Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started slow. A fancy glass of wine while organizing my closet' date=' a glass while watching a favorite tv show. All of a sudden it was an everyday occurance got up to 2 bottles a night. Also gave me a feroious appetite. Ended up gaining 8#. Being in the health care industry every pang of pain I thought I was getting pancreatitis. Had to stop. Did not like the decisions I made, can't remember conversations I had when I was drinking. It just was not good. I'm on my 3rd full week no alcohol. Feels good to sleep deeply at night, and wake refreshed. I've lost 5 # also. My problem was realized in August. Hoping to stay sober forever and that means for me NO alcohol. Good Luck with what you choose. I never thought I would be a drunk. NO WAY.[/quote']

Thank you so much for sharing that. Addiction transference is common, and alcohol is an unfortunate part of most people's social lives, making it hard to avoid, and even resulting in situations like the young woman who started this thread is in.

Nobody who is scared of becoming addicted at the start gets addicted. It's a slippery slope with life-destroying consequences in many cases.

Donewithdieting, you are amazing and brave for recognizing what was going on and wanting better for yourself. I hope I'm able to do the same thing post op. Best of luck :)

And I was the child of an alcoholic, but I still did my share of binge drinking in college. I know the pressure, and I hope you are able to sidestep it. To me it is just too great of a threat to my new life to ever take another sip, even if not everybody gets addicted. That's an enabling thought.

I had my first drink 7 weeks out on Christmas Day. Had a glass of wine and felt no pain or ill effects. Since then I have stuck to wine on special occasions (it's summer and silly season over here at months) and I had 1 naughty night just over 3 months where I drunk a bottle of wine and 2x vodka cran's with a friend i hadnt seen in years and went clubbing. I cant drink fast and sip throughout the evening. I get tipsy but not drunk. For your first night I say just have 1 or 2. You need to test the waters as you don't know how your body will react.

Am 6 day out I know I don't need to hear it but it was my best friend birthday n I had a chillis margarita n it went down fine I got a little buzzed didnt last long n I survived didnt hurt or anything I would suggest Water n vodka thou n I will not drink till I can eat full foods again

Am 6 day out I know I don't need to hear it but it was my best friend birthday n I had a chillis margarita n it went down fine I got a little buzzed didnt last long n I survived didnt hurt or anything I would suggest Water n vodka thou n I will not drink till I can eat full foods again

U r brave! Lol...I'm three weeks today and plan on taking my first drink the wknd of 4/26 for a friends Bday in DC, hope it goes well

I don't drink a lot (a couple a week) and I do feel like I will have a mourning period. My only comment is to be careful.

My good friend who had the sleeve learned pretty quickly he could drink vodka - chose it straight so no extra calories but he also learned - in his words - it anesthetized his stomach - he could eat anything because he couldn't feel it.

Set him back six months. He's back on track now.

Alcohol hits me much faster, and I can go from what feels like "OK" to being "plastered" in a half a drink. If I have two drinks over several hours, I am OK. A third drink is too much for me. The line between OK and too much happens very quickly.

If you are going to a bar, talk to the bartender and request that you don't get drinks brought to you if someone buys a round. Most bars have free-drink chips you can get instead. I found that I would drink 1 drink for every 3 drinks others with me would have. Most of the time, my first drink will get warm before I can finish it. If I was with a group that buys rounds, I would have a stack of unfinished drinks quickly if I didn't say something to the bartender.

I also mixed up my drinks. I really like getting a glass of Water with a shot of cranberry juice in it (no alcohol). It looks like a mixed drink, so I don't get harassed for being a stick in the mud, and it helps me control what I'm drinking. Another option is Tomato juice, which most bars have or a virgin bloody mary.

I started with a low-calorie beer. I had Bud Select 55. I couldn't drink more than two my first time I tried. I think I actually had 3 beers, but I didn't finish the first two before they became warm. Most of the people with me probably had 8 to 10 beers in the time it took me to drink two.

I've found mixed drinks hit me harder in part because I can't control how much a "shot" is, and it varies between bartenders. I don't drink shots.

2 beers is my limit. I have tried to drink 3, but the third just wont go down

Anyone get the runs after a night of drinking?

it clears me out better than milk of magnesia! Lol