Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bands eroded, slipped or still successful bands?

How is your band?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How is your band?

• Band is fine, no complications so far
    • Band was removed for reasons other than erosion/slip
    • Band slipped but unfill repaired it
    • Band slipped, I was rebanded
    • Band slipped, removed, no new band
    • Band slipped, revised to bypass, sleeve or switch
    • Band eroded, unfill repaired it
    • Band eroded, removed, no new band or other revision
    • Band eroded, revised to bypass, sleeve or switch
    • At 1 year or more my band isn't working, not losing

I'm just wondering if we can get an idea of how the numbers stack up since the complications information once gathered by another bandster never made it to completion.

I'm eroded, band removed, no new band for me.

What time line do you want for your responses? There is as usual, an abundance of newbie banders ( I consider myself to still be one!!!) on the site. Are you interested in everyone--or just bandsters 6 months + out...a year...

Just thought it might make a difference...

sorry about your band.

Kat

What time line do you want for your responses? There is as usual, an abundance of newbie banders ( I consider myself to still be one!!!) on the site. Are you interested in everyone--or just bandsters 6 months + out...a year...

Just thought it might make a difference...

sorry about your band.

Kat

Hi Kat,

I didn't include newbies in not losing in under a year, because it can take up to that long for folks to get to the proper fill, get their head in the right place etc.. If newbie bandsters are under a year and having slip, erosion or band failure then the appropriate line includes them too. I missed a line about port problems/replacements and it wouldn't let me go back and edit to add it. I think that would be interesting to see too.

O also wonder out of the people who say there band is fine how many of them are pre 1 year post op?

i means how can we messure 1 year post op probs no weight loss compared to fine no probs if the dates arnt being messured the same some peeps could be just a few weeks banded and filling in that section?

Statictically the band has a high reoprative rate in later stages 18 moneths to 2 years post op.

I just wonder how many of them wer or are also 1 year post op.

what were there expectaions of the band.

Re

Do they feel full

Do they have problems with any perticular foods IE fiberus or stodgy or even fruits

were there expectaions met

were there expectaions realistic to start with

If there expectations have not been met how have they not been met.

I for instance was told i would be able to eat all foods but that i would feel "full" sooner and i would stop eating. = This has not happened i can bairly eat anything solid and i am never fill just costantlt hungry. I have restriction but even the smallest amount of food is regurgatated.

My service provider said i would have my first fill at 6 weeks post op and i would have as many fills as i needed when i needed them. = Again this did not happen he refused any one and every one a fill untill 12 weeks post op but because he has a huge waiting list it was 20+ weeks before you got to see him and then be refferd for a fill only to then sit on another waiting list. a lot differnt than the 2 weeks i was told!

I expected i would struggle with the band but i never actually thought no waight loss was possable i thought it would help me even in the worst case cenario.

Muggle you have very good points. I think that sounds like a whole other new poll. You should start one asking those very questions. Polls are easy to set up, and the answers to your questions would be interesting to a lot of folks. I am really just wondering how many folks are leaving band land, (not lbt) and why. Your questions delve deeper and could really help others understand the band.

Mine is fine a year post op but I still havent reached optimum restriction. Despite that in 12 months I have lost almost all of my excess weight, and am now in a health weight range, the rest is just cosmetic, but still important to me.

Hey, The selection "band eroded, unfill fixed it" should be changed. An unfill cannot fix an erosion. Only removal of band and time to heal can fix an erosion. Getting an unfill has nothing to do with the erosion. At least that is my understanding of what an erosion actually is.

In speaking with different surgeons while researching about mine, I was told that for some folks with minor erosion, a simple unfill and time would allow them to heal. Some erosions are caught early, and can be saved. Most erosions, especially those whose band are already inside the stomach, must have the band removed. I added it in case anyone here fit that category.

I don't think thats a dumb question - I sure don't know. I talked to my dr yesterday about erosion and he said its rare if you are following all the guidelines.

I talked to my dr yesterday about erosion and he said its rare if you are following all the guidelines.

I think this poll is really flawed. There are a lot of people who have eroded in the past on this board that won't see this poll to respond. Some stick around, but most people who've lost their bands spend much less time here--if any.

I just haven't seen enough info about people 2+ years to say this band is a good thing for life. A couple of very positive bandsters (such as Michelle) who followed the quidelines still eroded after 2 years so I just don't believe your doctor's opinion that "it is rare."

And even IF erosion is rare for those "following all the guidelines" how many people who were so bad at dieting that they had to get a lapband ALWAYS have the ability to follow the guidelines?? I'm sure there are a few, but I bet plenty of us fall off the wagon & engage in overeating at times.

If I knew then what I know now I certainly would not have gotten the lapband 2 years ago. I'm not eroded at this time, but feel like a ticking timebomb.

I think this poll is really flawed. There are a lot of people who have eroded in the past on this board that won't see this poll to respond. Some stick around, but most people who've lost their bands spend much less time here--if any.

If I knew then what I know now I certainly would not have gotten the lapband 2 years ago. I'm not eroded at this time, but feel like a ticking timebomb.

I don't think that necessarily means the poll is flawed. She's just trying to get an idea of rough numbers, from the people here who are still around.

As for the second part (the ticking time bomb bit), have you talked to anyone about that? Sounds like its causing you a good deal of anxiety, which isn't good for your system. You're two years out - Have you had much success overall with the band? What makes you feel that you're going to erode?

Yes, things do go wrong with the band occasionally, like my slippage, or other people's erosions, but it is rare. Just because a handful of people here have eroded in our small community (and I feel for them, I really do!), doesn't make it any more prominent of an occurrence. The overall statistics, worldwide, show that it just isn't that common in the grand scheme of things, considering the number of people banded every day.

I guess my point is, you can't dwell on what might happen. You're banded, even if in hindsight you wish you weren't. Try to take advantage of it whilst you can.

She's just trying to get an idea of rough numbers, from the people here who are still around.

...The overall statistics, worldwide, show that it just isn't that common in the grand scheme of things, considering the number of people banded every day.

I guess my point is, you can't dwell on what might happen. You're banded, even if in hindsight you wish you weren't. Try to take advantage of it whilst you can.

I think that's my point. Statistically, the people who are still around are going to be those more successful. I don't think there have been enough people banded long enough worldwide to actually SEE the grand scheme of things here.

Sorry I'm so negative Jess. That's why I don't hang out at LBT much anymore. I haven't had much success and the whole thing does make me anxious. (And guess what THAT makes me want to do?)

I guess now I'm feeling the regret of getting this in TJ. It wasn't so hard to get it done all by myself, but an emergency could really be a problem. I'm divorced and my sons are far away at college, my family doesn't even know about the band and I really don't have any close friends nearby I could ask to drive me to Tia Juana (2 hours away). If a real emergency came up I'm not really sure what I'd do.