Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op diet messed up

Messed up on Pre op diet binged real bad half way through 2 week diet. Will this affect surgery. I really have found this hard but will keep trying

Seeing as some people don't do preop diet and others do much shorter preop diets I would think it won't effect surgery that much, but try to keep on the diet the rest of the time because one of the goals of the preop diet is to reduce the size of the liver so as to make the surgery less likely to have complications. Good Luck.

If u still have one week to go, and u stay on track from here on, I think u should be fine. My pre op is only for 7 days.

Doubt you have anything to really worry about. It depends on how strict your surgeon is about it. Some do long diets for a lot of reasons, some do shorter ones. Every Dr. does something different.

The pre op diet is hard...I have two more days to go on mine! I keep having dreams that I forget I'm on a liquid diet and start eating.

According to my dr., the purpose is to shrink the liver. My surgery is supposed to be only one incision through my belly button. If I don't shrink my liver enough, then I risk needing more incisions. I'm pretty sure they can still do the surgery if you messed up once, but it is less risky if you can stick to your diet!

As a fellow binge eater (who sees a psychologist), I highly recommend you get that under control. Binge eating is never a healthy habit.

Good Luck.

The pre op diet is hard...I have two more days to go on mine! I keep having dreams that I forget I'm on a liquid diet and start eating.

According to my dr.' date=' the purpose is to shrink the liver. My surgery is supposed to be only one incision through my belly button. If I don't shrink my liver enough, then I risk needing more incisions. I'm pretty sure they can still do the surgery if you messed up once, but it is less risky if you can stick to your diet!

As a fellow binge eater (who sees a psychologist), I highly recommend you get that under control. Binge eating is never a healthy habit.

Good Luck.[/quote']

Seeing a psychologist too now. It's hard but I'm determined. It all happened on a long trip to see family. Then they bombarded me with food knowing what I was doing I don't blame them I blame myself. I intend to get back on track tomorrow. Lost 8lb in 3 days do sure hope a whole week be helpful for surgery.

Thanks for the support guys.

My pre-op diet was literally 24 hours. I do think it depends on the surgeon. Mine was all about eating as normally as possibly for as long as possible prior and returning to eating as normally as possible as quickly as possible after!

Best of luck to you!

Seeing a psychologist too now. It's hard but I'm determined. It all happened on a long trip to see family. Then they bombarded me with food knowing what I was doing I don't blame them I blame myself. I intend to get back on track tomorrow. Lost 8lb in 3 days do sure hope a whole week be helpful for surgery.

Thanks for the support guys.

That is good. My PSYCHO is pretty helpful. lol Yeah being around other people can eat normally sucks!!! The first day of my liquid diet my husband comes home and says, "get up we are leaving. We are going to go eat your last meal at Ruby Tuesday's." I just glared at him I was soooo pissed. Obviously, I yelled at him for not remembering I'm on a liquid diet. I live with my family...my mom, dad, sisters so I just try to hide out in our studio outside so I am not bombarded. For the most part I wasn't even hungry, but the smells ugh sooo good. I made my husband stop on the side of the road to eat his mcdonald's hamburger one day. I thought I could handle it because I wasn't hungry, but then the smell was sooo strong and good. I was like you need to get out. The smell is just too much. So he pulled over and stuffed his face. It was much better for me. My family is supportive, but very forgetful.

We are almost done though! We can do it. I just keep thinking to myself, "If I can't be motivated for a week, then how do I expect to keep my motivation up for the rest of my life."

According to my dr.' date=' the purpose is to shrink the liver. My surgery is supposed to be only one incision through my belly button. If I don't shrink my liver enough, then I risk needing more incisions. I'm pretty sure they can still do the surgery if you messed up once, but it is less risky if you can stick to your diet!

Good Luck.[/quote']

Hi lifetime loser. My name is Amy. I read your post and I to am a binge eater/overeater. I had my sleeve in September. I am still struggling with over eating every day. I see a counselor but don't feel I'm getting any better. Any ideas on what I can do. My head realizes the consequences to over eating but I can't seem to stop

Thanks

Hi lifetime loser. My name is Amy. I read your post and I to am a binge eater/overeater. I had my sleeve in September. I am still struggling with over eating every day. I see a counselor but don't feel I'm getting any better. Any ideas on what I can do. My head realizes the consequences to over eating but I can't seem to stop

Thanks

Hi Amy,

Everyone is different, and for me being aware that I was a binge eater was really all it took. I wasn't even aware of what I was doing. Once I accepted it and practiced mindful eating I haven't done it since. I am highly goal oriented too. I am pre-op so I don't know how things will be post op. My psychologist recommended the book, "buddha's brain". there are also books on mindful eating that could help. Figure out what motivates you and reward yourself for good behavior...maybe that is a step in the right direction. Find out what your triggers are and work on that with your Psychologist. Do you like your Psychologist? If they aren't being helpful, maybe you should find someone else. All I know is change takes time and if you take it one day at a time...eventually you will reach a lifetime.