did ask him breifly in an email and he said no... But I'm still worried about the staples, maybe he just hasn't come across it before. I'm going to further investigate on here before I ask a thread question tho! Thank you

The "sleeve" is actually just your stomach (no object added other than the staples used to close the open end). Some surgeons (most) also "oversew" the staples, meaning they staple the opening closed, then sew the entire opening together as well. This helps prevent leaks (which can be life-threatening!).

The "sewing" can be used with natural materials ie. the classic "catgut" (no guarantee your immune system won't be activated by this), or synthetic materials (such as polygycolide (P.G.A.) or polydioxanone (PDS)).

Catgut is made from twisted strands of collagen fibre taken from bovine (cow) intestines. It is a monofilament absorbed by the body usually within a 90 day timeperiod.

Polyglycolide and Polydioxanone are sythetically produced. The first is a braided multifilament made from polygycolic acid coated with amino acids. It is absorbed by the body within 60-90 days. The latter is a monofilament synthetic prepared from polyester and is absorbed by the body complete within 200 days.

It sounds like you either have an very active immune system that is hypersensitive, or you've had some less than completely sterile surgical experiences and/or post-op care.

You must be sure to provide your surgeon with a complete medical history and give special attention to the post-surgical infections you have struggled with. He/she may wish to consult with your former surgeons to determine the root cause of your infections and then decide what his/her best surgical approach will be.

In addition, any other medical conditions you have, especially allergies, adverse reactions to medications, etc. need to be fully explored and discussed with your surgeon prior to surgery.

Good luck! Do your research (just as you are here....and more!) and tell your medical team EVERYTHING.

Thank you moregoodtimes ... I asked a question yesterday and got a not so nice response and was starting to think I shouldn't be on here ... Or at least keep my mouth shut for a while. Lol I can't be pestering my dr with all my little questions so I asked on here. The way my dr explained it sounded to me like .. And we will also remove this (Ghrelin) while we are in here. I didn't know the logistics of it all. Thank you for your response dde0a

No prob.. I never mean to be not nice but am pretty matter of fact. I just want everyone to be successful so really push them to know exactly what to expect. Personally, i am 60, have been above 200 since high school and was just sleeved. Im a total carb addict! Brown rice, Pasta, bread... All were my faves! Im down 68 pounds with both pre op and post op losses. I have to watch the clock to remind myself to have a little Protein snack mid morning and mid afternoon..cheese stick or 3 oz yogurt.. I have maybe 12 oz tops..usually less...of food a day along with my tea Water and one shake. No no desire for food. I do feel a little empty around dinner time, but i think its an old habit dying hard...i used to get home from work and start stuffing myself...now i can barely get in 1.5 oz of salmon for my dinner! Other than my kids and grandkids, this is truly the most exciting adventure of my life! Best wishes!