Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you have for Thanksgiving?

I can get into some trouble with egg nog. Now you mention egg nog ice cream... it's the 2nd best frozen seasonal-only treat, second only to Cinnamon ice cream. Cinnamon ice cream is one of my favorites, but you can only get it about 2 months of the year.

So I have to "make due" with Chubby Hubby.

Piercedqt - the food is good! I will stick mostly to the Greek side since it's fairly rare that we put the time/effort into making the dishes. The homemade lamb gyros takes me a good 6 hours just to make, let alone cook. I just don't make that effort for the two of us. It can take me and mom a good 4 - 6 hours for a single pan of baklava, because of all the layering/brushing.

We're doing the traditional thing, like we do every year. This year mom said "I'm bored with this, you're cooking this year", so that's that, lol. Last year, I was also at mom's house, but the year before I was at my future inlaws' house, and it was really crazy. My fiance has 9 older siblings and 30-some-odd nephews and nieces. They weren't ALL there, but lots and lots of them were there.

My specialty though is pumpkin pie. I've been the one in the family to make it since I was 12 and ended up doing it right, lol. My mom says the rest of us can have all the stuff, and she'll be sitting down to HER pumpkin pie with coolwhip and a spoon, hehe.

I can get into some trouble with egg nog.

Wheets...

I made homemade egg nog once. It was unbelievable. I don't dare make it again.

Since I'm not banded yet I guess this will be my last pig-out thanksgiving. I do it all. Turkey, stuffing, mashed taters & gravy, gr bean casserole, sw.taters, rolls, coleslaw, cranberry jelly, deviled eggs, pumpkin and pecan and coconut cream pie. I am also the mom and I'm also the best cook. LOL so they want me to cook. I get my band on Dec 11 so I'm thinking its going to be mushies for Christmas. Christmas eve is our BIG buffet - I make everyones favorites from oyster stew to hot wings - we eat from noon to midnight - play games, open gifts - just have a good time. I chose this day so my kids will all be there and I don't have to compete with everyone else for Christmas day.

Traditional fare! A family member usually does the turkey, stuffing, and side dish. The rest of the family brings a side dish or dessert as well. That way, the host isnt' totally overwhelmed. It works out nicely. We do it buffet style. My Mom is hosting it the first time this year. It's really the first time, that I can remember, that she cooked Thanksgiving.

I will eat a little bit of everything (no bread). Other than that, my eating has totally changed to normal portions that you see thin folks eat! My head still wants to pork out..

Shawn

well we are having another military couple over for thanksgiving and we decided to do the usual, turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, greenbeans, ect. But our DH's don't like any of it. so, since we are in Germany and everything is open, we are going to just order in Thai food and hang out

all of this food is making me crazy! And I need help. I am day 4 post op and did someyhing stupid. I WAS PEELING AN ORANGE FOR MY SCHNAUZER AND GAVE HER A SLICE AND KINDA automatically put one in my mouth. I immed. felt a lump stuck, but it seemed to go away, but now 5 hrs later I have stomach cramps. Anyone know any tricks?

all of this food is making me crazy! And I need help. I am day 4 post op and did someyhing stupid. I WAS PEELING AN ORANGE FOR MY SCHNAUZER AND GAVE HER A SLICE AND KINDA automatically put one in my mouth. I immed. felt a lump stuck, but it seemed to go away, but now 5 hrs later I have stomach cramps. Anyone know any tricks?

Yes...don't eat the Schnauzer's food.< /span>

Just kidding...you'll be fine. If you are having stomach cramps, that means the orange went thru your stoma and into your stomach. The cramps are probably just a result of having been on a liquid diet for so long, then suddenly throwing an orange into the works.

thank you so much-my dr said it should be fine, but I feel better hearing it from a real bandster. He also told me I'm not allowed to touch real food only doggy treats!:think

This was my first good day and I almost ruined it.

By the way I'm from Tampa, fl. and Dr Aguila did the surgery.

Happy Thanksgiving,:clap2:

jan

, but this year I'm going to add Sweet Potato Pie. I've never had it but people say it is good.

Sweet potato pie is to die for! I make a sweet potato casserole which is about the same as the pie filling with a brown sugar nut topping.

My turkey is smoked and in the freezer. My daughter is making a different dressing with nuts and bacon. Luckily I am at the point where I can eat everything, just small portions.

Our dinners are small, just my 2 daughters, 1 son in law and one grandson.

Actually it would be cheaper to go out and eat, but then we graze on the left overs the rest of the week.

I have been canning pears and making them colored, like green mint, blue ginger, red cinnamon - I made a pear raisen conserve - and think I will make some kind of a fruit salad and also do a broccolli bacon salad with sunflower seeds.

This conversation is making me hungry, think I better go!

Mary

5 cups of salad I imagine :P

I doubt if I eat 5 cups of salad. Our 5 cup salad is made with sour cream, coconut, little marshmallows, mandarin oranges, pineapple and pecans. You're supposed to put in a cup of each, but I just mix a bunch of it together. It's my favorite sweet salad. The coconut and fruit sweeten it up and you don't need to add sugar.;)

I can get into some trouble with egg nog. Now you mention egg nog ice cream... it's the 2nd best frozen seasonal-only treat, second only to Cinnamon ice cream. Cinnamon ice cream is one of my favorites, but you can only get it about 2 months of the year.

So I have to "make due" with Chubby Hubby.

Piercedqt - the food is good! I will stick mostly to the Greek side since it's fairly rare that we put the time/effort into making the dishes. The homemade lamb gyros takes me a good 6 hours just to make, let alone cook. I just don't make that effort for the two of us. It can take me and mom a good 4 - 6 hours for a single pan of baklava, because of all the layering/brushing.

I love Baklava but can only eat a tiny portion because it's so rich. I'd like to have the recipes for all that Greek food. I love Greek food though I'm not big on lamb. My friend makes Greek bean Soup which is a major favorite around here. Yes, I agree. We should all attend your family dinner.

I really enjoyed reading this thread. It's interesting what people consider "traditional" food. We have never had mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving. We have had sweet potato casserole, but that's not my favorite thing. My friend comes over here for Thanksgiving and she used to bring fruit salad that looked like it had been through a threshing machine. She'd put a whole bunch of whipped cream on it and chow down. My fruit salad has chunks of fruit mixed with pineapple juice. If I take it to a carry-in, it goes fast. Does anyone eat rice? Rice is on my list of no-nos, but I have a rice casserole that is a killer. I take it to carry-ins and it doesn't last 5 minutes. Cornbread dressing is not like regular white bread dressing though we mix some biscuits in with it. It's looser and easier to eat. I have to admit that I don't think I'm going to be losing any weight this week, especially if that sweet potato pie turns out to be good. We always have Leseur peas because my mother likes peas with dressing. I like cranberry jelly with dressing. I used to avoid cranberry jelly like the plague until I went to a Methodist Thanksgiving dinner and they put the cranberry jelly right on top of the dressing. It was delicious. I'm also having artichoke bottoms stuffed with mushrooms and gruyere cheese. This is from my French cookbook and the mushrooms are mixed with cream cheese, gruyere, and walnuts. Then you pile that on artichoke bottoms and bake it awhile. It's really good. I'm a sucker for French food except escargots. I had a snail once when I was fairly inebriated and it tasted like a rubber band soaked in garlic. So I haven't felt the call for escargots again. I plan to eat as much of the stuff I like as possible which won't be much, and I may throw it up but it tastes pretty good the second time. I will cut VERY small bites and mix the foods so that they will go down. Luckily, I can give away a whole bunch of food to my friends so we shouldn't be drowning in leftovers for too long.

BTW, I had prime rib tonight since Mother came home from the nursing home. I ate a whole bunch of it which is amazing. I got a lot of Protein. We have a grocery store that has a "primal meat" sale twice a year and I buy a whole prime rib and have them cut it into smaller roasts. It cost me about $120 for the whole prime rib, but we'll have it for Christmas Eve dinner and throughout the winter so I think it's worth it. The primal meat sale is a big deal around here. Everyone goes to it for meat. Thank God for Reasors grocery stores.:clap2:

I really enjoyed reading this threa This is from my French cookbook and the mushrooms are mixed with cream cheese, gruyere, and walnuts. Then you pile that on artichoke bottoms and bake it awhile.

Can I come eat at your house? I like prime rib better than turkey! And the cheese salad with mushrooms!

I often make a salad with artichoke hearts, blue cheese, green pepper and whatever else I can find to toss in.

Mary