Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters

After my last post I got to wondering how much we influence each other so I started a poll. Check it out and vote.

Gerbera - my nutrionist says 1/2 cup - as does the doc. The reason being that thats the size of the pouch and right now without the restriction of a fill we can eat more because its going on down into the large part of the stomach. I know I eat more then a half cup but really try to limit myself. Also with the Water - which is why I called the dr about this issue - I found I could guzzle a large glass of Water if I wanted to but they said even tho the water is going right through the port this is not going to be the case after we are filled. That we need to develope new habits and we should start now before we get that kind of restriction.

Every doctor is different and why is the unanswerable question. Like Ibreham staying on liquids another 2 weeks - actually getting a fill while he's still on liquids. Thats way different then my dr, I had liquids 2 weeks, soft foods 2 weeks and regular foods these 2 weeks - he will not do a fill until you are at least 6 weeks out and then when I asked him if I needed to be on liquids before the fill he said no - he said eat Breakfast and then my fill is scheduled for 1pm and he said whatever was in the pouch will be gone by then, and if I understood him correctly I will be able to leave and go have lunch. All that said my point is after reading everyones proceedures I don't think theres an exact right or wrong, although we may think our dr is the best so does everyone else. Just try to obey his orders. Alot of times easier said then done.

StephC: Thanks so much for that information. My Dr like yours follows up after 5-6 weeks post surgery, it's then I assume he does the fills. I will listen to my body if and when I get a fill and err on the cautious side and go with fluids if and when I get a fill. Besides I discovered an amazing Soup (a concoction I created) and its sooooo yummy, I'm addicted. I'm missing it and looking forward to when I can have it again. 10 more days till I see the Dr. I'm alternating between mushies and Soups and shakes still. I kinda really like this place I'm in food wise, so many exciting choices, I count the days till I can have a particular thing. I think also, I love to cook and prior to surgery, I got caught in the fast food regime and now, I'm sooooooooo loving my home cooked meals & preparations. Anything takeaway (takeout) does not interest me at all. This band really has changed my life. I still work hard to be concsious of what I make, cook and eat (making sure it's all low fat etc). Anyway I've side tracked Sorry (giggle) I will follow my Dr's instructions and I agree they are all so different at when you can stop liquids and go to food and when they do fills etc. Obey you say Hmmmmmm not one of my strong points, but I will follow his instructions LOL

oh oh oh oh By The Way, I tried the Burrito (tortilla) last night Ohhhhhhhhh YUM did I enjoy that and my stomache tolerated the salad and the tortilla bread fine. However I did chew chew chew, to ensure I wouldnt have any problems. I managed a mini tortilla bread with, the ground beef mixture, finely diced tomatoe, some tdziki sauce (yoghurt and cucumber) and finely shredded lettuce Mmmmm. One was more than enough :)

CHEERS to all Happy Healthy Eating :)

Oh if I can find where the vote poll is, I'll check it out. I get so lost in this forum, sometimes I read things, but never know how to get back to where I was to reply hahaaaa

Tonight was my first meal out in over a month. A first for me! I looked over the menu and found a great tomato-basil Soup and ordered a cup of it. Then- for the first time in 6 weeks I had real carbs: mashed potatoes!!! I ended up eating half of each and brought the rest home. Not much protein- which I feel now five hours later- but a nice change of pace. Tomorrow I'll finish off the food, but I'll add some plain Protein Powder to it. Oh- and best of all, I didn't drink! I was so tempted for a glass of wine, but I didn't and I am proud of myself. Yeah me!

Hey Ladies (and gents if there are any of you here)....

This thread is really long!! I was thinking maybe we should start a Jan Chat for Dec Bandsters?? What do you think??

Siyah (well, really Siyah's "mom") - nice job on the eating out. I've been avoiding it a bit since good greasy restaurant food is one of my downfalls - I'll have to keep an eye out for good soups!

Kirsten - I was thinking the same thing - might be good to start a new thread each month so it's "manageable" but I'm fine here, too (how's that for non-committal!) :)

Annie

I was asked to eat out with my parents tonight. Whew! Two nights in a row for dining out. They took me to this great seafood place. In order to combat the menu, I planned ahead. I checked on-line to find the best choices for seafood and left the house knowing I'd either get a light fish or crab. I ended up with a whole dungeness crab on my plate with a few potatoes and brocolli. I only ended up eating the crab and it took an hour to eat it. In all, I figure I ate 8 ounces and that was still under 300 calories. I sampled a small bite of potatoe, but was content with the crab. mom ordered this white chocolate mousse cake and I had a few little bites. (My first sugar in a month.) Oh well. We all need our little "cheats" sometimes to feel human. I think I'm still doing pretty well. I finished the day under 900 calories, so no harm done.

Happy weekend all!

OK- so I still can't figure out how to post a new thread. Where do I go and what do I do? Help!

StephC: Thanks so much for that information. My Dr like yours follows up after 5-6 weeks post surgery, it's then I assume he does the fills.

Actually my doctor has seen me every 2 weeks. Thank goodness he's just 20 minutes away. I had surgery on a mon. went in Thurs. because my tape was falling off and he just wanted to make sure they were ok. Then at 2 weeks I saw him just so he could tell me to advance to soft foods, then again at 4 weeks so he could tell me to advance to regular foods. Now at 6 weeks will be my fill.

I've eaten out a few times. Yesterday we went to a place that had a salad bar with Soup. Then I ordered chicken tenders for an appetizer, I ate one and hubby at the other 3. I had a small salad, 1/2 cup of soup and my chicken. Eating out is definitely possible. I am anxious to see how I feel about eating out when I get my fill.

Isn't it great to know that we can eat out and not eat like pigs!???

The second week after my surgery was xmas week and my family was visiting so we ate out a few times....each time I'd just get a cup of Soup and watch everyone else chow down and I was totally satisfied!! Now that i'm able to eat real foods, I typically still get something like soup or chilli, but if I'm at a seafood place, I'll get seafood b/c I know it's low calorie, high Protein and good for me!

I'm going to go start a new thread called: December Bandsters in Jan....so go look for us over there!

Actually my doctor has seen me every 2 weeks. Thank goodness he's just 20 minutes away. I had surgery on a mon. went in Thurs. because my tape was falling off and he just wanted to make sure they were ok. Then at 2 weeks I saw him just so he could tell me to advance to soft foods, then again at 4 weeks so he could tell me to advance to regular foods. Now at 6 weeks will be my fill.

I've eaten out a few times. Yesterday we went to a place that had a salad bar with Soup. Then I ordered chicken tenders for an appetizer, I ate one and hubby at the other 3. I had a small salad, 1/2 cup of Soup and my chicken. Eating out is definitely possible. I am anxious to see how I feel about eating out when I get my fill.

StephC: Sadly I never found your vote site sorry, I'm noy very good with some pc stuff.I really didn'y know what I was looking for.

My Dr is only 10 minutes away, but said when I left the hospital, I've made an appointment for you and will see you in 5 weeks. I'm just so grateful I found this website for support and answers to my questions :)

Siyah: I'm so pleased your first meal out was such a good experience.

I went out to eat for the first time on Saturday Night. A group of 14 girls from work all decided to go out for Karaoke and a meal first. My expereince was not a good experience & I'll ring the Manager today.

I first wanted to order Spaghetti from the childrens Menu, they said we have to charge you as a mainmeal, I argued that I only wanted a childrens serve, still they wanted to charge me a main meal price, so I then chose from the main menu and chose an entree. Again thay wanted to charge me extra for salad bar etc. I said I didnt want the salad bar. In the end I had a gf order my entree (garlic prawns) with her main meal. It seems its impossible to get JUST an entree (without paying a full meal price) if your not having a main meal. NOT HAPPY hahaa. I'll complain to management today. Who was it that said we come under the disability act? Now I can see why.

CHEERS to all Happy Healthy Eating :)

Siyah: I'm so pleased your first meal out was such a good experience.

I went out to eat for the first time on Saturday Night. A group of 14 girls from work all decided to go out for Karaoke and a meal first. My expereince was not a good experience & I'll ring the Manager today.

I first wanted to order Spaghetti from the childrens Menu, they said we have to charge you as a mainmeal, I argued that I only wanted a childrens serve, still they wanted to charge me a main meal price, so I then chose from the main menu and chose an entree. Again thay wanted to charge me extra for salad bar etc. I said I didnt want the salad bar. In the end I had a gf order my entree (garlic prawns) with her main meal. It seems its impossible to get JUST an entree (without paying a full meal price) if your not having a main meal. NOT HAPPY hahaa. I'll complain to management today. Who was it that said we come under the disability act? Now I can see why.

CHEERS to all Happy Healthy Eating :o

Someone on this site said their Dr. gave them a card explaining that they were banded so they could order from the children's menu. I'll have to ask my Dr. about that. It seems we could even make our own and have the Dr. sign it or stamp it with the office logo or something. How frustrating for you! I guess my thinking was that I'd just order the full size meal and take 2/3's home. I suppose just ordering an appetizer would work, too.

I have a card. I haven't had to use it yet but I'm carrying it in my wallet. I haven't had a problem ordering salad bar and appetizer.

Just wanted to make sure any December bandsters who haven't been on lately know that most of us are posting in the December bandsters in February thread. Seems easier to keep up. :P