Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dehydration and when to go to the hospital

Lol, thanks Laura. I think we were sleeved around the same time as well. My Fluid intake sucks but other than that it's been smooth sailing for the most part

Girl it's also me being selfish!!!!!

my husband works the ER and he is supposed to be home by four which never happens!! So I told him not to see any patients after three o'clock :P

Super Bowl GO NINERS :)

Girl it's also me being selfish!!!!!

my husband works the ER and he is supposed to be home by four which never happens!! So I told him not to see any patients after three o'clock :P

Super Bowl GO NINERS :)

Go Seahawks!!! OH yeah, they didn't make it. :(

Super Bowl party here in t minus 1 hour. Can't wait!

And just for the record, I am eating chicken meatballs even though I am surrounded by the usual Super Bowl grub and drink. Oh woe is me. ;) the life of a Sleever that continues to host parties.

I'm laying back with a straw permanently attached to my mouth. Sipping constantly. Hopefully today will fix me

I told my husband I should just wear his "camelback" so I could sip all day! You may get people telling you now not to use a straw because of swallowing air and such. But I think if it helps you at this point go for it:)

Go Seahawks!!! OH yeah' date=' they didn't make it. :(

Super Bowl party here in t minus 1 hour. Can't wait!

And just for the record, I am eating chicken meatballs even though I am surrounded by the usual Super Bowl grub and drink. Oh woe is me. ;) the life of a Sleever that continues to host parties.[/quote']

Fiddleman I will be eating hummus and jicama!

And maybe a shake at some point but I like the meatball idea!

Fiddleman I will be eating hummus and jicama!

And maybe a shake at some point but I like the meatball idea!

No straw got me according to the doctor . Had no fat refried Beans mixed with some homemade sloppy joe meat with some Greek yogurt and lowfat Mexican cheese on it. Couldn't eat very much but it was yummy , ate before the game .

If you think u are dehydrated and keep down liquids I strongly recommend going to er I did this week and they kept me for 3 days it was so worth it I feel better but still throwing up but not as bad I sure hope things get better

I feel like a big old Scrooge for this upsetting me and excuse it if you can - but this isn't a light topic and probably we should focus on the issue at hand. I went through a dehydration issue with a family member who was certainly getting more than 4-8 ozs a day, but still by the time I got her to go to the hospital she was in kidney failure due to the dehydration. She remained in the hospital for weeks trying to get her kidneys to function properly.

My brother was present for part of the time - he is a physician. The problem is that all of those tricks for assessing dehydration at home turn out to be pretty ineffective. Skin pinching, looking at the tongue, looking at the pee - it's a crapshoot and you could be in real trouble.

Also, when your kidneys start to fail you lose your judgement and start to have confusion than can present very subtly. You won't recognize it and the people around you may not either - even those who are looking out for problems!

So, watch the Superbowl, eat what you want, I am going to continue to feel like a Scrooge and say quit messing around with something that can be so serious and get some help.

I'm confused, so then how do you know when you're dehydrated? If you can't rely on any at home methods of checking?

If your mucus membranes are dry...

Lack of peeing a regular "good" amount.

And sorry the skin "turgor" test, kinda like Fiddleman said but on the arm...

I have a runny nose, I never pee much, and should I grab just the skin? Or fat and skin? Or what?

Just the skin..my husband just got home he said if you go to the ER they will probably give you fluids regardless... So maybe you should go!

I'm proud of you drinking 32oz today though!!

I think regardless 32 oz is a good amount. How long do IVs take? Maybe I'll get one before wrk tomorrow