Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sudden stop in weight loss with low calorie intake.

This is what I took from the article & ran with:

1. Reduce sodium from packaged/ processed foods

2. Drink 6-8 liters of Water

3. Do only low intensity cardio

4. Increase caloric intake

5. Do a carb refeed. (Every 4 or 5 days) 4 sets x 15 sets per body part to deplete glycogen stores. Then increase carbs with fast burning carbs gonna start with 100 grams.

I checked with my Bariatric Dr & she said 100 grams is plenty to refeed a sleeve.

Hope this helps you like it has helped me!

Kristie

So has anyone else tried this? can you share your story? I'm going to try it.

This is EXACTLY the kind of information I was in need of, thank you!! I am going to cut out salt/sodium, drink a $h!t ton of Water and eat my carbs after my work out and see what happens :)

I just want to let everyone know, if you follow this advice, it works!! I'm already down 5 pounds in 3 days since starting this. And I am at TOM.

Thanks again for posting this! I'll let y'all know how this goes long term for me.

what exactly did you do?

Lyle McDonald has several great books out regarding refeeds and carb cycling. I've worked with him a few times and made great gains and lost a good amount of weight. I'm anxious to get back on normal foods to start running through his programs again. Most carb refeeds you see these days are branched off of what he started.

I'm truly interested in the carb "refeed" thingy. I'm freaked totally out about carbs because all the surgeon, nut, etc tell you is no/low carb. I went on a carb binge for a few months and regained about 13 lbs. Now low carbing and NOT losing much so interested in HOW I should and WHAT i should do to "reset" or something to that effect. Because low carb is not producing much weight loss and I'm sure a lot is the amount of sodium that I am imbibing through processed foods (meats etc) Anybody else out there have info on how to really do it right?

Success 2013, what does this mean?

5. Do a carb refeed. (Every 4 or 5 days) 4 sets x 15 sets per body part to deplete glycogen stores. Then increase carbs with fast burning carbs gonna start with 100 grams.

Success 2013' date=' what does this mean?

5. Do a carb refeed. (Every 4 or 5 days) 4 sets x 15 sets per body part to deplete glycogen stores. Then increase carbs with fast burning carbs gonna start with 100 grams.[/quote']

I eat less than 50 carbs on regular days. Then on refeed day, I will go to the gym & do 4 sets of 15 reps per body part & increase my carbs on that day to 100. This refeeds the glycogen stores that I deplete when I hit the gym hard. It helps prevent me from puffing up with Water gain.

Kristie

I eat less than 50 carbs on regular days. Then on refeed day' date=' I will go to the gym & do 4 sets of 15 reps per body part & increase my carbs on that day to 100. This refeeds the glycogen stores that I deplete when I hit the gym hard. It helps prevent me from puffing up with Water gain.

Kristie[/quote']

Very very interesting. Thank you for the info.

Question....

I have been experimenting with carb loading the day of cross fit because I know the WOD will deplete the glycogen levels. Not sure how much to do yet. I think my current experimentation puts the carbs around 50. I eat some energy squares in the morning and then a amrap bar (about 17 carb of raw honey) after the cross fit.

However, my big question is should I do this also on the days when I am running a 10 k? Running a 10 k is not as challenging (to me) as a Crossfit WOD (HIIT for 30 min) and lifting, but I can see how running for an hour will also deplete glycogen stores.

A little confused about this. Should I be eating more carbs every day aim exercising because the glycogen stores essentially get depleted daily? Note I also take pre workout drinks and creatine to help with opening up the muscles before, during and after a workout for oxygen, nutrients and Water.< /p>

Thanks for a response.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I am not a big runner but my understanding is that many runners do carb load on days they run.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/536766-how-much-protein-carbs-do-runners-need/

I was struggling with Water retention so I began trying the methods explained in the article.

Honestly' date=' I'm not sure. I am not a big runner but my understanding is that many runners do carb load on days they run.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/536766-how-much-protein-carbs-do-runners-need/

I was struggling with Water retention so I began trying the methods explained in the article.

[/quote']

Cool-thx. I always like the articles on live strong.com. OK, the articles says men should eat 3200 calories a day or their performance will be limited. It is also saying I need to eat approximately 800 carb a day for my weight ( did the calc quickly in my head). That is going to be darn difficult!! I am trying just to break 1500 calories and 50 carb a day in healthy food. Maybe I need to go find a personal dietician who can help with this (different from my WLS NUT because frankly I do not think she would approve).

Cool-thx. I always like the articles on live strong.com. OK' date=' the articles says men should eat 3200 calories a day or their performance will be limited. It is also saying I need to eat approximately 800 carb a day for my weight ( did the calc quickly in my head). That is going to be darn difficult!! I am trying just to break 1500 calories and 50 carb a day in healthy food. Maybe I need to go find a personal dietician who can help with this (different from my WLS NUT because frankly I do not think she would approve).[/quote']

I would definitely get advice from the NUT cause these numbers are for "normal" people & my understanding is that because we have been overweight, our bodies do not & cannot function at the levels people who have never been fat do.

Cool-thx. I always like the articles on live strong.com. OK' date=' the articles says men should eat 3200 calories a day or their performance will be limited. It is also saying I need to eat approximately 800 carb a day for my weight ( did the calc quickly in my head). That is going to be darn difficult!! I am trying just to break 1500 calories and 50 carb a day in healthy food. Maybe I need to go find a personal dietician who can help with this (different from my WLS NUT because frankly I do not think she would approve).[/quote']

Hey fiddle...I will say and days before my long run, I do carb load. Yes, I make them healthy carbs. The body really needs them when going for distance. You're doing cross fit and running so you're burning some serious calories, muscle is burning a ton when youre at rest, so they are not going to mess with you too much, if at all. (If I remember correctly, you're at maintenance or close to, right?)

For example, I will eat a few more carbs at lunch and dinner the day before. I split them up because obviously, my sleeve doesn't allow for bigger portions. The day of, for Breakfast I will throw a handful of uncooked oats in with my Protein shake, about 1 1/2-2 hours before the run.

Everyone is different, but hopefully it gives a different view and you can take what you need and throw out the rest. :)

Last night I ran a quick 10 minutes on the treadmill to warm up then lifted - upper and lower body, for about 30 minutes, followed by yoga/pilates strength training (down dogs, planks, scissors, etc) followed by mashing out the muscles. Today I am a bloated sausage! My puffy little fingers can barely type, every piece of clothing that touches my skin feels like a sausage casing! And no, it isn't TOM. Yesterday I had some strawberries, a Protein Shake, Soup chicken soup some baked chicken and half a Protein Bar.< /p>

Last night I ran a quick 10 minutes on the treadmill to warm up then lifted - upper and lower body' date=' for about 30 minutes, followed by yoga/pilates strength training (down dogs, planks, scissors, etc) followed by mashing out the muscles. Today I am a bloated sausage! My puffy little fingers can barely type, every piece of clothing that touches my skin feels like a sausage casing! And no, it isn't TOM. Yesterday I had some strawberries, a Protein shake, Soup chicken soup some baked chicken and half a Protein bar.[/quote']

Nice workout!

Perhaps you are not drinking enough to supports the needs of your WOD (workout of the day for other readers)? Also the air temperature and humidity may have caused you to lose more Water through sweating especially if the workout was pretty intense. Make sure you are staying well hydrated in order for your body to let go of some of the Water at night while you are sleeping. Your body needs so much water to support each lb of lean muscle as the muscles are depleted of glycogen after a hard workout.

Here is a good resource that describes water requirements for before, during and after a workout based upon body weight:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/qt/How-Much-Water-Should-You-Drink.htm

I am trying just to drink pretty much all the time I am not eating during my waking hours. Always filling my 32 oz bottle. I am still a big water flavor person even 10 months out as I have lost my pre op desire for drinking large amounts of tap water without flavor.

One thing I need to work on is drinking during a workout. Hardly do. I think it is just because I do not have a good habit formed. On my running day when i do about 10 k in an hour, i am not drinking during the run. On my non running day WOD is really intense, drinking during a WOD is something I REALLY need to work on. For example, yesterday I did the following in 70-80 F weather:

Warm up:

500 m row ( about 2 min / 500 m)

20 air squats

20 push ups

20 pull ups

20 v-ups

20 sit ups

WOD:

2 mile fast run ( 12 min)

20 squats @ 75 lb ( 2 min)

1 mile fast run (5 min 30 sec)

8 squats @ 75 lb (1 min)

.5 mile run (3 min)

3 squats @ 75 lb (30 sec)

My PT is yelling at me to keep going at the end of each step and I am struggling. I keep going with intensity though.

15 minute AMRAP (as many sets as possible for other readers):

1 minute plank

10 v-ups

15 sit ups ( fingers above head and to toes)

20 sit ups with 15 lb medicine ball (weight above head and to toes)

I did 8 sets of these AMRAPs (after the WOD) and was on the floor after afterwards on my back huffing and puffing.

The heat kind of got to me and my squats suffered in between the running during the WOD. If had been drinking water during the WOD, the number of squats may have been better. Not sure. Something for me to work on. I find it hard to drink during the WOD as my PT will not let me stop for it. She did let me stop for a drink in between the warm up, the WOD and the 15 minute AMRAP.

Honestly I feel a little like a cold today and sore, but am planning a 10 k run min morning. Today is my 37th b-day and I am in the best shape of my life. Down 170 lb from my last b-day and @ 17% body fat.

Holy $h!t balls man, that's a lot of exercise! How many calories are you taking in? I'm getting a wee bit frustrated because the example of my workout I listed about is what I do every day (I change it up a little) and at 750 cals I haven't lost a pound in 2 weeks :/ My Water could definitely be better, I'm probably only getting about 48 oz a day.

I know everyone hates when I say this, so I'll just say it once and then shut my gluten-free pie-hole...

I think you can't sustain weight loss or good health on 750 cals per day. Anything under 1000 is just too little.

Kthx for listening. The end. :rolleyes: