Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dehydration long term & dizziness anyone?

I am 16 months out (perhaps I should not call myself a vet, sorry!), and shared the symptoms with a VSG friend of feeling off balance for days to a week on end after having alcohol. We deduced this must be dehydration! I notice I am prone to this off balance feeling if I am even slightly dehydrated now, and the effects take awhile to go away. It's not your typical "room spinning" dizziness, but rather feeling off balance, like you're walking on a boat or in a plane- more like an equilibrium issue.

I post this in here, because I did not suffer dehydration early on, and I'm wondering if other vets encountered these weird balance issues, and what has worked for you!

I will add those both me and my friend have "normal" blood work- Protein was great, no anemia, Vitamin deficiencies, including thiamine and B-12.

Anyone else suffer this after dehydration or drinking alcohol? Any other theories?

How odd. I was going to suggest B12 right off the bat, until you mentioned that was in range. Still, try taking a multi B-complex before you drink next time and see how you feel. I don't think it's just dehydration, because that would correct the following day when you increase your Water intake.

Are either of you on any medications?

How is your blood sugar?

Interesting. You didnt mention your hydration efforts, do you get your Water in? I still have to work at it!

I am 9 months post op and just in the last month I have been dealing with dizzy spells quite a bit. Mine mimic the symptoms of orthostatic hypotension...I get light headed when I stand up too quickly. However, several bp tests have shown no drop in bp while standing. I had all my blood work done and I showed no signs of dehydration nor any deficiencies..including B12. The only thing they did find was my resting heart rate was very low (mid 40's). I run and workout daily, and that could explain the low heart rate for some people. It's generally not a problem unless you're also having dizzy spells, as I am. As of now, I have seen 3 different docs, had several EKG's, a carotid ultrasound, an echocardiogram, had my hearing checked, worn a holter monitor, and nothing has been found. Still looking into it. I did up my Water intake hoping that was the problem, and I started religiously logging my liquid intake again, as well as my dizzy spells. It seems to have helped, but hasn't eliminated the problem. About the only thing that helps for me is standing up slowly....like I always did when I was 400 lbs because it hurt too much to stand up quickly.

I get dizzy often too. My blood pressure is low and my PCP attributes my dizziness with my blood pressure. Asked me how much Water I was getting and when I told him, he flinched, like I was drinking too much. He told me to increase my sodium intake. I did a little, but decided I really didn't want to do that because I'm already a big salt user. Yesterday I had appointment with PCP and she wasn't even concerned with my blood pressure. It wa a little lower than previous appointments with my other PCP. She told me I had the blood pressure of a 15 year old....... :) Hang in there and if you have been drinking alcohol, remember to increase your water intake to cleanse your body of the toxins....... Cheers to everyone! :)

Glad to hear back from others with similar issues! My psychologist gave me the feedback that he thought balance issues after extreme weight loss were quite common- apparently a reduction in adipose tissue changes a lot more than size, and drastically effects how you respond to what you put in (or don't put in!) your body.

Though you can remedy dehydration rapidly, the symptoms seem to stay for quite a while- even over a week.

My only rationale after finding I have a normal blood panel is that perhaps the body is extremely sensitive to having its Fluid levels depleted- especially from something that works from the "inside" like alcohol.

I have explored everything short of seeing a nuerologist (not cheap with my insurance!) but it seems to me if a lot of VSG patients experience these issues but have no off lab results, it's likely something that hopefully is temporary, related to the weight loss, and will not be a chronic issue.

I am 9 months post op and just in the last month I have been dealing with dizzy spells quite a bit. Mine mimic the symptoms of orthostatic hypotension...I get light headed when I stand up too quickly. However' date=' several bp tests have shown no drop in bp while standing. I had all my blood work done and I showed no signs of dehydration nor any deficiencies..including B12. The only thing they did find was my resting heart rate was very low (mid 40's). I run and workout daily, and that could explain the low heart rate for some people. It's generally not a problem unless you're also having dizzy spells, as I am. As of now, I have seen 3 different docs, had several EKG's, a carotid ultrasound, an echocardiogram, had my hearing checked, worn a holter monitor, and nothing has been found. Still looking into it. I did up my Water intake hoping that was the problem, and I started religiously logging my liquid intake again, as well as my dizzy spells. It seems to have helped, but hasn't eliminated the problem. About the only thing that helps for me is standing up slowly....like I always did when I was 400 lbs because it hurt too much to stand up quickly.[/quote']

Wow, you have been through quite a few tests. It could be an electrolyte imbalance from all the running you do. Perhaps more Gatorade or pedialite to increase the electrolytes? What is your blood pressure? Mine is 100 / 70 and my resting heart rate is 50. I too get the vertigo when standing up, but just ignore it for now because it usually works itself after a couple seconds.

Wow, you have been through quite a few tests. It could be an electrolyte imbalance from all the running you do. Perhaps more Gatorade or pedialite to increase the electrolytes? What is your blood pressure? Mine is 100 / 70 and my resting heart rate is 50. I too get the vertigo when standing up, but just ignore it for now because it usually works itself after a couple seconds.

Fiddleman, that's exactly what happens to me. I wouldn't call mine vertigo as it was explained to me that vertigo is more like the room spinning. Mine is more like a nail being driven right between my eyes, like my eyes are crossed. It goes away after 2 or 3 seconds, and if I just remember to get up slowly I can prevent it. My last BP measurement was 116/68. But I do get white coat syndrome so it's always higher immediately when I get to the docs office. If they wait 10 minutes and check it again it will be lower. My resting pulse is anywhere from 42-46. Several docs and nurses have seem quite amazed over that. I'm told it's normal for highly conditioned athletes but I guess I still don't look like one of those...lol.

One thing that troubles me is the off the cuff suggestions you get from different physicians about what might resolve the problem. The cardiologist told me (without the benefit of any blood tests) that with the amount of exercise I do and all the Water I drink it could be an electrolyte imbalance. His suggestion....drink a sprite every day. Seriously? Of all the ways I could think of to increase sodium intake, a sprite is not the first thing that pops to mind. Not to mention, he failed to take into account my former sugar and carb addicted lifestyle and how I refuse to go back to that. Then he suggested a pacemaker...again...wow. Now he wants to treat the symptom (low heart rate) before he's even sure it's the cause of the problem (dizziness). Tomorrow I go to get my eyes examined and get a brain MRI. Perhaps one of those will shed some light. At this point, my wife is suggesting I do like you and just ignore it....but I feel too invested to quit now...especially after they have scared me into thinking it's my ticker.

Sounds like the vagus nerve. I would do some research on that and ask your cardiologist about it.

Sounds like the vagus nerve. I would do some research on that and ask your cardiologist about it.

I usually get the ol' Vagus nerve response when I eat too quickly ( which I STILL do). Although this is while still seated. He gets the "trip" only after standing up which could be an inner ear imbalance issue too.

I got comments during my recent gallbladder surgery scare about my low blood pressure and low heart rate...until they actually started physically looking at me. Despite my weight (still obese), I am extremely muscular, which the doctors believe accounts for the "symptoms". Overall, my health is fantastic, so I'll be continuing my exercise routine. I have no worries about my blood pressure or heart rate, but I'd be worried if I were experiencing the dizziness that you are all having.

Glad to hear you are doing good Lissa, I remember seeing you on here when you were much bigger! :)

It's weird to experience the feeling of your equilibrium being off (I put it this way, because it's not your traditional room spinning dizziness), but considering that my VSG friend shares the symptoms, all of our labs are normal and no doctor thinks we have anything seriously wrong with us- I find some odd comfort in the notion that a few doctors and friends have given me, is that the body adjusts in mysterious ways, and on a cellular level so many of us VSG patients are completely different people. I've dropped over 10 points on my BMI, which isn't much compared to some!

I'll share all the info I get that has helped me or given me insight, as it seems like others experience some dizziness and balance issues too, and I think knowledge is power.

Things that have helped: water! Increasing my hydration seems to be the most important part, but it takes a while after treating and recognizing that I was dehydrated or drinking alcohol to be symptom free. Acupuncture: I'm fortunate enough to work with a experienced Chinese medicine practicioner, and this has made my symptoms seems to go away sooner.

Also, I'll add that it's quite easy to become a hypochondriac when you are feeling dizzy or off balance: stop it! Panicing and worrying that you are deficient or have a brain tumor or something serious will only make you go nuts. There are countless things that can make a person dizzy- get a physical, a full metabolic panel, and check all your B Vitamins as these are related to balance. VSG is an amazing surgery and typically does not result in deficiencies if you are eating a supplementing properly. Beyond that, a basic neurological exam from your PCP will show if there is anything alarming. Pay attention to your hydration and protein- but don't go nuts. I do not think anyone in normal climate needs to exceed 100 ounces a day.

Good Morning All,

Butterthebean, have you had your potassium level checked? Just sayin'...in November when I was one year out, I got dehydrated and did not know it. Had been taking potassium the whole time but, my body was not absorbing it well. I did a face plant, stopped breathing and ended up in ER. They put me on liquid supplement. Prior to my surgery over the last 20 years, I have been hospitalized for vertigo, and have had bouts on and off since that time. You will know if you ever have it. And I pray, that day never comes for anyone.

Anyway, maybe with all the tests if they add that one would be an option. Of course, hydration is key. You are so active, perhaps to Lissa's point your muscles need more water/Gatorade to keep you going and balanced.

Do keep us posted, while I have not been as active on the site, I do check back in here because this site with all the wonderful support is what helped me get on with my journey and it has been incredible!

Best

I actually resolved my issue by increasing my Water intake. I started logging my Fluid intake and realized it was not as high as I thought. So I got it back up to 128oz per day of water with some propel zero mixed in 2-3 times per day and my dizzy spells ceased to exist.

128 oz!! Oh my, how do you manage that?