Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Just be careful you don't slip, My NP told me thats was causes a lot of peoples bands to slip is that they are too tight and don't realize that they are too tight. I have a 4cc band and I have about 2cc in mine and I feel pretty good with that. My NP won't give you a fill if you have lost 10lb or more. Just be careful. You seem to be doing awesome.

Yes, this is a great concern of mine. I feel the band has loosened, I even ate roast last night. But I was full after about 3 or 4 bites. I was at 2.2 cc's and everything was going thru the band. For some reason I have to be tighter to feel restriction, I only lost about 5 lbs since my last fill, and he looked at my under flouro and could see the liquid going right thru, so they tightened me up. Hopefully this fill will stay tight.

Question: I just had my 3rd fill on Wed., Apr 18th. I'm now at 8 cc in a 10 cc band. I did fluids Wednesday and Thursday without any problems. But by Friday, I could only eat about 3 or 4 bites at a sitting (which is no where near the 1 cup per meal that's recommended. I have a Protein Shake for Breakfast (over about a 45 min. period); solids for lunch (maybe 3/4 cup) and 2 or 3 bites of dinner before I'm in a lot of pain. I'm down to about 500-600 cals a day, and although I lost 4 lbs in 4 days, I think I'm too restricted. I'm considering a small defill... Any advice?

Ok, i need help... at least i think i do ?! i don't know that i understand what restriction feels like or what i am feeling so i'm hoping someone can explain it to me. I feel like i can eat just about anything still so i'm sure i need a second fill so i'm going back on the 9th of may... BUT, when i eat, if i don't chew really well i can feel the food stuck, but WHERE is it stuck !?!? is it getting stuck at the band, going in to my old stomach? cuz it feels like it's stuck in my throat ?? and is the pain and the slimey just helping it pass the band? and isn't that missing the point of the band? cuz i feel that awful feeling in my chest like it's stuck so i stop eating thinking that means i'm full, but then in a minute i can literally feel it going down and then i'm still hungry?!? i'm so confused !! i did so much research before getting the band and don't remember anyone explaining this part so i'm sorry in advance for the silliness of it all !! but i keep waiting to feel full and i don't !?!? i'm hungry all the time and haven't lost any weight !? i can eat a normal dinner at a sitting which is so frustrating ! ugh !!! :)

Question: I just had my 3rd fill on Wed., Apr 18th. I'm now at 8 cc in a 10 cc band. I did fluids Wednesday and Thursday without any problems. But by Friday, I could only eat about 3 or 4 bites at a sitting (which is no where near the 1 cup per meal that's recommended. I have a Protein Shake for breakfast (over about a 45 min. period); solids for lunch (maybe 3/4 cup) and 2 or 3 bites of dinner before I'm in a lot of pain. I'm down to about 500-600 cals a day, and although I lost 4 lbs in 4 days, I think I'm too restricted. I'm considering a small defill... Any advice?

My doctor told me it is very normal when you first get a fill to only be able to eat 3 or 4 bites. As time goes on, the pouch will stretch and you will be able to eat more. The key is, are you getting things stuck? If you are constantly getting things stuck and they are coming back up, then you might be too tight. Remember right after surgery, we could only eat 3 or 4 bites, but eventually was able to eat more, the same is with a new fill.

Give it a week or two, and see how it goes. If you are getting things stuck and not increasing in your food intake, time for a slight unfill.

Ok, i need help... at least i think i do ?! i don't know that i understand what restriction feels like or what i am feeling so i'm hoping someone can explain it to me. I feel like i can eat just about anything still so i'm sure i need a second fill so i'm going back on the 9th of may... BUT, when i eat, if i don't chew really well i can feel the food stuck, but WHERE is it stuck !?!? is it getting stuck at the band, going in to my old stomach? cuz it feels like it's stuck in my throat ??

It is getting stuck where the food passes thru the band into the lower stomach. Usually this is caused by too big of bites. or taking a bite too close together. The question I have for you, how much can you eat? Can you eat more than a cup of food? Are you hungry before 3 or 4 hours? These are the questions that will determine if you need a fill. Take smaller bites, and wait a minute between bites. After my 2nd fill, I had to learn this - the first fill I was able to take regular bites, but still had to take some time to chew. After the 2nd fill, I had to take smaller bites and wait between bites.

and is the pain and the slimey just helping it pass the band? and isn't that missing the point of the band? cuz i feel that awful feeling in my chest like it's stuck so i stop eating thinking that means i'm full, but then in a minute i can literally feel it going down and then i'm still hungry?!? i'm so confused !!
The slime helps the food pass thru the band. Again, the key is how much are you eating? You might need a fill. It is a learning process with the band, you will learn what it can and cannot handle. You should be eating for about 15 to 20 min and no more than a cup of food. After that, you should be full for 3 to 4 hours even up to 5. Here is what an experienced bandster told me before I was banded. She said look down at the bite of food you are eating now, after banding, and your bite will be half that size, after your first fill, it will be even half of the that size, then after the 2nd fill, even half again (about a 1/4 of regular bites - baby spoon bites). And that is so true, I'm on my 2nd fill and my bites are small.

i did so much research before getting the band and don't remember anyone explaining this part so i'm sorry in advance for the silliness of it all !! but i keep waiting to feel full and i don't !?!? i'm hungry all the time and haven't lost any weight !? i can eat a normal dinner at a sitting which is so frustrating ! ugh !!! :)

The fullness you felt BEFORE being banded, you will not feel that again, or you shouldn't because if you feel that - you're probably way overeaten and would feel miserable. You should eat until your not hungry, not full. And the previous full you felt was way down at the bottom of your stomach, now you will feel it at the upper part, so try not to strive for that "full" feeling, but strive for the "no longer hungry feeling".

We are all new at this and learning everyday, so ask questions, that is what this forum is for. I've learned a lot from experienced bandsters and so glad they are willing to share their experience and pointers with us. We will never learn if we don't ask.

Okay, I have to brag - or tell someone because I'm proud of myself. I got out of bed this morning at 5 AM and did my upper body workout. I started the 84 day (12 week) BFL (Body for Life) Challenge today. I tried to talk myself out of getting up this morning - but I didn't. I finally got up and headed to the gym. I had a good workout and feel so good.

I only have 83 more days to go.

Sad note, my scale is refusing to let me get below 190 - GRRRRR. I have had this struggle all my life, I get down to 190 - 195 and just bounce back and forth. I usually get discouraged and give up and eat then go back up to 235. Now that I have the band, I'm hoping it will allow me to get below this mark. I was 192 last week, this morning back up to 195 - damn it. Anyhow, I'm going to stay off the scales the rest of the week, and hopefully by next Monday the scale will drop again. Hopefully my BFL challenge will allow me to break this weight.

I just had to share my exciting news!

sunshine ... thanks for all the advice. I think i definitely need a fill cuz I can eat a lot more than a cup and still be hungry in 3 hours ! i just couldn't figure out what is "full" and what is "stuck" !? but after reading what you said about the bites getting smaller, i will definitely have to work on that because right now i can still eat normal bites, i feel like i haven't had the surgery, UNTIL something gets stuck ! lol ... congrats on getting out of bed this morning for the workout !!!!!

Kimi,

I understand what you're saying. I've had my second fill, and can still eat normal bites. Although, I've been alot more careful with them. I am feeling fuller quicker, which is a good thing.

However, everything, for the most part, is still going down the same. I've yet to have anything get stuck...knock on wood...and if I want (which unfortunately sometimes I do) I can still eat bread.

Other then the above, I'm doing great. I've made it down to 301lbs. That's 2 lbs from my first mini goal!!! I can't tell you the last time I weighed around this weight. Probably 7 or so years ago. I'm excited and can see that this will really work. I do think I'm starting to retain some Water, though. But that's fine with me, because I know in a couple of days it will all disappear and so will several pounds with it!

So, by the end of this week, or at the minimum, no later then the end of next week, I'll be at my first mini-goal and it will be time to set another.

Hi Everyone! It has been a long time since I've been here. My kids were on vacation from 4/10-today. We went to Disney World which was GREAT. My oldest two have been before,but my two younger ones haven't-plus, we were all there together and had a blast! The best part was when I came home and weighed myself. I LOST 3 pounds! This has never happened to me before. I did alot of walking and made good food choices. I have very little restriction if any. I'll be going for my 2nd fill on Thursday. I came back Saturday night and woke up early Sunday and went to the gym. I really missed going to the gym even though I walked alot. Anyway, I'm back and cannot wait until my second fill. Gigi

i can't wait for my 2nd fill ! hopefully it will make a difference ! i can eat bread and tortillas, though i've switched to wheat tortillas and try to stay away from bread as much as i can. but i can eat any kind of meat really as long as i don't take big bites ... i was really expecting to not be able to eat any of this after my surgery, so i will have to adjust again once i get my 2nd fill .... congrats on doing so well, chris ... keep up the good work ... the payoff is getting closer !!!

Hi Everyone! It has been a long time since I've been here. My kids were on vacation from 4/10-today. We went to Disney World which was GREAT. My oldest two have been before,but my two younger ones haven't-plus, we were all there together and had a blast! The best part was when I came home and weighed myself. I LOST 3 pounds! This has never happened to me before. I did alot of walking and made good food choices. I have very little restriction if any. I'll be going for my 2nd fill on Thursday. I came back Saturday night and woke up early Sunday and went to the gym. I really missed going to the gym even though I walked alot. Anyway, I'm back and cannot wait until my second fill. Gigi

That is GREAT - to go on vacation and still LOSE weight! Congratulations and it sounds like you had a great vacation. I can't wait until my vacation August 4th (106 days to go and counting!)

Hey all, I just posted my 'progress pictures' on before and after. I'm still a work in progress. I don't like the double posting...so I figured I'd do a 'heads up' post instead! :)

Tonya! You are doing great!

I know it's going slower for some. I'm in the middle... Just remember, any lose is great, and the slower it comes off the better. In the end it will completely be worth it. Granted it may take some of us longer to get there. I know I'll be one of them, because I started at a much higher bmi then most of you.

Hey all, I just posted my 'progress pictures' on before and after. I'm still a work in progress. I don't like the double posting...so I figured I'd do a 'heads up' post instead! :)

I just saw your pics! Amazing results in just 2 mos, congrats!

Tonya! You are doing great!

I know it's going slower for some. I'm in the middle... Just remember, any lose is great, and the slower it comes off the better. In the end it will completely be worth it. Granted it may take some of us longer to get there. I know I'll be one of them, because I started at a much higher bmi then most of you.

I keep telling myself that, I keep saying next January I will be a whole new person. I lost fast in the beginning with the pre-op diet and all, so now it is going slower for me. I'm really not too worried about it, I just want out of the 190's and then I can hang in the 180's for awhile. I guess for me its a test to see if I can get out of the 190's, once I'm out of the 190's, I know the lap band works. I'm playing mind games with myself I guess. lol.

I know I will have a stall the next few weeks because I'm changing my eating habits to go with the Body For Life plan. So, I'll be eating more frequently, not necessarily more, but more often I guess. So we will see what happens, I'm going to stay off the scales and only weigh on Mondays.